HybridZ

Chopped 240Z!

pparaska

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravisimo Henrik! Your artwork is so amazing. The attention to detail is just staggering. I could not believe what I was seeing in the pics, the craftmanship level is like some old-world clockmaker or something. You've got some genuine talent there. DAW

Id donate an arm and a testical to get my car to look like that. I wonder if it would be possible to order one of those windshields or another alternative? Ive been reading up on roof chopping and would love to have a slightly chopped z. Definatly sleeker. Combined with some other body mods I think it could look absolutly sick. I think some reshaped wheels wells would be great. On a really low car you could reshape the wheel wells to give it a body dropped look. I think some custom zg style flares would be awesome on it. Something with a little more bubble that carries the same about of extension throughout the diameter of the flare if that makes any sense.

Very nice work here. I'm impressed not only with the quality and discipline involved with the mechanical work, but even more so with the preliminary planning, thus insuring that you've got a clear vision on what you want to achieve. All ingredients for a job well done.

Yet again, thank you everybody for the kind words!

During the weekend, I have updated my site http://www.cardomain.com/id/chevyz240 with pictures and text covering the project up 'til today. I do have lots of more pictures, so if anybody is interested in something in particular, just ask, I might have a picture covering that.

It will take a lot of time before the bodywork is finished, as I am planning on widening the fenders (or the entire body) in one way or another. The front fenders will definitely be glass- or carbon fiber, but I haven't decided if I'm going to use steel or composites for the rear fenders. If the rear fenders and the doors also are going to be made of composites, I might just pull a mold from the roof, and have a composite roof lying around too! That would mean that I have a full composite body handy! Could be good to have, if I sometime decide on a full tube chassis with double A-arm suspension all around, which is what I really want to build! Or, If the car gets body damage (God forbid!), it will be easier to repair.

Not that I am sure I will ever do this, but if I do, would anyone of you perhaps be interested in these body parts? At least, you know what the roof looks like! Let me know.

Terry, very nice to hear from you, and get a link to your photo album. A couple of years ago, I found some documentation on your car, but I lost it, and haven't found it on the web again. Your car looks extremely nice, and I have used it as inspiration! You have really done a thorough and serious job. It would be nice to see the car in real life!

In general, I'm impressed with how many nicely modified Z's there are, all over the world! I knew it was a popular car, but I would never have imagined that there were so many heavily modified ones around, and good ones, at that. After browsing all pictures I have found on the web, I now realise that. I now have around 1000 pics of other Z's on my computer, too use as inspiration! (Well, some are saved to show me how NOT to do it too!)

Henrik Schiölde

Henrik,

OUTSTANDING JOB! I love it when someone makes there dream into reality. I agree with Terry on your peliminary drawings and planning. I did not have your artistic talants, so I am doing my car by a vision in my head and a few very rough sketches. I had thought of chopping my roof but at 6'3" I barely fit as it is with a helmet on. This was not an option for me. Please keep us updated on your progress. Rick Hughes

What a daunting project. You really have to plan for the long haul for this. I solute you.

Your buddy referred to the side windows and I was curious as to how you plan to solve that little challenge.

Again, fantastic. It gives the car the profile it always deserved.

Shelby GR-1 Concept

645045_2_full.jpg

Somewhat similar. Both are very impressive.

Henrik, I love it....looks like you have come up with a great look :D . Even the limited edition Shelby GR-1 Concept (if the do go into limited production that is) is still not a limited as your bute Zed.

Guest trickz

I've been thinking about this for years ( about 1.5"chop) and leaning the windshield back. The lines are right !! Good job ! Now I'm thinking again 8) Trick Z

Thanks again, all of you guys!

Rick, I looked at your car, it looks very nice. I wish I had my car on the road as much as you seem to have.

Dan, first of all I must say that the picture you included whets my appetite! Do you have any more?

Regarding side windows, I plan on using the template you can see in the pictures to make a mold out of. Then I will use this mold to hot-form Lexan or similar to create the double-curved shape I need. The quarter window will be attached flush to the body with some kind of frame. The door windows will be attached to a frame that will be removable from the doors, to allow cruising without side windows.

TomsCoupe and trickz, go for it! If you got some inspiration from my little project, all the better.

Henrik

WOW, im an aspiring fabricator. i just got my first milling machine lathe and surface grinder for $500 dollars :) you do amazing work and it is truely inspiring. i definately would love to see that beauty on the road someday maybe ill have to come visit :wink: i absolutely love what u did with the rear 1/4 window "jams" they are beautiful as well as the door modifications to fit the cage. right now im building a cage in an SCCA miata for free so that i can get time in the shop to build a cage in my Z. as for my own chopped Z i have more of an excuse to build one im only 5'5" which is another reason im building the miata cage.... if youve ever tried to build a miata cage youd understand hahah :) keep up the amazing work!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again guys! (Seems I've said this before!)

Thanks ZTR for letting me know about pro-touring.com! There are some fine cars there!

Sure, you're welcome to visit, peej410! So, are you chopping the roof on your Z yet? ;)

Right now, I am enlarging my garage, so my substitute sports car, a Porsche 944 Turbo, doesn't have to sit outdoors during the winter. After that, I need to get back to work on the Z!

Henrik