HybridZ

Painless harness to Z column harness (headlight combo switch

georgiaz

It's been a while since I have posted on this topic, but I am back on the Z finally. It's 32 degrees out, but with a tarp for a garage door and a big time propane heater it is 66 degrees in the carport. A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!

After looking at Bill's post and many, many others here and on zcar.com I seem to have two Painless wires left over for the ignition section. What do I do with the following?

Red Ign. #934 B+ and Pink Switch (coil/ign)?

I have the Painless 18 circuit kit.

I'm thinking that one or both join with other Painless wires.

Help?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had 5 wires going to my ignition switch, Don't remember which painless ones it was specifically, but I remember that two of the poles, i think, were the same output and I put a wire on each. Hope that helps some. If you need I can dig up my notes again and see what Iv'e got written down.

If you happen across your notes that would be great. Like everybody else finding time to work on the Z is hard enough, but when I spend hours scratching my head because I have little confidence in my wiring ability it's seems counterproductive. If nothing else I will give it my best shot and put low voltage to it with the battery charger to see what works and what doesn't.

I'll see what I can do. Right now i am working on finishing up the den and getting ready for my first ever hosted super bowl party, it will be in HD and i still have to put up my antenna and stuff. If you don't hear from me in a while PM me for a reminder, it seems that email is the only way to get me to get stuff done :)

ok after hours of doing this i have come up with some notes of my own, and i would like to add them ( this the painless 18 cir)

i did pic's so here they are

head.jpg

This one is of the head lamps swicth , have not got ot wipers yet..

trun.jpg

This is of the trun/ h/l beam swicth with horn.

I have not got to the wipers yet , i will work on that tomm night mabey.

right now im just so happy they work ( lights and truns)

i noticed the way you had your trun wires hooked up that when you hit your brakes your front truns would act like brakes also . well i got around that with mine by useing the wht 918 and hooking to the Grn/yl on the stock wires, then i moved the Lt Blu 926 and the blu 925 to the stock grn/red and Grn/blk on the stock plug and left the yellow 949 hooked to wht/red and the Grn 948 to Wht/Blk

this way when i hit my brakes only my brakes light come on and the rest works normal.

AnyHoot i hopes this helps some .. i dont know ...

LaterZzzz

(edit) i did not run a 4-way emg flasher this is without that) hated that push/pull thing on my dash)

• 10 months later...

I'll have updates on mine soon... Probably have it wired and tested by the end of the coming week, just before Xmas 2005!

In all my references, I'm using the painless 18 circuit kit.

This thread is priceless...

Mike :cool:

Glad to see it's still getting used. Kind of sad to think the last addition I had was last year this time getting ready for the Super Bowl and I havn't really done too much else on the car. But the one thing that works on the car is the electirc :) I can hook a batt charger and play with my turnsignals all night long!

Merry Xmas!

Im working on my 21 circuit EZ wiring setup right now, hopefully it will be done in a few days and I can comment on its quality and ease of install. thus far I've had a few issues with it but they were all simple fixes...at around half the cost of the painless kit I can handle a few minor problems.

I am using this thread along with the EZ wiring and stock wiring diagram and making my own notes for those that wish to go with the EZ setup...

back to work! :)

Sparkey, Be sure and post up your notes. Personally this thread has saved me about a day's worth of work! I only have to wire up my custom switchbox and starter button and I'm pretty much done with the wiring... I'll connect the battery over the next few days and confirm the connections! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

On the wiper wiring, What I ended up doing was finding the initial power feed wire, and the high and low speed wires. The two yellow wires and the red wire w/blue stripe are the three. The red wire w/blue stripe is your high speed setting feed, and I'll check the other two later today and edit this post with which is the power feed and which isn't. The other wires associated with the wiper stalk assembly are all blue or blue with stripes of various colors. I suspect they are for the variable speed wiper settings and the washer motor assembly. I ended up using the cigarette lighter feed because my nice new Painless panel wiper feed didn't have any power. I'll pull the panel off my cage to trouble shoot that on final check out of all the circuites and rewire as necessary.

Mike

OK' date=' A Pick of the wiper wiring for the low and High speed and power sources can be seen here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z CHECK IN THE NEW zCAR PROJECT FOLDER..

Mike[/quote']

Nice! thanks for the pic Mike...Its actually what I will be working on today.

question though, are you using the 240/260 combo switch and two speed wipers? reason I ask is that I have the 280Z switch and wiper motor in my car...I would like to save the intermittent function of the wipers.

good news is that I got all the lights and what not working friday afternoon, all thats left is to clean up the harness and start wiring the Haltech in!!! oh, and the wipers (for some reason I always forget about it....on purpose?)

Mine's a 76 280. I only identified the wires I'm using. There are four others (all are blue with various stripes) for the intermitant side and the washer bottle. All it takes it powering each of them for the various combos.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

i am looking at getting a painless kit too. just a few questions...

i am looking at the painless 18 circuit universal harness, should i get the GM keyed or the universal? i know this might be an obvious answer for some but i would like to purchase the right kit the first time...

also where is a good place to mount the fuse panel?

thanks

michael rebello

I'm not even sure I'd go with the 18 circuit kit. The 12 Circuit kit comes with all you need, and it has a few accessory slots you can utilize for the one or two circuits not included. The 18 Circuit kit comes with power windows, power doorlocks, and other items not used. If you go that route get the universal setup without the chevy column, since none of it matches up with their plug anyway.

Mike

• 4 months later...
Im working on my 21 circuit EZ wiring setup right now' date=' hopefully it will be done in a few days and I can comment on its quality and ease of install. thus far I've had a few issues with it but they were all simple fixes...at around half the cost of the painless kit I can handle a few minor problems.

I am using this thread along with the EZ wiring and stock wiring diagram and making my own notes for those that wish to go with the EZ setup...

back to work! :)[/quote']

Hi Sparky, have you by any chance completed your wiring, and made up the diagram? I'm fixin to try my luck with the EZ 8 circut kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kwik-Wire-8-Circuit-Universal-Wiring-Harness_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10076QQitemZ4591603740

• 1 month later...
Im working on my 21 circuit EZ wiring setup right now' date=' hopefully it will be done in a few days and I can comment on its quality and ease of install. thus far I've had a few issues with it but they were all simple fixes...at around half the cost of the painless kit I can handle a few minor problems.

back to work! :)[/quote']

Again.... Sparky, can you please share your EZ harness notes? I have their harness sitting here waiting on me to dive into it, and would love to see your follow up to this post.

thanks - joel

Again.... Sparky' date=' can you [b']please[/b] share your EZ harness notes? I have their harness sitting here waiting on me to dive into it, and would love to see your follow up to this post.

thanks - joel

oops :) sorry for not responding earlier...I didnt even know this thread had come back again. I have some time this weekend, so I promise to take lots of pictures, compile my notes and post regarding this. In the future though Its probably best to just PM me, guaranteed I will respond much faster :)