HybridZ

Painless harness to Z column harness (headlight combo switch

georgiaz

Sorry to ask such a stupid question but...

On the combo switch, are the wires on either side of that 9 pin plug the same colors?

I dont have the harness side of it! Havent been able to find one at a yard either :\

I don't think so. Mine are all green (I'm not sure where i got the plug from).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm missing something pretty critical. I don't have the wiring harness side of the 9 pin plug that powers the wipers. I can't find a plug at any of the scrap yards around here, and the couple of z shops around town want $buttload to supply me with one.

Since the Painless sticky's pinout diagram is for painless harness to the plug, and I don't have the plug, I'm screwed! I have no idea which wire on the one side of the plug matches up to which wire on the other side of the plug. Can somebody make me a pinout of the 9 pin connector underneath the column? I need to know which color on one side corresponds to which color on the other side.

Or better yet, if there's anyone in the Seattle area willing to let me sit in their drivers seat with a pad and a pen, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks everyone, and if you're in Seattle, gimme a call at 425-772-1481.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to ask such a stupid question but...

On the combo switch, are the wires on either side of that 9 pin plug the same colors?

I dont have the harness side of it! Havent been able to find one at a yard either :\

The colors should match from one side of the connector to the other. There may be a few instances where that is not the case but I've not run into that.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

So not to bring up this from the dead... but I recently got a 71 240z that needed to be rewired! Bought a EZ 12 mini kit and having issues with the wipers? Mine only comes with 1 blue wire that says wiper power? not sure how to hook that up and still have my 2 speeds? Am I suppose to add extra wire to wire the switch to the motor? Am I suppose to reuse part of the old harness? Why is there only 1 wiper power cable and nothing else?

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

question about painless harness to a 71 240z 4 wire tach... I'm confused about how to hook this up- I have a purple wire coming from the coil and a red white power wire to supply power to the guages-

the tach has a loop of wire white with black and white with red (same wire loops through a coil) a yellow/ red and a black...

assuming black is ground, how do I hook this up? I called painless today and they were like uh...get a chevy dude...

any help appreciated. thanks for this thread!

• 5 months later...

73' and up combo switch.......

10 ga Black.......................Ground wire for wipers, washer fluid wipe, Headlight Hi/lo beam (over to the turn signal switch)

White/red..........................Headlight power Input (+)

Red...................................Headlight power output (+)

Green/white.......................Parking light power in from fuse box (+)

Green/blue........................Parking light power out from switch (+)

Blue..................................Washer fluid input.....................................\\\

Blue/red............................Washer fluid output------------------------------->> button on end of combo switch

Blue/white.........................wipe while pressing the washer button......///

Yellow/green.....................Wiper park (-) has to be grounded for wiper to operate (first click)

Blue/yellow........................Wiper intermittent wiper timer (not active unless yellow/green is grounded.

Yellow/black......................Wiper Low speed (-)

Red/blue...........................wiper High Speed (-)

70' to 73' Turn signal switch
Solid red or black single wire that connects to the combo switch.........Headlight Hi/lo beam input ground wire.

Red/white...............................Headlight High beam negative wire

Red/yellow..............................Headlight Low beam Negative wire

Green....................................Turn signal input from 2-pin flasher

Green/yellow..........................Brake light input wire (+) from the brake pedal switch

Green/black...........................Front Right turn signal output

White/red...............................Rear Right brake / turn signal output

Green/red..............................Front Left turn signal signal output

White/black............................Rear Left brake / turn signal output

74' to 78' Turn signal switch

Same as 70' to 73' but no Green/yellow brake input and no front (green/red and green/black) turn signal wires. 

74' and up have separate brake and turn signals in the rear, which is why the 70' to 73' have 6-wire switches, versus the 3-wire switches on the 74' and up.

The 74' and up brake wire goes directly to the rear brake lights. Not through the turn signal switch

• 5 months later...

Yes a Ford guy found this! But I'm in need of some help on a 7/ 70 240Z. I'm in the process of installing the Painless 18 circuit 10102 for a friend. He wants to keep the original Tach, but can't seem to find how to wire it up?  I found this AWESOME website and it has helped me Tremendously on this project! 

Thanks for any help in advance,

Chris

Edited by Csrford