HybridZ

Roll cage source for '73 240Z

Guest Blazer406

Guest Blazer406

Hey guys,

I am about to embark on a TT V8 z car. I hope to run an 8 sec 1/4 on pump gas. I figure it will take a twin turbo/intercooled 383 with about 15 psi boost with good heads. (This should scare 1000HP). I need to purchase a roll cage. I want to be legal to at least 8.99 maybe even quicker. I am contemplating getting a shop (there are several within a few hundred miles of home) to custom build a cage. I also see people like S&W Racecars that sell pre-made cages. Are these neat and tight fitting. I really don't want a "universal fit" job. I want it to look like it belongs there. Any thoughts? What does a good roll cage cost after everything is done? How much different in price are the custom ones?

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

WITH AN ET OF 8.99 AND 1000HP YOUR GOING TO WANT MORE THAN A CAGE.... YOU NEED AN ENTIRE CHASSIS SUPPORT SYSTEM LET ALONE AND BETTER REAR END THAN ANY NISSAN IRS..... TRY THIS SETUP: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4638&prmenbr=361 SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM FOR DATSUN.... AND GET A GOOD FORD 9" REAR END WITH LADDER BARS AND A JEGSTER FRONT SUSPENSION AND YOU'LL BE GOOD TO GO WITH WHATEVER YOU WANT TO THROW AT THAT CHASSIS. ITS EVEN GOT PROVISIONS FOR A BIG BLOCK CHEVY AND CAN BE ADAPTED TO ALMOST ANYTHING ELSE.

Is there anyone running that chassis kit in their Z that I can see actual pictures of?

That seems like a pretty hardcore setup, just judging by the picture... like I wouldn't want to put that in a street car.

I want to do a Ford 8.8" rear end to handle the 600rwhp my SR20DET will put down through it. (and create less weight than the 9 inch)

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I'VE GOT A BUDDY WITH THAT SAME CHASSIS UNDER HIS CAMARO (HE OBVIOUSLY HAS THE CAMARO DESIGNED ONE) AND HE DRIVES IT ON THE STREET ..... IT HAS TO BE REGISTERED AS A CUSTOM OR KIT CAR. AND HE SAID THE CHASSIS FULL ROLLING WITH 350SBC, TURBO 400, BRAKES, AND WHEELS/TIRES MINUS THE BODY AND INTERIOR WAS SOMETHING LIKE 1700LBS.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

I'LL SEE IF I CAN GET AHOLD OF HIM TONIGHT WHEN I GET OFF WORK TO GET PICTURES..... ITS BEN AWHILE SINCE I'VE SEEN HIM AND YES ITS A BITCH TO GET IN AND OUT OF, BUT FOR THE TYPE OF POWER AND TIME THIS GUY WANTS HE'LL BE DEALING WITH THE SAME THING AND IT'LL COST HIM ABOUT THE SAME FOR LESS STRENGTH.

AS FAR AS I KNOW ALL THE 70-78 COUPES SHOULD BOLT UP THEY SAY 73 AS ITS THE MOST COMMON.

Guest Blazer406

NHRA rules are available online. I've been researching them.

I'm trying to do the opposite of your setup... it will see 95% street and 5% strip. Thing is, I have no problem with a semi-race car in traffic... been there, done that. My last car had a 395rwhp SR20DET, super short gears (4.90 rear end) and a racing tranny. All solid stuff... lots of noise and whatnot. I can deal with all this. I just don't want something that is not streetable.... Like I can't get into it in my Dockers and button up shirt :lol:

Guest Blazer406

The more I look at it, I am probably going to not try and do it all at once...... time and $$$$ will make it difficult. I don't want to be without some sort of hot rod for more than a few months.

Here is what I am thinking. I have the car now with original engine and trans. I am about to replace the R180 rear with a 3.545 R200 rear from a '76 280. I have a 375-400hp 350 currently in my S10 Blazer that I am about to pull out. I also have a built 700R4 with a $$$$$ Precision Industries 9-1/2" Vigilante 3500 RPM 7disk lock-up converter. I am going to install that engine/transmission into the 240 until I get ready to install the TT motor. It may take a year to get the TT ready... and I want to be driving the Z while I get my powertrain ready.

What do you guys think?

What kind of times could I expect from 330 RWHP in a 240. This combo ran 13.13 in a 3950# race weight S10 Blazer with driver. I was hoping the 240 would not weigh more than say 2800# with driver. If that is the case, I should be able to run at least 12 flat or a high 11 with the same combo.

Any suggestions?

Those times sound perfectly reasonable with traction.

I like your plan of taking your time on the TT motor, instead of trying to slam it together in a hurry.

I always want to start projects and get up to my neck in them... then wish I would've thought things through later on. My current project is getting a lot of time and research put into it, aiming for the largest outcome with the least money necessary to build it. :)

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

300WHP IN A 3000LB CAR WITH TRACTION WOULD GET YOU LOW 12'S.... HELL MY 240SX WITH 200WHP GOT A 13.5 WITH 2800LBS AND NO TRACTION.

Guest 73TPIZ

My '73 240 is 2460# w/o me and 2640# w/ me on the starting line. SBC w/ alum heads/rad/intake, etc, and 700R4 trans. Runs 12.70's-12.80's all day long when its hooking with ~235 rwhp from the dyno test. Stock stall leaving @1200rpm on street tires. I figure 12.50's if i had a little more stall and a lot better tires.

I'm hoping low 12's with the 355 going in soon (i hope), good stall, and good DR's. It'll still be TPI so i don't expect a large jump in HP, maybe 280-300 rwhp.

I pulled off a 11.138@ 121 and a 1.65 60 foot with mine when it dynoed at 352RWHP. This was with the stock rb26 stock booste and injectors. my car wieghed 2800 with me in it. as soon as i turned up the booste and started getting traction i started breaking rearend stuff.

8.99 OR faster you will want a full chassis. mine will be certifed to 9.00 and it has to have bars that go thru the firewall to front struts. the only part of the floor that is left is the section just under the seats. here's a pic.

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

• 2 years later...