HybridZ

Mountiong LS1 into 1971

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cyrus! burnout.gif

You used the Body control module? Does that mean you found a way to use the ABS sensors, 2 in front, 1 in the rear to get the wheel spin values etc. I have all the WS6 Trans Am donor stuff too, but I couldn't see how to use the sensors and ABS pump with the Datsun stuff.

I had my PCM reprogrammed. There were just too many niggling things to have to patch up. So, I went ahead and spent the three Cs. I have a BCM, harness ignition switch and key if anyone's interested. I think I paid like $50 for it.

Meanwhile, since I am no longer pulling the engine in and out (I hope), I don't need that 8 feet of garage space for the hoist - and it's the rainy season. So, I unjacked the car, move it forward and then back up again.

Except that I had a booboo - the crossmember slipped off the floor jack and so the oilpan came crashing down on the nice sharp cupped jack head.

;(

SO, now I get to pay for a new pan, and get to spend time to R&R the thing. One step forward, 8 steps back. Didja know the gasket is $65!?! Pan'll prolly be $150. Just in time for Xmas.

• 1 month later...

Got the pan in. Paid $35 - not too bad. Dirty though.

Exhaust is done. Ugly, but done. Gonna have to be re-visited at some point because it is gonna get mauled by speed bumps, etc. Too low. Sloppy.

Fuel filler is almost done. Just using a rubber radiator hose to connect the Maxima filler to the tank. Vent lines need to be figured out and routed (there are lots with the Camaro tank).

Need one more fitting for the vapor return. Need to actually attach the variou fuel related wires - they are run to the back, but not connected as yet.

Lots of little niggling things to do. Tryna track down the O2 connectors on the harness for instance. I know they're there somewhere. Still need to put voltage to the PCM. And install the radiator. Gonna fire the engine up first out of superstition.

Oh yeah, another simple thing - I don't have a doo hicky to attach the clutch pedal to the master cyl. Mine is metric, the cyl is standard. Gotta fab something for that. Throttle cable I bought is too short. K&N I bought is too wide (and probably too stubby too).

Gotta mount the MAF somehow. Bought some fancy drier vent for the air intake. Well, yes clearly it is not fancy for a car - fancy for a drier. Geechy for a car. Probably should try and hunt down something else but this was all I could find this weekend.

Soooo close.....

• 4 weeks later...

Started it! Still have wiring problems. My ignition switch is goofed up and I guess I have to get another one. But, if I jury it with a jumper (to the injector line), it starts and runs. The SES light is on though and it idles pretty horribly.

Unfortunately, I have completely torn apart the interior (dash, seats, everything) and all of the wiring, so, no drives for awhile. Need to get a scan tool anyway (AutoTap - another $300 I have to explain to the wife :( ).

Pretty exciting though....

Congrats Jeremy - starting her up for the first time is a rush. I remember how excited I was with my SBC install . . . and that was a doodle compared to the heroic effort you've gone through! I've been following with tremendous interest the trials and tribulations as you've progressed. I'm on pins and needles myself as I await the T56 I recently purchased from a fellow HybridZ member - sometime this week it'll be here. By the way, I'm the fellow who called the other day when you were up to you elbows in wiring - now I understand why you sounded a bit distracted. In fact, now that I've learned you were busy on the final stretch of wiring in preparation for starting her up, I'm somewhat surprised you even took the call! Anyway, once again, congrats!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest AlexVR4

I'm new to this thread, and I must say all the information has been most helpful. I'm about to start mounting an LS1 and T-56 into a right-hand drive 71 240 and wondered if you guys could offer any tips. I'm planning on switching everything over to the other side to move the motor away from the steering rack, but I'm still worried about differential alignment. Any advice would be appreciated. BTW, I bookmarked jeromio's webpage. It's a great guideline. Thanks