HybridZ

My 240SX rear IRS swap into my 240Z

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Navy I don't think you need to swap the suspension to make it live behind 450hp. You'll need to upgrade the drivetrain stuff, upgrade to CV's and possibly the http://www.modern-motorsports.com billet stub axles. I don't think the control arms are going to fold under the hp. Plenty of other guys pushing that much power and not having suspension failures.

Sorry about the misinfo about the Z31/240SX connection BTW. I thought they were the same, evidently I was wrong.

There are numerous options for high horsepower applications however for handling and suspension adjustability, I don't think you can match the 240sx subframe swap. I am in the process of doing it right now because I want to be able to lower my car as low as possible while maintaining good suspension geometry as well as a good contact patch. With the stock setup, the lower you go, the more camber you have. While this can be somewhat corrected, it is not as good as the 240sx with the upper control arm adjustability. I debated putting a solid rear axle in the back because they can take a ton of HP but once I researched the power and torque a late model R200 can take, it was a no brainer.

Look at any 240SX drift car in D1. Those cars make anywhere from 400 up to 600 HP. All those cars do for a living is spin tires and thrash around a track and I have yet to see a diff break on them.

I apologize if I sound a little biased but I am still justifying the swap in my head. It takes a lot of guts to cut the crap out of your pride and joy but I know it will be worth it in the end. :-)

There are numerous options for high horsepower applications however for handling and suspension adjustability' date=' I don't think you can match the 240sx subframe swap. I am in the process of doing it right now because I want to be able to lower my car as low as possible while maintaining good suspension geometry as well as a good contact patch. With the stock setup, the lower you go, the more camber you have. While this can be somewhat corrected, it is not as good as the 240sx with the upper control arm adjustability. I debated putting a solid rear axle in the back because they can take a ton of HP but once I researched the power and torque a late model R200 can take, it was a no brainer.

Look at any 240SX drift car in D1. Those cars make anywhere from 400 up to 600 HP. All those cars do for a living is spin tires and thrash around a track and I have yet to see a diff break on them.

I apologize if I sound a little biased but I am still justifying the swap in my head. It takes a lot of guts to cut the crap out of your pride and joy but I know it will be worth it in the end. :-)[/quote']

Extremely lowered MacPherson strut suspensions can cause problems, no doubt, and I would agree with you that there have been quite a few suspension improvements in the last 35 years. Navy's thing was because of the 450hp he said he needed to upgrade the suspension. I'm still not clear on why the hp necessitates the suspension swap. Drivetrain for sure. Suspension, not so sure.

Extremely lowered MacPherson strut suspensions can cause problems, no doubt, and I would agree with you that there have been quite a few suspension improvements in the last 35 years. Navy's thing was because of the 450hp he said he needed to upgrade the suspension. I'm still not clear on why the hp necessitates the suspension swap. Drivetrain for sure. Suspension, not so sure.

Now that you mention it, that is a little weird. Maybe he is like most of us with the "while I'm at it" disease.

Guest 81na ZX
Yes, the Z31 has a trailing style arm, the S13/14 is like the Z32. Most agree that the Z32/S14 is a better setup.

The z31 rear end doesn't even use coil-over-strut suspension like a real modern car should. I'd take a s30 or s130 rear setup over a z31...

Order up a victoria british catalogue, they have very nice diagrams in there. So does MSA IIRC.

• 1 month later...

Hi Maichor,

When you did your swap what was the clearance like with the top forward arm and support bracket like?

I have attached a photo of the party that I am talking about.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=3933

Did you cut away the frame where this comes close?

This seems to be the only thing that creates a problem for me with this type of rear swap.

Rob

• 2 months later...

I just pulled the R200 LSD out of two Q45's and will go back and do more measuring on the sub frame. I plan on removing 4" to 5" out of the subframe and using it in my 240. The fabrication does not look that hard and you gain the 5 lug and disc brakes with the only other expense being shortening the two shafts. What other problems does anone foresee in doing this? I have alot of welding and fabrication experience.

I just pulled the R200 LSD out of two Q45's ...I plan on removing 4" to 5" out of the subframe and using it in my 240... What other problems does anone foresee in doing this? I have alot of welding and fabrication experience.

The only thing I can see is that you will most likely have an increase in unsprung weight IF the suspension components on the Q45 are heavier than the Z. I was only under my Q45 once the entire time I owned it--I had no illusions of taking it apart, ever! Beefy rear diff, though, and if you can swap the rest of the suspension, you'll have astout rear end that should never break, even when drag racing.

Davy

• 9 months later...

*takes this suspension thread off "old-inventory" shelf*

what are the benefits of installing the S14 subframe to that of the Arizona Z Car rear subframe mounts for the R200 diff?

are they really all that significant? is it worth the savings or extra money (not quite sure after reading this thread) that the parts are going for compared to these:

http://www.arizonazcar.com/diffmount.html

i'd assume that the arizona z car ones are stronger, but they don't have the upper control arm to correct camber issues at low ride height.

im looking to install some wide fender flares, probably the wider ZG type. And i'd probably snatch some wide 9.5 or 10 inch wheels too, nothing over 17..... 16 inches if i find them...

so what do you guys say/recommend?

Careless,

I don't know if you read the whole thread but read again. The whole subframe is the one from an S14. Suspension, control arms, knuckles, diff and... Great swap !

If you read again you will see how much work is involve in the swap.

The AZC subframe bolts up to an R200 Diff that is LSD.

Rephrase you question. What is your goal ?

Nice to see someone close to Toronto !!!

Dayz

Careless' date='

I don't know if you read the whole thread but read again. The whole subframe is the one from an S14. Suspension, control arms, knuckles, diff and... Great swap !

If you read again you will see how much work is involve in the swap.

The AZC subframe bolts up to an R200 Diff that is LSD.

Rephrase you question. What is your goal ?

Nice to see someone close to Toronto !!!

Dayz[/quote']

hey, a fellow torontonian :D

know anyone selling a z with panels that havent been hit or rusted to ♥♥♥♥? I wanna start a resto project, which is why im trying to get this out of the way now, as i have some friends with 240's and some are s13, some are s14, and they know possibly know some hookups for IRS from them.

anyway... no real goal. i just want to build a kick ass Z that can do some light to moderate track use when i get the chance (i help hold lapping days and drift practices at shannonville during the summer)

im going to be attempting an RB30 swap with some good footwork to go with it.

just wondering what the biggest benefits are from the s14 IRS other than 5 bolt hubs and greater wheel selectoin :P

• 4 weeks later...
i used an S13 Non-HICAS check out my pictures. im not totally done with it, its whats been taking me the longest on my car because i want to make sure its right. all i have left to do is drill the front mounts for it, and weld up plates to strengthen them.

thats awesome man! nice to see the progress and what's involved. and your little diagrams are cute! :icon43: