HybridZ

My 240SX rear IRS swap into my 240Z

It will not bolt in. I had the R200 in the S14 subframe. To put the 300ZXTT diff in there, I had to modifiy front and rear mounting points (they are wider for the Z32TT diff.) I thought I could swap out the diff cover, but no go. I made a plate based off the R200. The key is getting the rear mounting plate welded in the right position to keep the diff where it is supposed to be. This is basically the process.

1) Make a plate for the rear mount. Drill for R230.

2) Cut out the Rear R200 mounts.

3) Weld in the R230 mounting plate. (The new mount will now be solid.)

4) Cut loose the front mounts.

5) Bolt in the R230.

6) Bolt the front mounts to the R230.

7) Weld the front mounts back to the subframe

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

S14 has a smaller axles, inner and outer CV joints. I never used S14 hubs. I used the larger Q45 parts. The question you should ask is about inner CV joints. I tried to make this swap as easy as possible. I used Q45 axles, inner and outer CV joints. The Q45 inner CV joints have the same 6 bolt evenly spaced flanges that will mate up to the Q45 R200 and the 300ZXTT R230. The outer CV will work with both as well. The 300ZX N/A diff is an R200 with 5 bolt flanges and WILL NOT mate with the larger Q45/300ZXTT axles.

Most of the above is off the top of my head. I will try to dig up my old axle measurements to confirm that the actual outer stub axle for the Q45 and the 300XTT are the same diameter and spline count. It is listed on this board somewhere, but I couldn't find it with a quick search. As far as I know they are the same. Even if they are not, if you have 300ZXTT axles, you can use 300ZXTT hubs. They will bolt right in. Here is some related reading.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131008&highlight=spline+count

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=90068&highlight=cv+cage&page=5

Yes, I did the Z31 hub swap to convert the front to 5 lugs. That is a very easy swap. You should be able to pick up 300ZXTT lower control arms and hubs from a salvage yard and you will have aluminum parts. The Q45 90-96 hubs will be easy to find, but the uprights and hubs are all steel. A the hubs bolt right into the aluminum uprights. So you can get the aluminum pieces from a regular Z32 and buy Z32TT hubs or simply bolt on Q45 hubs to the aluminum uprights.

• 2 years later...

This is old but I found it interesting to read. I have a couple tech things to add too.

First, I think someone tried to correct maichor earlier, in that the Q45 uprights are aluminum, not cast steel. I have a complete subframe from a '92 Q45 and they are made of aluminum.

Also, someone asked about the subframe/suspension weight. Mine is complete (vlsd R200) except for rotors, calipers and struts and weights exactly 250lbs. Granted it is much wider than the S30 track in stock form but it still seems about 100-120lbs heavier than the stock setups with an R200. How much to the hubs, mustache bar, diff mount, controlarms, axles/shafts weigh? shortnose r200 is 86lbs?

I'm going to try and take off about 50lbs (narrowing (10"?), removing harmonic weights, shortening front arms slightly, replacing cast steel arms with aluminum etc.) I will weigh what I cut out and unbolt from the car when I do it and post what I get.

Edited by Snailed

• 2 months later...

I had another request for photos. It is hard to get a good pic of the suspension installed because the jackstands only allow close quarters for picture taking. Saturday I should have the car on a lift and I will shoot more then. Enjoy.

Will try to post photos again.

med_gallery_284_927_69266.jpg

med_gallery_284_927_132524.jpg

med_gallery_284_927_104538.jpg

med_gallery_284_927_4278.jpg

med_gallery_284_927_81108.jpg

thanks for the photos, im going to be tackling this very soon, any tips/hints? (so you reccomend shorting the subframe up front?)

thanks for all your information, its helping me out greatly, i know how difficult it can be to capture photos through a build when your also focusing on the project. thumbs up for that. :D

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread. I just want to extend my gratitude to maichor for being a great resource. Since FLICKR is dead and his photo album has gone missing, does anyone know how to contact maichor outside of HybridZ?

TUME, your build has been inspiring, as well.

Edited by primeral

• 1 month later...

Anyone else performed this swap

Yes I have done this swap. I stripped my s13 including front and rear suspension, and the sr20det. The front s13 suspension will not work with sr20det because it is a rear steer.   

I have lots of pics and tips for doing the  s13 IRS swap.  I ended up with a Double A-Arm front suspension (NASCAR) style front suspension. 

The front s13 suspension will not work with sr20det because it is a rear steer.   

I´d say more like S13 front suspension can be done, but steering doesn´t fit because rear steer.

Btw, what is S13 front suspension. I have S13 coilovers and knucles. Control  arms something between S30 and S13. Does it count?

• 2 months later...

I´d say more like S13 front suspension can be done, but steering doesn´t fit because rear steer.

Btw, what is S13 front suspension. I have S13 coilovers and knucles. Control  arms something between S30 and S13. Does it count?

the S13 is a 240SX. I meant what I said. The s30 is a front rack mount. The s13 is a rear rack mount. the sr20 engine was designed  with the oil in forward of the s13 crossmember.  so If you put the sr20 engine in an s30 it would fit because it would fit behind the crossmember and the head would be right up next to the firewall. If you put an s13 suspension in the s30 you would have to put the sr20 way in front of the engine bay and the transmission shift would also be way forward. Or you could do like Kenny did and move the s13 suspension forward of the original s30 placement and put the sr20 oilman behind the suspension. http://www.nostalgicimaging.com/Project-SR71/SR-71/

I think i know these cars. I have owned an S13 now for 15 years and S30 5 years. Unless you haven´t notice, i have S30 crossmember and steering rack, with custom LCA´s   S13 knucles and coilovers.

So, can i say: i have S13 front suspension. Without moving anything.

Well, maybe i moved crossmember, but only couple of centimeters. Can´t say for sure, i don´t know original position any more. But my wheels are middle of wheel well. 

SR20 fits nice behind all that.

Crossmember are cut a little bit, nothing major. Knucles are swapped side to side, because that steering rack, and turning arms are modified for ackerman.