HybridZ

My 240SX rear IRS swap into my 240Z

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this thread. Only wish someone made the brackets necessary so I could knock this mod out even quicker. Looking at a 71z now and I am more excited about this mod than the RB sitting in the garage waiting for a home. Hoping their are others out there that have done this mod recently...Any additions for tricks...

• 4 weeks later...

ok so i got a JDM s14 rear end with hicas and all the good bits, but no shocks/struts and no diff. but im getting a diff casing for free, so i'll be able to mount the output shafts and the halfshafts can slip in there until i put a diff in there. im using it for alignment right now, and I have the Hicas toe rods, so that will allow me to make this a fully adjustable multi-link when i make the hicas a solid mounted bracket by ripping off the electric pump. im ready to do this as soon as my car is stripped =)

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to the forum…in the past I have built two turbo 240z and switching to a Suzuki Swift Gti turbo for awhile...Now coming back to my senses and I love Z’s and this forum...I just picked up an VG30de, harness, computer and IRS (with a R200) from a wrecked J30 with 60K miles which I was thinking of putting into a 240Z. Also will a 350Z 6 speed work with the VG30de?

And do you have the spec's (length, and diameter) on the stock q45 axles (just the shaft part) and the shortened axle lengths.

PS Love that GTO

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to bump this thread as I picked up my subframe the other day from an S14 (95 240sx to be exact) Non-Hicas. Complete except for a diff... i'm wondering if i can swap the internals from a long nose into the internals in a short nose r200. But anyway....

I'm taking measurements and going to draw everything up on CAD first. I'm a little confused though... how do you correct the 3/4" offset? since the 240 diff is centered?

I'm making custom mounting points off of either my roll cage or the tube chassis...havent decided yet. i wont be using 240sx shocks though, probably AFCO double adjustables. i dont think that helps you much.

those afco shocks look like a cool setup. and they are cheaper than some coil over kits.

but im wondering how they fair compared to a coilover kit for spirited driving, rather than drag racing.

I love this thread. Only wish someone made the brackets necessary so I could knock this mod out even quicker. Looking at a 71z now and I am more excited about this mod than the RB sitting in the garage waiting for a home. Hoping their are others out there that have done this mod recently...Any additions for tricks...

sorry it took so long for me to get back to this. I have measurements and more detailed pictures of the mounts. rear mounts arent totally designed yet but i have an idea. i will post up here a full spec drawing (putting my engy skills to good use!) and my thoughts for design on rear mounts. ive been outrageously busy and its been cold here which is why the only reason i havent gotten everything done yet.

sorry it took so long for me to get back to this. I have measurements and more detailed pictures of the mounts. rear mounts arent totally designed yet but i have an idea. i will post up here a full spec drawing (putting my engy skills to good use!) and my thoughts for design on rear mounts. ive been outrageously busy and its been cold here which is why the only reason i havent gotten everything done yet.

pffffffft.. cold?

we're supposed to get 10 inches of white stuff today :(

• 2 months later...
Then four stock cradle/subframe mounting bushes are soft, specially after a few years use. Much easier to replace them with urethane or solids before mounting it all up.

If it's for test fitting and alignment, i don't think it would matter much

• 4 months later...

subframe is mounted and everything except the ebrake is ready back there. I will post pictures fairly soon ive just been really busy with work and school starting. Im in the process of searching but anyone have an easy fix to make the 240sx ebrakes work? i can figure it out but im just wondering.

A note on mixing and matching, with the S14 rear end you can fit without modification an entire (stronger) R32 driveline eg hubs right through to the diff, brakes too. I believe that these R32 parts are very similar if not the same as those from a Z32 although apparently there is some variation between NA and TT Z32 parts.

The S14 uprights are retained, the R32's rotating parts and brakes simply replace the equivalent S14's parts. Thats all I know :)

mypic86.JPG

A note on mixing and matching, with the S14 rear end you can fit without modification an entire (stronger) R32 driveline eg hubs right through to the diff, brakes too. I believe that these R32 parts are very similar if not the same as those from a Z32 although apparently there is some variation between NA and TT Z32 parts.

The S14 uprights are retained, the R32's rotating parts and brakes simply replace the equivalent S14's parts. Thats all I know :)

Sweet. so if i got aluminum hubs from a R32, they'd have Hicas arms, and wouldn't be cast-iron? I'd like to retain the hicas links so I can put an eliminator bar, but the iron hubs are a little weighty.

Sweet. so if i got aluminum hubs from a R32, they'd have Hicas arms, and wouldn't be cast-iron? I'd like to retain the hicas links so I can put an eliminator bar, but the iron hubs are a little weighty.

I did not use the R32 suspension uprights/carriers, whatever they are called. Only the rotating R32 parts were used, I wanted to retain the basic S14 suspension even though it has an iron upright/carrier.