HybridZ
Guest JAMIE T

Aluminum hubs for Cobra 13" brakes

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

Finally in production! After months of designing and brainstorming with some of the most respected folks in the business, River City Speed is proud to announce the original "Cobra" hubs are ready.

After working out the problems we've found with currently available aluminum hubs, we have what we feel is a superior product. I'll explain...

Notice the dust cap doesn't thread on like the ones you've seen. It is held in place with high quality socket cap fasteners. While it may not look as smooth and blingy as the others, is is more user friendly in the fact that you can get it back off easily for maintenance. I've had a very hard time removing the "smooth" spin on dust caps from other hubs. There is a reason why NASCAR and other very high end, easily maintained race cars use the cap screw type fastened dust cap. Also, the wheel studs are high quality ARP screw in type, not pressed in. I chose this becuase aluminum fabrication is all I do. It is only a matter of time before knurled type studs will become loose in the aluminum hub. Also, ours have both Chevy and Ford lug patterns drilled and tapped. Your wheels are your choice! They feature close to stock S30 offset. The "close" is the addition of the Cobra "hat" rotor. On my car, I have a 18x9.5" wheel with a 5.5" back space, 265/35/18 tire under a ZG flare. Try that with a Z31 conversion! The hub pictured is the prototype, and is not yet anodized, but all hubs will be with your choice of color at no upcharge. Your hubs will come assembled with all bearings, races, studs, and seals installed.

Price is $425 per set. Caliper brackets will come shortly after.

511zhub-thumb.jpg

Sven    14

Very nice Jamie! The double bolt pattern is an excellent idea. What are the options for anodizing? You mentioned black or gold before.

:wink: Now, if these hubs give me less grief than my F250, I'll be a happy camper (I just changed a hub out yesterday, actually make that over the past week...not fun).

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

Thanks guys for the comments. I know it has been a long time coming. But, the wait is well worth it. The dust cap looks awesome peaking from through the center of my 18x9.5" Centerlines. I think I may run the wheels with no center caps. The cap screws add a nice detail to what would otherwise be a boring part. The anodizing is available in lots of colors. I'm doing one set in red for one high profile customer, Gold for my own set. I really like the natural aluminum so clear is also available. I think black, red, blue, orange, purple, green, gold, clear, etc... I will be at Mike's Shindig tomorrow for a show and tell. Exciting times here at River City Speed. Also, If you have any questions, PM or Email me, I will be glad to give you my phone number.

Mikelly    115

Simply a work of art... Jamie is VERY Accessable and VERY responsive... Don't hesitate to call him or e-mail him... I know of several cars these hubs will be on in the very near future, two of which are in my garage! :wink:

Simply Awesome...

Mike

Sven    14

Jamie, I think I'll stick with gold anodizing. I looked into my caliper issue. It turns out the Cobra and C5 Vette mounting points are a few mm off. So, they are not interchangeable. Maybe you already knew this :mrgreen: . The Baer GT calipers used a one off "abutment" (the frame that locates the caliper) that they were having PBR cast just for them. Here's a pic that might help out http://chris96ws6.mtfba.org/c5brakes/Brake%20Brackets/Cailiperexplode.PNG

They are effectively the same, but the new vette calipers have a few pounds of beef added, Cobra/C4 PBR's are pad guided, and the C5's are pinguided.

-This is all a moot point, because as of Friday Baer has no clue when PBR will get around to making these, if at all. So, provided you're able to stay close to your guesstimate on the caliper bracket, I'll take one set of Cobra brackets, and a set of Vette brackets. That will give me tons of options for an upgrade path in the future ...like 14 inch rotors that I really don't need. :lol:

Mikelly    115

Sven, Yup the C5 Brake caliper is a little larger... However, as we verified yesterday, The rotor will slip over the hub as well, and the Vette Rotors are $14 each through http://www.rockauto.com. That's correct, 13inch vented C5 rotors for $14 each... Compared to about $55 each for the Mustang Cobra!

And I for one, really don't care about anodizing... I'm not as into the bling thing as I am into the functionality thing! :lol:

We'll be putting together a Chevy package for my car for sure... being able to swap between my two project cars is simply to cool for school!

For the rest of you guys, this hub design is superior to ANYTHING I've personally seen... and I've had my hands on a few... :wink:

Mike 8)

Sven    14

Mike,

$14 a rotor?!? That's insane. I just ordered a set, in case that price is a mistake. Do you have rotors in hand- are these curved vane? That may explain a little, but for $14- who cares. How different is the offset on the vette rotor (actual disc to wheel mounting face) as compared to the Cobra rotor? Do you have a good source for the C5 calipers? I'm skeptical of auto parts store cheapies, they usually use crappy hardware, plastic pistons, etc. I also am tired of looking at Krylon rattle can red "Z06" calipers on ebay for $400.

Its a shame I no longer live in VA, I'd love to check out the setup.

-Oh and while the anodizing is blingy, anodized Aluminum takes a long time to corrode. Have you ever had to take a hammer to a wheel, courtesy of some bi-metallic corrosion? Also, gold is more pimpin' than BlingBling. :wink:

Mikelly    115

Sven, Go to http://www.discbrakesrus.com to check out some of the better sources for PBR calipers...

As for the veined vs. straight, these are probably straight. I'll have to dig one back out of the box and take a peek. But trust me on this... These are identical to the AC Delco units on my C5, and those do a tremendous job at stopping the 3200#+ c5. On a 2600# Z, it would be a NON-Issue!

Just bustin' chops on the bling thing... They were giving me crap last night for my Mesh Screen kit I installed in all the openings on the C5 Vette! :lol:

Mike 8)

Drax240z    561

Mike with your expected use anodizing might be a bit over the top, but for any of your guys planning on driving in the wet ever, or parking your car outside I'd spring for the anodizing. Your hubs will look way better for a LOT longer. They also are much more resistant to scratching.

It would be a shame to put a nice part like that on your car and ruin the effect with a bunch of surface corrosion!

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

All hubs will be anodized. Clear is available. The reason for this as Drax pointed out, is for corrosion resistance, not for appearance. Thanks guys for the complements. If you guys would just let me know if you are going to use C5 Vette parts or Cobra parts, I can make sure your parts are a perfect match. I think the hub-centric is slightly smaller on the Vette than the Cobra. What that means is the hub center will need to slightly smaller to accomodate the Vette rotor. It is actually, so close you may be able to hone the ID of the Vette rotor and it will slip right on.

Guest JAMIE T   
Guest JAMIE T

Damit, I was gonna get 24's! Now I guess I got to get me some 13" Daytons! :roll:

Sven    14

Hey all!

My Vette rotors arrived today (quick, huh?). They are indeed curved vane monster 13" rotors. I'm not sure what I expected, but they actually look to be a quality part for $14. No big casting flash boogers at all. The quality of the metallurgy remains to be seen, but remember we'll be stopping almost 1000lbs less car. I'm pretty psyched. All that remains is to have the rotors drilled for the Ford bolt pattern and hub O.D..

* Jamie, I'll still need the Ford hub dimensions to keep me hub-centric with my Mustang wheels, which is no change from before. I will be going with Vette rotors and calipers initially, but I will want the Cobra brackets also. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I realize I may have added confusion to this recently. Your use of the double bolt pattern has made this much simpler for me, as I had planned to use the Vette calipers all along. Thanks for making this possible!

Mikelly    115

You have absolutely ZERO worries with those rotors... Guys on corvette Forum and Z06Vette.com are the guys who hipped me to Rockauto and the $14 rotors. These same guys are using aggressive brake pads at track day events with THESE rotors and running VERY HIGH speeds with no failures reported!

Mike 8)