HybridZ

!Widebody! ~1/18th scale 280ZX concept (In Clay) Finished

Drftn280zxt

Well it took a while, but here are the results I achieved after about two weeks of sculpting and two days of painting (click the links) :D .

The Website and Top Angle View

Just Click through the pictures using the slide show the views will appear in the following order

Rear View

Front Three Quarter View

Rear Three Quarter View

Rear Angle View Side Profile

Side Angle View

Front Profile

Top Angle View

Back to front over top view

Tell me what you think. Not to be picky but if you want to display these pictures to other people please don't take credit for it, mention my name (Sean). Thanks. Now that it's done I really want to make it real, darnit I have to be patient and wait though until I'm done with school and have the cash flowing in. :( . At least i can drool over this in the mean time :D . These pictures really don't do it justice, its much prettier in reality.

Very cool man! Personally, I dislike the rear wing (although it would probly DO something besides "look" cool.. I'm sooo sick of big wings on slow front wheelers..) and the front end.. meh.. sticks out a bit far for my tastes (I like the "flat" look of an old school solid air dam with a small opening.) But I LOVE the rest.. The bulged fenders and lowered side skirts really make it look mean.. Build it!! :twisted:

You have know idea how bad I want the kit to be made! But it'll have to wait or be darn close to free to produce right now. Plus I got thinking fiberglass is awesone and all but c/f would be even better. Lighter and stronger. Of course I'd paint of it blue like the design. Other downfalls, have to have custom wheels made, custom headlights/taillights, and well one heck of an engine to accomodate that body kit. Any sponsers listening ! :D . Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep the ops commin, the more feedback the better. As for the front fascia well It didn't come out exactly to plan in this sculpt, better luck on the next one, when ever that'll be. Oh yeah while I was sculpting I designed up a fascia that is very similar but instead of coming way out it comes in and then out. Kind of reminicient of the original lines. I'll have to do a large drawing of it and post it (the original was like 1" by 1") , you old school folks will probably like it better :D .

Good job on the model, I think the finished product will look great.

I was studying those photos when I realized those headlights look familiar.

Take a look at the lights on a 2000 and up Eclipse maybe you could use some

of those instead of fabricating your own.

Best of luck to you.

David

812elipselights.jpg

812eclipse.JPG

Very cool man! Personally, I dislike the rear wing (although it would probly DO something besides "look" cool.. I'm sooo sick of big wings on slow front wheelers..) and the front end.. meh.. sticks out a bit far for my tastes (I like the "flat" look of an old school solid air dam with a small opening.) But I LOVE the rest.. The bulged fenders and lowered side skirts really make it look mean.. Build it!! :twisted:

I agree with everything he said :)

I think the eclipse headlights would be too wibe besides my design is a little more modern intoducing LED headlight technology and projectos style xenon technology with a little bit of that classic shovel scoop design. I'll have to pst some pics of my custom headlight /taillights designs along with the other front end. Out of curiosity why don't you like the wing. Personally I thought the car looked like it was missing something without it, but thats just my opinion. Thanks again for the feedback. Just in case it wasn't immediately evident but in this widebody unlike most the rear flare starts in the doors prematurely whereas most start after the door. Very rare among wide kits, more custom stuff for the better though.

Hey, drftn280zx2+2, About your comment about the CF. . . Most of these "carbon fiber" body panels are nothing but a fiberglass piece w/ either carbon fiber overlay. Most of the time, it's not even CF overlay, though. . . it's just dyed fiberglass weaves overlaid on fiberglass. . . What does this mean to you? It means that the "CF" parts you see that are affordable are either weigh just as much as the fiberglass counterparts, if not more.

Real CF, or dry CF, is far more expensive than any of the aformentioned. And the weight saving is, in fact, more than the fiberglass, but is not worth the cost unless you're going to race it proceffionally.

Here's an example of the price difference b/w dry and wet CF: your average wet CF hood in the states--$600ish (VIS, C-Wings etc). Your average dry CF hood in the states--$3000ish (electra, TopSecret etc.)

My suggestion is to just go ahead w/ the fiberglass idea.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

Hey' date=' drftn280zx2+2, About your comment about the CF. . . Most of these "carbon fiber" body panels are nothing but a fiberglass piece w/ either carbon fiber overlay. Most of the time, it's not even CF overlay, though. . . it's just dyed fiberglass weaves overlaid on fiberglass. . . What does this mean to you? It means that the "CF" parts you see that are affordable are either weigh just as much as the fiberglass counterparts, if not more.

Real CF, or dry CF, is far more expensive than any of the aformentioned. And the weight saving is, in fact, more than the fiberglass, but is not worth the cost unless you're going to race it proceffionally.

Here's an example of the price difference b/w dry and wet CF: your average wet CF hood in the states--$600ish (VIS, C-Wings etc). Your average dry CF hood in the states--$3000ish (electra, TopSecret etc.)

My suggestion is to just go ahead w/ the fiberglass idea.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com[/quote']

what you said is very true but theres guys on this site that provide QUAILTY real CF parts for our Z's and not at some crazy price.

Vince (Vintage Tech Z) on this site is one of them.

Mike

no but he will be getting on up very very soon.

heres a thread i started for him.

http://hybridz.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=37358

now the 1st pic was something i found on the net, its not his work at all, its not even real carbon fiber. i started the thread to see if there would be any intrest in the product. there was so Vince stepped in saying he would be making that part for a 1st run. order's were taken and well its still getting orders.

he will be making other products also, but he is only one guy and he is doing it on his spare time.

he does AWESOME work and builds some very very sweet cars.

and is in the prosses of building one of, if not the most badass Datsun Z.

Mike

Which body lines are you referring to? I thought I had the line in the middle of side pretty well done, but I admit I screwed up on the window line and the decending line of the rear quarters. Next time will be better. I'll probably do another drawing before another clay sculpt. Thanks for the comments though. Yeah I have to agree the wing I made is just a little too wide. Also I'm debating the position of the stanchions for it. Where do you think the best placement would be? Also as for the width of the wing, i think some where between the edge of the flares and the outside of the window. Thanks again.

It is a little exagerrated huh. Heres the thing I don't want flares like those seen on porches, where everything oraganically blends but I also don't want box flares. In reality the angel would be much less steep and the rear quarters (flares) would appear so flat, they would actually slope down more. I made the space between the rear wheels and rear quarter windows too small. Proportionally the model represents probably six inches of space where in reality its much closer to 10-12 inches I think. Also I kicked the door in too much in the model. The doors on these don't concave in that much, another overexagerration. What I really should do is find a ~1/18th -1/12th scale model of the 280zx (2+2 if possible) and scuplt right off of that. Than the proportions would be nearly perfect, and the lines much less exagerrated. Also back on the wing, I want it to be level with the roof line. I know this is very tall but I find cars with wings that are level with the roof line to look much better and more in unity than those with smaller wings. If my calculations are correct the new overall rear width of the car would be 72" (~70" up front). So I think any from a 60" wide wing to a 68" wing. Currently I have a 52 inch wing. Thanks again for the feedback Sir Daniel.

Is that real carbon fiber on your speaker box? You could really use a new set wheels with your setup. I think of it this way there are three types of Z's, refurbished Z's, just another car Z's, and Modernized Z's :twisted: . I think your going modern like me, your not alone, especially with the 2+2's wait and see we'll bring popularity to the 2+2 eventually. Keep up the nice work.