y-not

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

The MG buttons always seemed too large to me. Every honda dealer I checked with says the cvcc button is no longer available :(

We ended up buying a bunch off ebay till we found enough in usable condition. It's a tedious solution but eventually pays off.

The diagram I have..

located here:

http://members.core.com/~blonnde/new/Ferrari-Door-Handle-Mechanism.jpg

And if anyone comes across a bunch of perfect ones we will buy some :)

Chelle

Kenny,

There probably is - or someone like Speedracer might have pics of how the latches went together. We just used the cvcc buttons and made our own internal mechanism. The one shown in the drawings wouldn't work for us as we cut out the entire doorskin around the original handle area.

I machined a latch mechanism out of billet aluminum.

I have some pics but no drawings of what I made but what I did will only work if you did the rest of the door the same way we did.

Chelle

My Alpha 1 has a button of sorts. It's a rectangular aluminum button at the top-rear of the door. You push down to activate the latch. Is this what you're talking about? If so, I'll pull the door panel, take some pics, and post them later today.

Bill,

Are yours built off the cvcc buttons? have keys?

This car is already painted and has holes drilled - if it's something different then I would likely need to repaint to use... have some pics? I can't use the internal mechanism as designed by Alpha because our doors are modified inside.

Zerrari,

I believe they are 1974-77 cvcc 3 door. They are the rear hatch release.

Chelle

I agree with Chelle that the MG ones are too large plus they turn and not push. The Honda button is a more elegant and accurate solution.

Sorry, the diagram that Chelle posted was the only information I got from Joe Alphabet when I bought my kit. I wish I had taken pictures of them and the installation when I built and installed them. I bought my lock cylinders off the web from a Honda dealer. I think there were two part numbers that would work. I have the receipt somewhere but I am currently living in a rented home while we build our new house. Almost everything garage/car related is packed up and in storage so I can't dig it out right now.

I think either Honda changed their part numbering system or there was a replacement part (or different part number) for the lock cylinder. I would call or visit a Honda dealer and see what they can do. If you know the exact model Honda, and the years it was produced, I would think that the chances of finding them in a junk yard are quite good - but don't forget you need the keys too!

Sorry I can’t be more help this time.

Here ya go Duke

showphoto.php?photo=11036&cat=500

This is a picture of the Honda type door button installed on my GTO replica.

I routed out a small part of the fiberglass door panel using a rounded tip and then picked up an O-ring from the hardware store. Slide the O-Ring over the lock mechanism and push tight against the door panel while installing the retaining clip from behind. This keeps the button from marking the door panel paint and keeps it tight so it doesn't rattle.

Also, the Honda door button is manufactured with a rectangular boss running down its length. I ground a square notch in the circular retainer so the button would not rotate.

BTW, if you study the original GTO pictures you will see some of the cars had the finger pull facing downward and some had it facing towards the back of the car.