HybridZ

250 GTO door buttons

y-not

Hey guys... sorry if you already know this. I looked at a 1967 MGB GT yesterday and the trunk latch looks SIMILAR to the GTO latches... not exactly. I don't know how many MG's have this latch but MAYBE they're easier to find. Does anyone know if they can be used for the GTO??

I'll bring my camera tomorrow and post a pic tomorrow night.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks BfO... I forgot my camera so I couldn't post the pic:ugg:

Will the MG release button work? Anyone know where we can find them in quantity?

EDIT: Geez... I'm such an idiot. These were discussed at length earlier in the thread. Sorry guys:icon50:

You can find the MG buttons fairly easily. I found plenty of new replacement ones on ebay or you can try Victoria British: http://www.victoriabritish.com/ .

A few people have said the MG button is larger and does not look as good as the Honda button...but now that I know they push instead of twist I may go this route.

I emailed this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-MGB-GT-Tourer-Roadster-Lock-Set-2-Doors-1-Trunk_W0QQitemZ260081150161QQihZ016QQcategoryZ33648QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and he said he would sell a pair of the trunk latches w/out the locks. He says there is a discount for multible orders so maybe we could put something together.

ZERRARI... The trunk latches come with key locks, right? What is his price? Can he key each set the same? Do these come with the gaskets, washers, and nuts?

EDIT: For those with glove boxes... or want to add one... these might look good... though maybe too large?

EDIT #2: BTW, I'd like three (3) hatch lock sets. I need one for the trunk lid.

Having had a closer read of this thread there are a couple of points that need clarification. Speedracer states that the MG mechanism has a rotation function. The item I called MG in my earlier post/photo does have a rotation movement, but only to act as a lock, ie. it rotates the plunger to prevent it levering the latch mechanism but when in an unlocked position it is the longitudinal movement that actives the latch mechanism.

The item I called MG came with my kit and I have assumed it is MG - I have kept it attached to its latch mechanism in this photo so perhaps someone can verify it is in fact from an MG. The point of this is; assuming it is off an MG then consideration need to be given as to whether the fabricated latch mechanism discussed earlier will adapt to the MG lock.

The Honda locking is contained in the barrel of the lock, ie. preventing any longitudinal movement, whereas the MG plunger is always free to move longitudinally but when rotated will not engage the latch mechanism. Also my original comparison photo showed the Honda item with its original large chrome collar/spacer. I have removed it for this photo to show the stark difference between a fitted Honda lock and the MG one. I think 'chelle' has manufactured and fitted a smaller collar/spacer whereas Speedracer has discarded it altogether.

(Thanks bjhines - I've had a go but will need mor practice)

MG v Civic 2_thumb.JPG

MG v Civic 5_thumb.JPG

A few tips when you are trying to take a closeup shot... I do this kind of stuff for a living...

1: Find the close up mode button(little flower symbol).... It will focus with less distortion(fisheye)..

2: Find the minimum distance the camera will still focus(usually 5"-8").. Don't go any closer... Do not try to get any closer than this!!!!

3: Take the picture in the highest possible resolution and focus directly on the section you want a closeup of....(at the proper distance)

4: crop the high resolution image in Windows Picture and Fax Manager(MSOffice tool???)...

You can get INCREDIBLE MICROSCOPIC CLOSUPS THIS WAY... This was not possible with 35mm film... especially if you have 6MP or more on a new camera...

Mike.... I have NEVER owned a camera that would focus to less than 3.5"

But that aside... the closer you are to your subject... the more distorted it will become... AND HOW THE HELL does your little camera LIGHT the subject when the lense is less than one inch away from the subject... The flash needs some distance if nothing else...

The idea here is that you do not want to get any closer than you have to... The incredible resolution of a 6MP camera will allow you to take shots further out and crop them for close ups...

BJ... The on-camera flash won't light subjects which are that close. I use sunlight or artificial light. A ring-light is an option though I seldom use one.

The Coolpix auto white balance works very well most of the time. Nearly every image that isn't very close to neutral color balance can be corrected in photoshop. I use curves and hue/sat. Of course mixed light is another story.

This old 4MP Coolpix 4500 has more than adequate resolution for the web but pixel resolution is just half the consideration. Cropping digital images will result in lost lens and pixel resolution. This is essentially analogous with lens and film resolution.

Sorry for the verbose photo post guys.

Is there any update to the availability of Civic latches or usability of MG latches?

I think the Honda lock is the way to go, not only because of its size but because there is a diagram of the latch mechanism available otherwise you will have to create something new for the MG lock.

Here is my suggestion on how to find them. Make contact with an appropriate car club in your State, eg. Honda Civic Car Club and link up with someone who has a 73-77 Civic - they usually have two or three cars as spares. If they don't they will know every auto recycler in the State who has them - just like you know where to get bits for your Zed. It worked for me.

Here is the email I received regarding the MG latches:

"Dear JP

Thank you for your e-mail.

I wish I could say yes on this one, but there are 999 key combinations and I doubt I could get our suppliers to check all their stock as the locks are individually wrapped.

The lock does come with the washer and nut.

Kind regards

Dave Parker

Mechspec "

My feelings are with the other guys on this latch; I don't want to reinvent the wheel to make these work. I'll continue to look for Honda latches or use the 280z setup.

Yeah... I agree but where the heck can we find them?! It seems rather wasteful of time to spend a month trying to locate a couple of itty bitty parts. If there are just 4 of us looking and we all spend a month in the process that's 4 months labor. We could get together and have the silly things custom-made to exact GTO specs for less money than that.

I'm a bit frustrated here... as you can probably tell. It's the caffeine talking. I promise:flamedevi :mrgreen:

Here are 5 mock up photos of the latch mechanisim. After I took the pictures, I realized that if the set up was for the passenger side ........... I have the little flat bar on the wrong side this flatbar needs to shortened in length slightly and another hole added to accept the rod that release the Z door latch. The One inch flat bar that attaches with bolts to the car door is not shown. My next proceedure is trial fitting to the door. .... so I can figure out .what is next??????????????????. http://new.photos.yahoo.com/larryjohnson97438/album/576460762325374938 I changed gears and got into welding and fabrication to let my right hand heal. The palm of my right hand has two blisters from the hand held little grinders that were used to smooth and detail out the 240 and Canon intake manifolds for the dual DGV Weber down drafts that I plan to install. I took out the water jackets on both the 240 and Canon manifolds. The downdrafts may not be that great but for a stock 280 motor, they will work and will shine like a new penney. Anyone have some K&N oval (2)filters or a 390 CFM Holley for my Arizona Z manifold ?

Duke - I think the diagram in your post is from a 4-door civic. The button from a 4-door is not the correct one, it has a rotation action and not the longitudinal action of the rear door button on a 2-door civic.

I will post a photo of the two tomorrow, I've misplaced my camera. (done)

The one on the left is from the 2 door (the one you need) and the other is from the 4 door, it has a rotation action (unsuitable for the latch mechanism at the start of this thread)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

bj - thanks for the heads-up on the photography, I think I've got it.

2 door v 4 door 1_thumb.jpg

2 door v 4 door 2_thumb.jpg