HybridZ

Daytona Spring Rod Show (Long, Very Long)

Scottie-GNZ

Well, 2nd year in a row and I did not have my car ready for the show. This time it is 5 weeks into getting my I/C repaired!!

As a gearhead, after this show I am sad to say "Ho Hum". How many more ways can one hotrod a SBC? The only thing there imaginative and worth looking at was the same thing that had me scratching me head and somewhat befuddled. I am referring to Fiero-based "Ferraris". I counted 9 different Ferrari and Lambo body styles and 1 Zimmer. Yes, a Fiero with a copy of a Zimmer body Uh? Folks, A Fiero is a Fiero is a Fiero. I have no problem with re-bodied cars when well done, and some of these were excellent! BUT, recognize it for what it is and do not put 6 "Ferrari" and prancing-horse badges on the car. Eventually you have to look inside and see the most HORRID dash ever designed. One car had to GALL to put a "Ferrari" badge on his engine lid and a plastic Ferrari engine cover his totally unmodified original 4-cyl engine, an engine not even worthy of a Fiero. Refused to take a pic of that!

What really floored me were a couple that had the 550 Maranello wide-body (Oh, the sacrilige). The body was at least 15" pass the hub, so what did they do? Obviously a wide rim and tire BUT how about a backspace so deep that it required a spacer so wide you would not have believed me if I told you so.

fiero-wheelspacer.jpg

Ricers gone upscale!. Enough already. But wait, there is more. Sad to say, some of the Impala SS crowd are just grown-up ricers at heart. I saw one that had every imaginable gauge in the car, including a voltmeter and ammeter. Just cannot be too safe. Oh yeah, a vacuum/boost guage. LMAO.

Back to the Fieros with a positive note. There was some sort of national convention for Fieros and there were well done hybrids. Several SBCs, Buick S-charged 3800 (boy is that a sweet swap) and the prize goes to a couple of Northstars. Check them out. Note the bottom of the pic in the 2nd one! Always appreciate a well done hybid.

fiero-ns1.jpg

fiero-ns2.jpg

Yes, there were a couple of Z cars there. A nice red 250 coupe. If you are reading this, step forward and take a bow. Did not have the camera with me when I saw it. There were 2 hybrids for sale. One black with stripes and a SBC. Very nice car. Step forward, identify your self and take a bow. The other a wild wide-body with a S-charged SBF claiming 550hp but no performance stats to back it up. Very nicely done and asking $22,500 YIKES but 2thumbs.gif If you are reading this, please tell us more. Note the black Z in the background.

z-widebody1.jpg

z-widebody2.jpg

z-widebody3.jpg

Guest blue73z

For more information on the red Z go to WireWheel. I would definately suggest browsing through some of the other cars they have for sale. All very nicely done, but expensive. Check out the MG section, they have a pretty sweet lookng hybrid MGB roadster.

Aaron