HybridZ

Cougar ate my dog!

Guest zthang43

Guest zthang43

I'm really bummed. I had this cool little dog (well, about 60lbs or so), she was part Newfoundland, part black Lab, and part Basset hound. She was only 1 year old, and was pregnant with puppies. She was pretty chunky, and very affectionate; one of the funniest and most faithful dogs I've ever had.

She went missing on Friday night when a bunch of dogs in the area were going nuts, including our other dog. they do that sometimes though so we didn't think anything of it, but then she never showed up for food, so on Sunday morning my dad used my other dog to follow a trail the dog smelled, and in the valley behind our house he found several piles of bones where a cougar had been eating it's kills. He found one fresh pile of a few dog bones and black fur that matched my dog. I guess the cougar probably ate some of her and drug the rest away.

So needless to say I'm kinda sad. I'm trying to figure out how to catch that cougar; it has been eating other dogs in the area too. If I see it I will kill it; regardless of what the rules are.

Anybody else had to catch something like that?

Sorry for the sad post guys.

Guest Anonymous

sorry to hear that man, it sucks to lose a pet. i would probely go after that cougar myself as well. if it has gotten bold enough to stock prey in your neighborhood who knows what could happen if say a kid/person was walking home or to a friends house at night? i know that they don't normally go after people but if its gotten this brave...who knows.

I love animals, and think that we as humans can learn a lot from them. But as stated, we are just as responsible for this as the cougar is. We come in like a virus, destroy all that is in our path, and then shake our heads wondering why there are consequences to our actions (as a whole).

Before I get flamed, I wanted to redress that with the fact that yes, I drive an SUV, and yes, I destroyed about 1/4 of an acre of forest to build a new house where none existed, and drive a HybridZ occasionally. So urban sprawl and pollution is partially my fault too. But none the less, as a species, I am very disapointed in our actions in relation to our place amoung nature and other humans. We pushed the indian off his land, the cougar of it's. In only less than 300 years (a blink of an eye in history), we've scared the face of this country in an amazing way. What damage will we do in the next 300. Will I give up my creature comforts to change this? Perhaps not, but that's no reason to continue the current practice of never ending expansion, because that's what a virus or a cancer does. ;)

Guest greimann

Dude, that is sad, I lost a dog once and that is no fun...... but I bet you could find a pair of Presa Canarios on the cheap, and with a little training...... b_hand.gif

That's very sad news. I know how painful it is to lose a dog, I lost three in one day. :( Unfortunately, this cougar definitely has to be destroyed. I'm not sure if going out and handling it yourself is the best way either, maybe you should contact the proper authorities and see what they can do? I urge you to not let your emotions get the best of you and be safe.

our neighbor last year had a coyote come in and pick up his little jack russell.. he heard the yelping (fortuately) and ran after the coyote screaming and the coyote dropped the JR about 100 yards away. a few more seconds and he would have lost his dog. i was pretty suprised that a coyote would come after a small dog.

i agree with Terry on the building though. we also are on a 1/2 acre and intentionally bought next to farm land hoping they could never divide that up. well that side of us is still cows but the other side of the street has all gone lots about 8 houses per acre and the 50 acres of bush that was near us has dwindled to 20. we arent high enough for cats but coyotes abound. they will be in peoples back yards soon if they dont get their **** together and protect some land from developers.

sorry to hear about your dog... i lost my "kid" last year but to old age. i had her for almost 14 years - i never had a dog die in front of me naturally before, had to put other dogs down from illness but this was tough .. she was fine at 6 pm and at "cookie time" 8pm she was breathing funny and it was like she was hallucinating. carried her to her pillow and comforted her there-- her breathing gradually slowed and by 11pm she was gone... Rotty's generally dont last that old and every day i knew she was on borrowed time but nothing can prepare you for the final moment..

Guest Randy Mellema

Man, Sorry to Hear the Sad stories, But I'm glad to hear there are other Animal Lovers here.Mine has a bit more of a Happy Ending though.....Working in the garage Late One Evening...On the Z of course, Laying under the car turning some wrenches, I Heard some scuffling out behind the Garage, So I go to check it out...I see the shadow of What appears to be a Very Big Cat, Leap over the back fence and run accross the field. So I call The "Daisy Dog"(115lb. 2 year Old Female Rottweiler)into the garage....And What a Horrific site I Beheld....She had a Large cut running from the top of Her right Ear all the way down to Her Snout......and An Even Bigger Gash on Her Left Paw.....Before Panicking, My first thought was Of My "Gimp Dog"never being able to Run, Jump and chase A Ball like She Lives to Do......So At 4:00 am on a tuesday morning, I carry my Baby into the house and Rudely awaken My Wife.....Now I'm the One that is Always Calm, Cool and Collected in Situations Like this, But She sensed I was in a Panic, Which Imediately through Her into a Panic....Mean While, Daisy-Dog is in Slight Shock, and Just lying there looking at us Like "Hey, I'm the One Hurt Here" !, So once I finally calm down, and talk to the vet, They say "Bring Her In imediately".The Gash on Her Leg was so bad, That you could see the Bone, tendons and the Like Hanging Out, No Blood amazingly, but a Very grusome sight None the Least....It required 33 Stitches to Sew Her Up, And Although No damage appeard to be Done on the Inside, They weren't guarnteeing a Complete Recovery......So the Next day, As I'm taking the "D-Dog" for her Bathroom Walk, The Neighbor Asks me "If I saw the Bob-Cat Behind Our Garages the Other Night".....I said that"I didn't get that good of a Look", But Daisy Did" !!!......Well a few more days Go by and just as I had crawed into Bed, My wife was Getting Up for work...I had no sooner fallen asleep, When I was awoken to Her Frantic Screams "There is a Cat In the Closet".....Like I said, I had just fallen asleep after a long night of work....So I Reply " Of course there is a cat in the Closet, We have 6 of them and That's where they Sleep"......"Now Let Me Sleep "!!!!!This time Even louder " It's not our Cat, and it's VERY Large"...This got My Attention.....Let me back up and Tell you, First, We leave the Sliding Glass door cracked so the cats can come and Go as they Like(Saves on Litter box Changes) And I converted One of the Bedrooms into a Walk-In Closet, Complete with tons of wood shelves and LOTS of hanging space.....So as I'm walking into the Closet, All of Our Cats are running out...She points into the Corner of Her Closet( I Imediately glance at my .357 sitting on My shelf)....So I Pull back the Clothes to have a Peek.....And With out a Moments time to react...This Enormous Cat Jumps out at me, I jump out of the way and He Proceeds to leap up at All of the Clothes on Hangers and is Ripping them All to the Floor...I Go for the gun, and She is Screaming NOT to shoot it In The Closet, Meanwhile It is Obviously Scared and Demonstrating this By Spraying Urine and Feces All about as It Rips the Clothes off of the hangers...it then Runs through the House , Past the Sleeping Gimp Dog , Bounces off The Sliding glass Door, Runs across the Counter top, Refrigerator, Spraying the Whole Way, and Into the Laundry Room....So as We Stand there in the Kitchen, With a Second to gather Our Thoughts, My Wife Mentions " Hey, that Big Cat, Doesn't Have a Tail"....Not Appreciating this Kind Of Fun, this Early In the Morning, I sarcasticly State " Gee, it has Some Large Tufts on it's Ears Also" !!!....So My Darling wife Says " We need to Call the Department Of Natural Resources and Have Them come and Catch this cat and Release it Somewhere Else".....By This time, I just wanted to get My Revenge and Go Back To Sleep !!!..."Um, Honey, Remember about a Year Ago , and you wanted to move Further north , Away from the Big City of Atlanta"?...Well, Were in the Boonies Now, And Well..."WHERE IN THE HECK DO YOU THINK THEY RELEASE THESE CATS TOO??? IT"S NOT LIKE HE JUST WANDERED DOWN INTO TOWN, HE LIVES IN THE WOODS BEHIND OUR HOUSE "!!!!!!About this Time "Gimpy" comes Hobling in to See what All the Excitment is, And She Catches the Scent....To the Laundry Room She Goes , Not Learning Enough Of a lesson from a Couple of Nights before, Meanwhile, I open The Sliding Glass Door WIDE, and get a Pack of FireCrackers out of the "Junk Drawer", That I have Stashed just for Occasions Such as This....So the Plan is For My wife To hold the Dog In the DoorWay between the Living Room and The Kitchen, And I would Roust "Satan's Kitty" Out With Some "Red Devils".....Dog Secured,..Fuse Lit..."Fire In The Hole"...Out Comes "BoB", Daisy Starts Barking Right on Cue, and Out the Back Door the Little Moster Goes.....Now it's My turn, With a Little Help from "Smith And Wesson".......Well at Any Given time I have at Least 10-15 cars in My Back yard, and Of Course By Now, ALL notions of Logic and Reason Go Out The Window(Or Should I Say "Back Door") I start "Busting Caps" and this Damn cat is Making Tracks Over and Around All my cars.....So After the Windshield in the 63 Cadillac, Fender in the 64 Buick, Clean through BOTH Doors of the VW 412,WindShield/Seat of the 57 Cadillac,and the tail gate of my 79 chevy truck, I managed to Put one in the Evil Creature's back Quater !!! It Did manage to Crawl away, but I did find it later that Afternoon , DEAD in the Back Field.......This All happened about 5-6 months Ago, I'm Happy to report That Daisy dog Has made a Full recovery and Is back to Her old Ball chasing Self Again...We have installed a Small "Cat Door", And I have built a 10 Foot fence around My back Yard... I have yet to repair All of the Cars, but have had no incidences Since.......

AND YES, I realize that This happened, Because the Cat Was Hungery and It's Natural habitat had Been invaded by Us over the last Year, I do Not recomended taking this Kind of Action Into Your Own Hands, As with any Situation that has your emotions and Adrelin Pumping,Common Sense and rationilization are lost to Rage and Coupled with FireArms, Accidents are Abound to happen, Just ask my poor cars.............Randy

what you should do is get with your neighbors and call your local wildlife and fisheries agents aka game wardens. show them what you've found and let them handle it from there. chances are that the reason the cougar is acting this way is b/c she has a litter of cubs somewhere. we had a similar problem down here with a resent resurgence of cougars and the wildlife and fisheries dept. had to address it to protect the safty of the public and the cugar. they have the ability to trap it and move it . i'm afraid if you take measures into your own hands you could be looking at a serious fine or even jail time. so be careful about your actions. also i'm sorry to hear about the loss of you dog. i know how they can sometimes become more of a member of the family instead of a pet. good luck with your problem

Guest Anonymous

SORRY to hear of your loss. We also lost our oldest and dearest dog this year to a cougar. It is never easy to deal with the loss.

Our pets are not pets they are members of our family. Unfortunately my wife and I were raised in the city where death by car was the norm growing up. Now that we live in the deep boondocks we look at the death of one of our little loved ones a little bit different. When an animal kills one of them we see it as natural. Yes the pain is the same, but death in nature is apart of life. Being hit by a car is not.

Our Pete was attacked twice before and a great deal of surgury survived. He had most of his fangs broken in the second attack so we know he got his licks in too. Even after his death I did not take my Walker Hound, which was bred to hunt cougars and go and kill it. All though it would have been easy. I did not truly believe that I had the right to do so. The cougar did not kill out of spite, anger ,or meanness, it killed because thats what it does to survive. Now if my neighbor killed my dog I would probably hunt him down and kill him be cause he would have had choice in the mater but the cougar did not.

Once again I am sorry for your loss, but please do not kill and animal for just being what it is. If it is a threat then let the game department handle it. They can move it to some place safe for you and it.

Very sorry to hear about the dog frown.gif

BTW, anyone that thinks 'we' are invading 'their' habitat forgets that we have a right to this planet too---anywhere we darn well please. If you truly believe in evolution, we people are just animals, and since we have evolved to the point of being the master species, then screw everything else--that's the law of Darwinism in it's purest form! Don't bother feeling sorry for the kitty 'cause he'll never know or understand what hit him. Sound harsh? Nope, it's just survival of the fittest! :D

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to hear about that man, animals are the most forgiving and will love unconditionally, more so than any people your ever likely to meet. Sorry to hear of your loss.

We lost two animals in the last two years and everyone just kills you, specially when you have to put them down. I've just in a way lost another dog too, I'm getting divorced (wasn't my idea :rolleyes: but I had no choice in the matter) and as I'm moving to Az, I don't have room for my pitbull/sharpei mix so the wife gets to keep her.

I'm pretty bummed about it, she's a great dog, and soooooooooooo protective, she'd make someone extremely sorry if they ever advance towards me in anger, even playing she bites hard enough to know you don't want for her to be serious.

Losing pets sucks anyway you look at it. Once again, sorry for your loss.

Regards,

Lone

Guest zthang43

yes it s tough losing a good friend like that. The fish and wildlife department said they could catch and release the cougar somewhere else, but since cougars are territorial, it would most likely be killed by another cougar. They also told us several years ago that an animal that was killing pets and possibly endangering humans could be killed without repercussions. However, my friends dad has a cougar tag he might sell me, and cougar season is open for another week or two, he thought.

I agree with those of you that say that we are encroaching on the animals habitat, but I don't think that is so much the case here. One; I have lived here longer than that cougar. Two; there is nothing but a small road between my house and close to 2000 square miles of unpopulated mountains. I'm pretty sure this is an old cougar; there has been one in the area for 8-9 years at least, when it was younger about 6-7 years ago we saw it playfully chasing my dog across the porch. (The dumb dog turned around and chased the cougar when it ran away after seeing us.) I'm thinking that if it is an old cougar, it may have discovered that dogs are much easier to catch than deer.

I'm also concerned because there are several small children in the neigborhood, including my 8 year old sister, who walks about a mile down the dirt road to the house from the bus stop every day. So far this cougar has never threatened a human, but why take a chance on a small child?

I would gladly kill all the cougars within 50 miles if they were threatening my sister.

So, I hear what some of you are saying, but I'm still planning on killing that cougar. Not for revenge, but to protect my other dog, and the little kids in the area. Like this: twak.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about all of your pets. I had 2 of our cats killed a while back by some stray dogs. I chased them on foot and they dropped my wifes cat but it was pretty much a gonner. We had to have her put to sleep and when we got home we found my cat dead in the yard. I was enraged at this point and strapped on my full house custom government model .45, jumped on my 4 wheeler and went tearing through a relatively peaceful golfcourse neighborhood looking for the dogs.. I didnt find them but animal controll did.. probably a good thing..

Here may be a solution to your cat problem...

www.outpostnet.com/abo/index.html

When you get there look under the American Bulldog Gallery then Gallery #2 about midway down is a picture of an American Bulldog AND a Cougar.

I unfortunately have to give mine away. She is staying with my parents while I relocate and the neighbors weenie dog squeezed through a hole in the fence chasing a cat. Needles to say the weenie didnt fare too well and my mom is now terrified of the Bulldog.. I have tried to plead my case that she was just being an animal and protecting her yard but it doesnt seem to be working..

Myron

Having two dogs myself I know exactly what you are going through. My dogs are part of the family and I would go ape ish if the same happened to my babies. When I was 12 I had a cat that I loved and cared for. I had him since he was a little kitty. Unfortunately he also was eatin by a bigger cat....a coyote.

Here's a pic of my Rex and Princess

Rex.jpg

Princess.jpg

Thats the one!.... looks like the Dog has the

power to weight ratio on his side!.. They use

male American Bulldogs to hunt hogs... BIG ONES..

I have seen pictures of a male latched onto a 280LB feril hog.... the owner of the dog finished him off with a buck knife. From the picture i saw it looks like the owners will put a kevlar vest on the dog to prevent goring form the tusk of the hogs...

I have a great pic of my 19 month old son and the dog, but I cant figure out how to post it...

Myron