HybridZ

L28E Turbo smog....

Gollum

So, first off... does a pink slip for a 280ZX turbo actually specify turbo on it?

Now, my friend who works for the smog ref thinks I could pass off a N/A modified to a turbo as a stock turbo car, unless the person I brought it to actually knew something about the ZX cars, and even then as a last resort I could get a motor swap bar from the ref.

SO... What is actually needed to change a L28E into L28ET? Intake (obviously), exhast, what else? Is the compression different? Is the head different? Different cams? Odds are i'll end up canibalising a dead turbo motor since my motor is just over 27k now.

But, if the compression is actually different i might just end up buying a L28ET in good shape, or a rebuilt L28ET. (anyone have a link to the person that on3go is getting his motor with? I lost all my links in a recent format doe. Always something i forget to back up.)

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 77 with 81 motor.it has a bar label in the door-car was certified at ref station.the 81 zxt electronics dont give 21st century driveability.i have a smog license and work as a dealer tech for a ford dealer.dmv renewal always comes back as test only every other year.that sucks since i cant test my own car.but i can pretest it.the na efi system and the turbo efi system are not close to being the same.