HybridZ

Complete SBF Conversion Kit

sulla

Since starting the research on this I am wondering why we dont have a complete converion kit for the ford. Or atleast a book. It seems this is what is holding back seeing lots of Ford conversions. We have LOTS of wrecked 5.0 mustangs. Plenty of 351w in the wrecking yards. Plenty of cheap go fast parts thanks to all of the 5.0 Mustang owners. Why dont we start something like this in the Open Source type format like they do for software?

If we do start this what parts/info are we missing and what do we have?

A list of things I can think of off hand we would need info on. Really I am thinking for 90% of the project it would just be collecting and orginizing information.

1. Motor mounts and information on how they relate to motor height, hood clearance, trans position etc etc.

2. Clutch conversion for the T5. Also of course for the easer automatic for people wanting to go that way.

3. 5.0 EFI wiring information.

4. Header and exhoust information.

5. Drive shaft.

6. Cooling system

7. Air conditioning.

Sure I am forgetting many things but its a start:)

I'm up for this.. (still got the 351 bug.. it's gona be dorment for a year or two though.. extenuating circumstances) I'm sure the hydraulic clutch could be an easy mod... I built a V8 RX7 a few years back, and the guy I bought my engine mounts/rear axle from had a good system (He builds V8 rx's for a living... awsome..) using 'off the shelf' matched master/slave cyls from somewhere aftermarket (can't remember) to convert the older cable clutch system (chevy) to work in a mazda. He builds a bracket that bolts on the block, that the slave went through and pushed on the throw out fork.. I'm sure this is doable for the ford.

I'll talk to my mustang friend.. he's got lots of links to ford stuf on the web, and can probly get a diagram of the ford EFI.. he knws a lot about the headers availible/deck hights of motors/oil pan swaps/ect also...

Sulla,

Sounds a little like you've been nominated to be the project lead on this. I would be very willing to help except that I scrapped my plans to do the SBF swap when I found a LT1 for a very good price. I suggest contacting alsil and blue oval Z to start with and see if they have any journals or notebooks on all the work and research they did.

Here is a list of the itesm that are the "issues" with the SBF swap that have been solved at one point or another.

1. Motor mounts:

Alsil's mount, solid mount using plates, set back adapters similar to JTR

2. Steering shaft to header clearance:

U-Jointed steering shaft, convert to Ford power steering, mount engine higher

3. Clutch slave cylinder:

Hydraulic throwout bearing, pull type slave conversion

4. Drive Shaft:

Use the adapter supplied by JTR to have a drive shaft built.

5. Cooling System:

Use JTR radiator mounts with any appropriately sized radiator possibly even the one JTR sells.

6. Ford EFI wiring info is availble on the net, unfortunately I didn't get this far in my research so I have no info.

7. AC: I wasn't going to use it so again no info.

I know that Alsil's site http://zcar.netdojo.com/main.htm has tons of info and so does Terry Oxendale's (blueovalz) site also has tons of info and lots of pictures.

Wish I could be more help, if I do another Z it's going to get a 302 I'm very interested in this idea.

Wheelman

Guest Mizugori

im probably buying a '83 280zx and i have access to a free 302 that came out of a crown vic. it was originally going in my best friend's 70's mustang but he ended up not finishing the project and he offered me the motor. ill keep checking back here! im very new but if i can help at all with my findings as i do this, i will.

*edit* what im confused about first and foremost is, why is this more complicated than doing a chevy small block?? i was told that a ford would be a better fit and give more hood clearance than a chevy 350...but it seems like this is a much rarer feat; why so?

Mizugori,

Another reason to consider a pre-zx Z is that the engine bay on the 280ZX is 3 inches shorter than an S30 chassis Z (240/260/280). As far as I know nobody has done an SBF swap into a 280ZX yet. Any kit that is created for the S30 chassis will not necessarily work in a 280ZX (S130 chassis). Anything is possible with enough time and money but you'll pretty much be on your own if you swap an SBF into the ZX.

I'd be interested in an SBF swap kit as well. It will be a while before I do an SBF swap but I'd like to do one sometime in the future.

Wheelman

Guest Mizugori

damn...the problem is im in CT and it is sooooo hard to find a non-rusted out old car. i finally located one in New Jersey that is a Florida title so it has almost no rust, and it runs and everything, good price etc....so im really not able to get a z instead...

if the 302 isn't going to work out, should i go with a chevy one instead?

suggestions please :(

Ok, well i have a few idea's for a few of your problems. If header clearence is an issue, just buy a set of bbk 351w swap headers for the fox body. Second, the hydraulic clutch problem... http://www.autoworks.cc/65-70%20ford_hydraulic_clutch_kits.htm . Third,, wiring harness...painless makes a wiring harness for the 5.0 fords that would iliminate the old tired harness and keep everything very nice/professional looking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...