HybridZ

Complete SBF Conversion Kit

sulla

A few points that you guys might want to consider.(I have a finished 302/t5 swap so im basing this on my set up and experience)-budget build in mind-

1. The transmission crossmember that the ls1 guys use WORKs for t5 just needs to drill 2 holes.

2. I would seriously consider PULL slave cylinder it's cheap and it works($50-100) plus if it leaks you don't have to pull the transmission.

Buy a master cylinder that's 1"-it's what I use and it works great with ss line.

3. Get a Taurus 2 speed fan works great and It actually cools down my turbo v8, using this fan on a stock 260z radiator. In California weather.

4. Block hugger headers will need to be dented and shorties header will not work/will require more work.

5. Get stock mustang 5.0/t5 driveshaft and have a ds shop cut it and have the jtr diff ends mounted.

From experience I don't think that this really needs a "kit" as it's easily piece together. The only thing that really require finding is the engine crossmember but from what I have read there's a couple people that already offers this.

Like this one.(I did not use this mount but is this a kit that you guys are after? Or more "fully complete"?

http://www.technoversions.com/

• 2 weeks later...

http://lainefamily.com/240Z_V8_Conversion.htm

everything you need to swap it in is on that website. There are even blueprints of the fabricated pictures with measurements and everything. solid mounting design and the transmission mount is not too shabby either.

Does this kit work with 1997 Mustang V8 281 CID 4.6L ??? This his email is unable.....

JDM

When I pull my 351W, I think that I will see about it. How much difference they are. I believe that all you have to change is the motor mount area, the rest should work. I have 2001 Police car engine that I thought about droping in my 77 280Z. But I had freshly rebuilt 351 on the engine stand and a 3.85 stoke crank on the shelf waiting for a home. So thats the way I went.

I don't believe that there is a kit for the 4.6L mod motor. What I was talking about is, as soon as I get the chance. I am going to pull my engine and take a close look at. I know that the Mustang K-members are made similar for the 5.0L SBF and the 4.6L mod motor.The differences are in the motor mount area. I have to pull my engine and tranny so that I can finish welding every thing up. Thats when I'm going to stroke my engine out to 388ci.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ford Fans,

I agree that there doesn't necessarily need to be a book, just some thorough post with good pictures. Some pictures of my build are on My CarDomain page

There is a bit of info about my solution to the engine mount and steering shaft problems. Maybe this weekend I'll pull my engine mount out to replace the oil pan and if so, I'll take measurements in case anyone wants to copy it.

My EFI harness came from: RJM Injection Tech and it was very good quality. The wires were color coded and labeled to match ford diagrams. That was in 2004 and I haven’t dealt with him since; however, his website seems to have many more products than before.

For the drive shaft, it used a “swing joint†meaning that the cups were different sizes. Two were for the Mustang drive shaft and the other two fit the R200

Mark

• 4 months later...

Just so you guys know for the slave cylinder the stock 280z slave works great! Just make a bracket to bolt it to the bottom 2 transmission bellhousing bolts. Remove the stock 280z slave cylinder push rod and install a threaded rod. Drill through the stock clutch fork and bolt it in with a nut on each side. Works perfect, very compact, quick clutch action and best of all very cheap!

• 3 months later...

I'd be happy to assist in this project - and use myself as the test subject.

I'm currently installing a 1991 5.0 fuel injected with Trick Flow top end, and I'm making my own harness. I'd be happy to post the write up - when it's done and working of course. Engine install should be Jan 15-Feb 1 depending on how much longer the shell prep and cage install take me.

• 7 months later...

so far the best ford thread i've found tons of great info. agree with erehemantresi . just use you stock 280z slave cylinder. ive heard of guys using those or a rx7 slave cylinder and mounting it on the back side with some scrap steel. i'll try to find the link to the website were a guy shows you what he did for his 351w swapped focus!