HybridZ

E88 and water lines

Guest iskone

So is that line the pressure line to the heater then?

Anyone know of a way to put a return line into the radiator?

Some sort of steel tube with an adaptor to plug the return line into is what I was thinking.

Isk

The heater return goes to the same spigot the lower radiator hose attaches to. There should be a fitting on there to make the ehater work again.

BEWARE! Do not simply loop the head line to the inlet tothe lower radiator hose. As obvious as this sounds I see it all the time when a heater core fails, and then people wonder why they have "overheating" problems: they have created a 5/8" direct shunt around the radiator! You only need the 8mm recirculation line from the carbs for proper block preheating before the thermostat open up---using that head line is a good way to do it if you don't want to deal with a bypass line around the front of the head c luttering things up there.

On the later L6's (ZX and Maxima) Nissan used a heater bypass hose from the rear head outlet (a special dual outlet fitting which still fed the heater core) to a T-fitting on the heater return line hose. Nissan used 5/8 inch hose for the bypass but the key to making it work is to use the Nissan T-fitting which has a pressure relief valve on the bypass line.

When the thermostat is closed the water pressure in the head is higher than normal and the relief valve opens allowing water circulation through the bypass hose during engine warmup. This circulation prevents “hot spots” from developing in the cylinder block and head. As the thermostat opens the water pressure drops and the relief valve closes, otherwise you would be bypassing the radiator with the heated water.

So, if you elect to use this set up on an early L series engine (I am contemplating this on the engine in my 260Z) just be sure to use the Nissan T-fitting. It’s still available new from the dealer.