HybridZ

Going turbo.

Guest New_2_z

Guest New_2_z

Ok short story i just bought a 260z. The car has a l26 e88. i called around for some junkyards. i found out that one just bought a 83 turbo engine. ive done search functions just need some backup support. The 83 is a l28 flat top with p90. I can buy the engine and transmission for 800. Could i just take the head, turbo and what ever else i needed to save money. the transmission is 300. Or should i just buy the hole thing for 800 and just set aside my engine that i have now. The engine runs just the carbs need to be rebuildt (240z carbs). I was told that i could just carb the l28 engine (triple webbers i think he told me)and that would save me alot of time and frustration. Plus i dont have to mess with the ecu if i do some modifying. Any info would help what would u do?

thx

mat

Personally, I'd buy the package. But don't forget to budget for an EFI pump, 280Z fuel tank, EFI fuel fillter etc.

You might also need to change the fuel return line in the trans tunnel. The really early cars had a 1/4" return line, which is too small for EFI.

Triple carbs won't be a good setup unless you get alot of head work and a cam, but if you want to buy a set of triple carbs then you are probably better off bolting them to your stock engine than a engine designed for turbocharging. A turbo engine has dished pistons in combination with a large chamber cylinder head to make for a very low compression ratio (7.3 to 1) That setup works good with forced induction but on any normal carb setup that would be terrible. You would LOSE power. Also the dollar to horsepower ratio is always better with a turbo on a Nissan L6 engine. Getting large amount of HP with a carb'd Nissan engine is possible but with alot of $$$ Turbo is MUCH cheaper!! Wiring up a new ECU really isn't that hard, there are only seven wires to connect from the 83 wiring harness. Buying the whole car would be the best bet but if that isn't practical then you should work out a package deal with the wrecking yard so that you get EVERYTHING you need to do the swap. What comes to mind is the..

Engine (complete with intake, turbo, distributor, ect) and it probably has hydraulic lifters (P90A head) not a bad thing, I actually like not having to adjust my valves all the time. Only problem they are very hard to come by if you need a replacement lifter.

Transmission (assuming you want/don't have a five speed) Is it a Nissan trans or a Borg-Warner? The B/W trans is bulkier and limits your choice of exhaust setups. The late model Nissan trans has a steeper gear ratio that turbo engines like. It is likely that the differential ratio in your car will work well with this setup, but you make want to consider upgrading to the R200 diff (the 83 will have one) Or you can always wait til you kill your R180 (which may or may not happen)

The clutch assembly (it has a bigger stronger clutch then the 260) and the small 260 clutch might start slipping when driving it hard. (although a if it has a B/W trans the clutch probably won't work with a Nissan tranny)

The ECU

The wiring harness.. This is the harness that runs from the ecu to the engine sensors and injectors. It is completely SEPARATE from the rest of the car. so it makes things alot easier.

The AFM (air flow meter)

The Coil and spark trigger unit (they are mounted together) Also grab the electrical plug that plugs in the trigger.

The fuel pump.. You can either make this work with your car or buy a aftermarket one. Walboro is popular.

Oil cooler these are usally only on automatic models however.

You'll also need to swap in a 280z gas tank (75 to 76?) and fuel lines.

You also have to consider that you are going to do about making the exhaust system work. (easiest is to just get a completely new system)

The air intake/filter setup has to be considered. (maybe just a K&N on a 3" pipe)