HybridZ

Update on my blown engine...

Guest Cronic

Well we got her all apart, and took a look at piston 1. The top of it was perfect... then I took the rod/piston out... wow.. the ringland literally crumbled in my hand into several 10's of pieces. A large chunk of the compression ringland had been pulverized. Very impressive. :)

When I was covering the bottom end back up with the oil pan, I heard a clunk... I shook it around to see what it was... low and behold... another piece. This time, it was a piece of the skirt... but my piston wasn't missing a skirt! Oh man, I took number 2 out, and there it was a huge, about an inch worth of the skirt is missing.

Wild!

So while the ringlands are still good on that piston, the skirt isn't.

I got a set of pistons from a friend, and a spare head, other parts, and a racing seat... I notice his have the same skirt damage... has anyone else noticed such damage? His motor ran fine, so I don't know what to think.

He's a mad scientist with these motors, and he told me just to smooth them out with the dremmel, trace the pattern of the chunk, and match the other side.

So I figure it's taking several ounces off each side, and lightening the rotating mass. The engine should be able to rev a little faster. with less stress. The only downside is detonation will be more likely to kill the piston faster. *shrug*

Block is getting hot tanked wednesday, and Im checking the bearing's for clearance, also purchasing the new pums, bearings and rings.

I would love to go with forged pistons, so I could detonate the hell out of it and not care... but alas, I can't afford it right now.

This has been an awesome learning expierence, and I've had a blast tearing it down. I hope when I rebuild it, all goes well, and she'll be ready for 18psi on the large turbo, with a 60 shot, and megasquirt.

Plans for 400whp are underway. Wish me luck. :)

Yep, been there, done that...

I thought the symptoms sounded that of bad ringlands and the broken skirts, well, a lot of us have gone through what you are experiencing until we wenty the forged piston/standalone route. Enjoy the rebuild. It will make driving the car that much more fun when you have it back together!!