HybridZ

Probs w/ my newly rebuilt L28

Guest MCTomTom

Guest MCTomTom

I am having a few problems with my old 76 280Z, I think it is a definite wiring problem, I have had it in the shop 3 times in the past couple of months. Before that, the L28 was professionally rebuilt, with 89mm pistons, and a semi performance delta cam. I will be driving, and the engine will quickly lose power and shut off. Then it won't start! The same thing has happened 3 times and after it is in the shop, it will go for a short time, then the motor feels as if it is down-shifting, then turns off, last time I only drove it a mile from the shop! Any suggestions?

ECM maybe? I think its on the fenderwell on the 76, then they went to the one right on the distributor on the ZX. Typical symptoms are, you drive it, the module heats up and stops functioning. Let it sit for a while, car fires back up just fine, drive again for a while then it shuts off again.

Typical symptoms are, you drive it, the module heats up and stops functioning. Let it sit for a while, car fires back up just fine, drive again for a while then it shuts off again.

Sounds like that may be it to me also. What does the tach do while this is happening. Any backfiring or anything like that?

I had something similar happen when I put my first Z engine back together about 15 years ago but mine was a carburated (sp?) 260. Basically it would run fine for about a block then die and not start, wait a while and it would run fine for another block then die ....... you get the picture. Ended up being the fuel pump - same as the ECM thing mentioned above would work great for a while then overheat and once cool would work fine again. Hope that helps.

Cameron