HybridZ

Question about Vg30 heads

GrayZee

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RoyZRide85NA

Yes there are differences. If it is the W series engine, there are 6 extra water galleries. In addition, the oil pan bolt holes have been altered in the pathfinder cylinder block. The holes have been chamfered to allow usage of a liquid oil pan gasket. These chamfered bolt holes are also helpful in identifying the modified bare block. The piston and pin have been changed to a full-floating type, with two snap rings to locate the piston pin. Also, piston pin outer diameter has been decreased. The modified piston can be identified by a "W" mark on the piston skirt (As shown). NOTE: A "W" piston requires a modified connecting rod, wrist pin, and piston rings. The pathfinder connecting rod has been increased in weight, along with an increase in small end internal bore. It can be identified by a "W" stamped in the side of the rod shaft as shown in illustration. NOTE: A "W" connecting rod requires a "W" piston, new style wrist pin, and modified crankshaft. Even though the heads are modified with extra water galleries they can be used with 84 Block just not vice versa. HOPE THIS HELPS.

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if the pathy engine is the same but i know on my maxima engine the heads have 4 holes for exhaust studs instead of the 2 holes on the 84-86 Z engine from what i can tell. not sure on the 87+... most likely the 87+ did get the extra two holes (even though they aren't used for some reason...)