HybridZ

240Z Hemi Swap ?

Guest Dave Moritz

Guest Dave Moritz

I have been considering buying a 240z lately as I feel it should make a good street rod. Over the years it is getting more and more expensive to purchase first generation Camaro's, Cuda's, Nova's or any other muscle car. So I starting to think about taking a japaness car and turning it into a pocket rocket. I have been thinking of two engine combinations recently. One is a Chevrolet 383 stroker motor with ether a blower or nitrous system. Or a out of control 440 Hemi or 526 Hemi since its the same block. Is it possible to fit a big block hemi into a 240Z? I figure with a 240Z I dont have to worry about passing smog and that I should be able to get it exsempted. This car would be my main car as long as I dont end up working to far from my house. I guess I could also think about a 360 Hemi option as that should work good as well. Would love to see the look on a guy driving a Mitsubishi Eclips when I roll up on him with a 240 Z Hemi or 383 bow tie combination, that should get his attention, lmao. Would appreciate any words of wisdom from anyone that could tell me what is possible as far as engine combinations. I am sure that since a 350 chevy will fit that the 383 combination is a done deal. But I am not sure if the 440 hemi will fit in the engine compartment? I read somewhere that someone put a big block 508 chevrolet in a 240z. Am looking forward to hearing from someone soon. Feel free to email me moritzdave@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

chrysler didn't make a 360 hemi ,but anyway i think you would be happy with a LT1 its a good strong motor and is becoming pretty cheap.plus there are a ton of parts for lt1s. thats just my thoughts

p.s nu-tek motor sports makes a 396 stroker kit for lt1,now that would make one bad a$$ Z

Is it possible to fit a big block hemi into a 240Z?

Its possible and has been done with the 426 Hemi. Saw one at Sears Point on a Wednesday night drag racing meet while I was loading up the 240 after a day of road racing. Chevy small block swaps are much more common and an order of magnitude easier and cheaper to accomplish.

Spend a lot of time searching this site. All the information that exists for V8 and other engine swaps into a 240Z is here.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 406_ZDriftr

If you try to put in an old school 426 Hemi it would be more expensive, and different than putting in a 440. The engines cost a lot of money, and dont have the same mounts as the 383-440 big blocks. If you go with a new Crate Hemi, thats a different story, they are made to mount where an old hemi or a 440 mounts. But thats only with the new castings. Just remember those engines weigh a ton, and the new 5.7 Hemi thats in the 300's and Rams might be a better choice. Mopar sells these now as crate engines too, for somewhere around 8000, go to http://www.mopar.com/muscle/whatshot1002.htm. It would ride smooth like an LS1 but look a lot better, and possibly make better HP too.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...