HybridZ

Fuel Problems...Christmas sucks!

Guest Navy280Z

Guest Navy280Z

Okay, so I drove my '78 700 miles today from the temperate climate of Atlanta up to Baltimore. About when I hit the D.C. area, the car wanted to stall whenever would idle at a stoplight. Then, when I pulled into a station to fill up, she wouldn't start for a good ten minutes. Fuel pump is working, and I'm getting electrical...any ideas?

I hate college...

i had the exact same problem, only they happened at diffrent times.

my idle kept dropping and i had to give it gas when it was stopped-turns out that the old cap and rotor were crap, so i got a new cap and rotor, and sum new plug wires. Idled like a champ, or as close to a champ as a 23 yr old car can get.

I also had a problem with my car not starting for a long time, i took off the cap, rotor, and disconnected the ignition control unit, and recconected it on there TIGHT, and it fires up every time.

It has started idling a little lower than usual now, and so far i've replaced everything cept the plugs, so i think thats next. My frends car idled really bad-it would even shut off, he replaced the spark plugs, and it idles great.

Guest Navy280Z

Thanks y'all for your input so far. I'll go out there tomorrow morning and give it a try. May replace the fuel filter while I'm at it. But for right now, I'm 700 miles tired, and it's ten degress out there, so my hunny will have to sleep with herself for once. 'Night all.

Guest Navy280Z

Okay, so I replaced fuel filter, checked to make sure everything is firing okay...and then, the idiot that I am, noticed that there's only five cylinders firing. So... but I still don't know why I was able to drive 700 miles without noticing it.

Also, I don't know if this necessarily explains the stalling problem. Additionally, when I turn off the car, or it stalls, it won't start back up for at least ten minutes, which kinda seems to me like vapor lock, but in temperatures of 30 degrees F?!!

Tomorrow I'm taking it into Banzai motorsports. If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

Guest Navy280Z

Well, a very special thanks to Mike McGinnis. I took the Z to him and he pinpointed it right away (wish I would have as well...). The problem is my module in my distributor...as in there ain't one there. The shaft is so loose it's chewed it up. So I have to go buy a distributor tomorrow... so much for driving to NYC for New Year's.

Oh, by the way, props to Navy for beating New Mexico tonight. 10-2...best record in 99 years!