HybridZ

Let's see your RB Z...

DETurbine

6inline, what ex manifold is that?
Well given it is Knuckdusters car his answer is posted above when I asked :) but here it is again.

I spent about 6 months searching around ebay.au and ebay.uk looking for a header. Finally found one on ebay.au for around 375 shipped iirc which was brand new made for an r33. I bought it not knowing if it would even fit in the engine bay and of course it didnt. It hit the fire wall so I cut it down to get it re-welded so that was ok. Then the nut on the steering arm would hit when turning the wheels so I had to grind that half way down. Despite all that bs it was definatly worth it. I havn't been on the dyno since the motor was first put in but seat of the pants feel tells me there was a pretty big improvement, id guess 20 or so whp/tq..

check this out. It's not often we get to see this side...

I took a set of pics of the bottom of the car while I had it up on a lift and composited the pics into one image with Photoshop.

3882321689_899ba9f3e6.jpg

A much larger image is posted to my blog at:

http://web.me.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-Blog/Entries/2009/9/2_Underside.html

That's pretty sick. They sure did a good job of tucking those exhaust pipes in there, wow! I only have a single pipe and it practically touches the ground.

And I'm sure 'they' had some fun fitting and welding all those segments ! :eek:

But about the pic, pretty cool. Quite artistic actually. Expresses a kind of course & straightforward inner personality (and that's my sad attempt at being an art critic :rolleyes: )

• 1 month later...

I finally got to drive my car for the first time this past Saterday. After 9 months of off and on work on the weekends while also going to school, the car is pretty much done (for now), and it feels great. There are still a few things to do before I drive it regularly but the car is a '72 240Z and the engine is an RB30DE with the non-VVT RB25DE head and it has lots of other goodies as well.

The Engine:

IMG_1298.jpg

The Car:

IMG_1299.jpg

Thanks to everybody for all the information you have posted over the years and to those that helped me on my specific questions, you have all been a great help in completing my project.

Im building an rb30dett at the moment i was just wondering how you went with the na engine

we get them very cheap here i picked my short block up for 10.50 on ebay

I had thought about an n/a rb30de and to run the triple throttle bodies from the rb26

It would look and sound awesome

This is my rb30/26 dett combo

024.jpg

You should recheck your info kramerbuccs24. The RB30 was sold in the R31 Skyline and the Holden Commedore, and that was with a single cam head. Dual overhead cam RB30's were put in the Tommy Kaira M30 and used in racing applications. Somewhere, I think it was in New Zealand, there is a guy with one like mine except set up for track use and he made something like 380hp (I think at the wheels), so I would say that they can make pretty good power in NA trim.

You should recheck your info kramerbuccs24. The RB30 was sold in the R31 Skyline and the Holden Commedore, and that was with a single cam head. Dual overhead cam RB30's were put in the Tommy Kaira M30 and used in racing applications. Somewhere, I think it was in New Zealand, there is a guy with one like mine except set up for track use and he made something like 380hp (I think at the wheels), so I would say that they can make pretty good power in NA trim.

I stand corrected. I forgot about the and RB30DE out of the R31 and the RB30ET, I was only thinking of the RB30S and RB30E. Thanks for clearign that up :)

-monster260z

I imported the 30 block and then just dropped the non-VVT RB25DE head on. this head is a direct bolt on, no mods required. The 26 and 25DET heads can be used with some modification (for the 25DET it's pretty easy but I got the 25DE motor for $250 so that was a simple choice, and the 26 head requires quite a bit more modding than the 25DET head). The only problem is that the intake manifold bolt pattern on my head is that of the RB20 but with bigger ports so to get a nice manifold I had the ports and about 3 inches of the runners cut off the original manifold and welded to the aftermarket plenum (you can see the welds in the picture).