HybridZ

swap Question

Guest StreetVelocityGTR

Guest StreetVelocityGTR

Hello Everyboby

I have a question for those who have a rb26 in thier car and is finished dose your instument cluster still work and if it does how did you do it and does your heater still work?

thanks

I think most people that do that swap change over to autometer style gauges but I don't see any reason why you couldn't get everything working properly. If the heater worked to begin with the only thing you would have to hook up is the RB heater hoses to the heater core on the Z body.

Guest magnadyne

One thing you might find is that the RB26 is a direct fire ignition motor, and the stock tach in a Z is an anolog tach. You can not hook up an anolog tach to a direct fire like you normaly would hook up a tach.

To make it work you will need an adapter. Autometer sells one "Tach Adapter" part number 9117.

I needed this when I swapped my SR20 into my 240SX.

For the rest of it, I would thin just buying the proper aftermarket sensors to run your stock Z gauges will work.

Guest StreetVelocityGTR

what if the guages are digital thats what my are . is the method the same

and just asking im doing the swap myself ,the labor, but just out of curiousity i went online and asked how much labor was and they replied 3000 to 5000 $ is that a good price for a rb26 swap if i gave them the motor?

One thing you might find is that the RB26 is a direct fire ignition motor' date=' and the stock tach in a Z is an anolog tach. You can not hook up an anolog tach to a direct fire like you normaly would hook up a tach.

To make it work you will need an adapter. Autometer sells one "Tach Adapter" part number 9117.

I needed this when I swapped my SR20 into my 240SX.

For the rest of it, I would thin just buying the proper aftermarket sensors to run your stock Z gauges will work.

The temp sender is compatible (the RB20DET one is, so I assume RB25/RB26 will be the same), and the early 240's use an inductive pickup tacho which can be made to work with the RB engine by looping the power feed to the ignitor through the pickup on the back of the tacho.

StreetVelocityGTR, If you are really wanting to hit a 9 second 1/4 mile, are you sure you want to keep you dash? and most of your interior? I know where you are coming from in wanting to retain a semi stock look. Seems to be 2 different goals though, If you do manage to get a 9 second car and retain most of your intereior more power to you!