HybridZ

horsepower

Guest StreetVelocity

Guest StreetVelocity

sorry push the wrong button,ok back to what i was saying does anyone running aftermarket ecus or did you keep the stock ecu after the rb swap ,any rb swap 20-26. and on the 26's is anyone using Trust parts

im intrested in the Trust GREX 2.7L stroker kit has anyone even heard of it

thanks for the help i think this site is very informative

Guest JAMIE T

I think the majority of us are (or will be) running stand-alone EFI, and have more or less done away with the factory ECU. As for the stroker... The GREX stroker is very expensive, IMHO, and not worth the expense for .1 liter more displacement. Most will likely remain stock, or rebuild with Crower or Pauter rods and a quality forged piston. The rods are @$1100 , and the pistons are @$550-$750 depending on brand. That is the route I will take when I rebuild my spare motor. The sky is the limit when you've fortified the bottom end of one of these engines. I've learned alot in the past month.

I noticed your other post about nitrous... Exactly how fast do you want your car to be? Quarter mile? MPH in quarter mile? My car will run high tens with no nitrous and stock turbos with traction(and no breakage). That is with a completely stock engine, more or less. Bigger injectors, upped boost and stand-alone fuel/spark management, twin plate clutch.

The stock crank will handle 700+ hp with no problems. That's way past what the S30-31 body will handle without some serious mods. There's no reason to purchase a $3000 crank at this level. Stand-alone EM will net you large gains over the stock AFM equipped system.

Guest StreetVelocityGTR

well i have a z31 not a s30 but mine will probably break just as fast and I want to run 9's at the track but thats a far way away. and about the aftermarket ecu's what brand do you suggest. and what could i do to fortify the rearend from breaking on my z31 how much power will it hold thanks

MMMH MMH I love eating ricer i the morning

:-D

Guest JAMIE T

Your Z31 is alot heavier than a S30.Your car will likely run high 11's with a set-up like mine. You probably know how expensive it is to get a Supra to run 9's. It will be basically the same thing. Only more expensive since the RB is "rare" here. The 2JZ has huge support in the US, unlike the RB. IMHO, I'd go with a turbo Z31 or Z32 motor, I think it is a VG30DET or (TT or what ever) with a huge turbo and supporting hardware. I know that motor is stout and the guys in Puarto Rico have Z31's hauling serious arss.

The reason an S30 is so fast and still be drivable is becuase it is light. My '71 weighs 2153 lbs. All steel. I don't know how much a Z31 weighs, probably tickling 3400 lbs. FWIW, most 9 sec cars use a GM Powerglide trans and solid rear axles.

Please don't be offended by this...

You seem to want alot for someone who knows so little. I understand you are posting here to LEARN about what we're talking about, but you must crawl before you walk.

Yup, 300ZXtt 2nd Gens are turning 3400+# on the scales.. They are heavy cars... We have a member here by the name of BLKMGK and he has a 10 second 1995 Supra... he has close to $60,000 invested in it. That is no mistype... SIXTY THOUSAND dollars to run LOW 10 second quarters and turning 630+Hp at the wheels... and he is STILL in the 10s... So as Jamie says, learn a lot before you spend a dime, and keep your expectations more realistic... and obtainable...

Mike

Guest StreetVelocityGTR

OK good points maybe a little to overzelousbut i always set high goals maybe a high 10 car wouldnt be that bad but i want to stick with the Rb my car weights 3634 so it needs a diet. dont worry im not easily offended i just dont know alot about the Rb's:wink:

Guest JAMIE T

3634 lbs!!! Holy crap! Do some searches on google or whatever fro Z31 pro drag cars. I know there are some wicked ones out there. They are ALL tubbed out though and run GM 2 spd. powerglide transmissions.

I'm glad you are eager to learn. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. Good luck.

Yup' date=' 300ZXtt 2nd Gens are turning 3400+# on the scales.. They are heavy cars... We have a member here by the name of BLKMGK and he has a 10 second 1995 Supra... he has close to $60,000 invested in it. That is no mistype... SIXTY THOUSAND dollars to run LOW 10 second quarters and turning 630+Hp at the wheels... and he is STILL in the 10s... So as Jamie says, learn a lot before you spend a dime, and keep your expectations more realistic... and obtainable...

Mike[/quote']

$60,000 for 630hp?? Holy crap! I need to relocate to the States....... :)

Actually BLKMGK's Car has little bling to it... He upgraded wheels, and did some carbon door and trim panels on the interior, and installed some audio gear... Everything else has gone into upgrading to a single turbo, standalone efi managment, electronics for the turbo managment, fuel upgrades, 4 inch exhaust upgrades, and a new head/cam setup...

It is a clean car... But $60,000 is a bit much! This was his ballpark estimate to another buddy of mine!

Mike

Guest JAMIE T

Also, if any of you know of Jim, he is NOT a fabricator. He will buy a $1000 exaust system from HKS because he can. I on the other hand will build my own out of 4" SS and put a Magnaflow SS muffler on the tail end. For a total price of @$300 in SS and muffler. That would leave me $700 to buy someting I CAN'T build like a EVC, and drag radials.

AMEN to that JamieT,

I'll buy it if its GOOD, I'll make it if it's BETTER ! lol. But throwing money down left and right for some folks just to "git er' done" will always garner low points/respect for those scratching for every dime .........its just the way of human nature.

But the older/tired I get.....the more I think hmmm, I'll see if I can find one first (before R&D/fab) and sell/work more to get on with the BIGGER issues !

And of course BIGGER issues are quite personal in the priority. Those of you with family/kids.........I can only imagine the difficulty of sliding some "mad money" towards your Z endeavors. ( unless your in the higher income brackets...lucky you/bastard lol.)

Just kidding.........( I would add a SMILEE here, but !!!)

Thanks for the VIDS MATT !!!!! ...............Vinny

Guest JAMIE T

Hey Vinny, I have a wife and kid plus one on the way AND my house is getting WAY too small! I'm spending a fair amount on the Z right now becuase I want to get it done. I won't spend a huge amount on things I can build though. I have spent ALOT of money in the last month though. I still have no RB! Neither one has gotten here YET!