HybridZ

Help with labor on RB26 swap? - Southern California area

Guest santoph

Guest santoph

Hi guys,

Lots of great info on this dream swap. I have been happy with my L28 block for the past 10 years, but always thought the idea of having a RB26dett would be awesome. Just one question, I don't have the means of actually doing the work. Does anyone know of a person or shop that would do this or has done this in the Southern California area?

Thanks for any feedback..

Well... McKinney Motorsports (in Murrieta) might be able to do the swap for you. Expect to pay BIG bucks to have a shop do the work.

Parts alone may run you in excess of $8,000

($3500 to $4000 - motor, $1000 to $1200 - tranny, $1500 to $2000 - EMS, $800 - intercooler, $300 - driveshaft, $300 to $500 exhaust, nuts and bolts, intercooler piping... etc.)

Minimum total of above (that have dollar signs) = $7,400

Most shops work at (roughly) $50-60/hr

Throw in any custom fabrication that is/might be required (like motor mounts and tranny mounts) and the price goes up.

If YOU source the parts you might be able to save some $$. Motors CAN be found for $2500 and mounts can be purchased (Rick Wong at Infinity Machining). Other deals might be out there...

When you say 'you don't have the means' are you meaning that you don't have the time, space (garage), tools/equipment, experience...etc?

Guest santoph

zhadman, thanks for the info.

You pretty much summed it up when I say 'don't have the means'... Most work I have ever done is standard maintenance, changing parts out, etc. Never have I swapped an engine myself. My 71 Z had the L28 already because I bought it from a friend....

Time is probby the biggest issue w/ 2 kids and a fulltime job. I would love to take the time to learn.

When I think about it, if I could let this be a long loong term project and let it sit on one side of the garage - I could probably do little by little. *sigh*

Don't be discouraged yet.

Let's look at this from another direction.

You have a garage. That's a big think in SoCal!

Do you have the money for the initial investment? (atleast the motor... which I can get you for $2500)

When the time comes can you afford to have your car down for 2 months?

Are you SERIOUS about this swap?

There are several of us in the LA area. IF you are serious and can actually afford to buy parts bit by bit (without getting killed by your wife) you will recieve mucho help. Everyone has something to learn and everyone has something to teach.

Guest santoph

LOL - I hear you regarding the wifey. How serious? I am very serious and should be properly funded by end of summer of this year. Hope that's not too far from now. I'll be reading the forum time-to-time and learning as much as I can until then. My Z is not my daily driver so downtime is not much of a consideration. I really appreciate your help.

BTW, Do you really run 18's on your RB26 Z? have a link for pictures?

No pictures as of yet. I have to finish my stub axles before I can mount them up. I cut off the original stub axle flange and made up a new one (I work around a machine shop) and then had it welded up professionally. I've got one finished... I just need to finish the other one.

18's are big... for sure, but it'll look right in the end (to my eyes ;) ).