HybridZ

VG30E(T) Lifters?

cheezmonta

I have been searching the forums here, on Z31.com, Z driver, and 300ZX club. There is no info on solid lifters for the Z31 300ZX motor!?

I have found them for the Z32 motor or VG30DE(TT). Just not for the Z31.

I am trying to redo the valvetrain to handle prolonged high rpm with a bit more reliability. And to raise the limits I can rev. without fear of catastrophic valve float.

The limit of the stock Z31 valvetrain is about 7200rpm. I'd like to raise that to at LEAST 7500rpm without problems.

To do this I need to address a few issues:

1- The heavy and sloppy hydrolic lifters.

2- The weak stock valvesprings.

3- The camshafts.

4- The solid un-adjustable rockers.

Now the valvesprings are easy enough. JWT and Ferrea make a set of performance springs for use with a performance high-lift cam. The rockers are not a major concern as they are very strong and not prone to wearing out easliy. However the Nismo rockers are adjustable, but I am not about to spend $900 on a set of rockers just to eliminate a bit of valve clatter. Which leaves me with the lifters....

The OEM lifters are about $26 a piece, so for the same $300+ I'd rather buy a set of solid lifters. Unfortuanatly no one makes them so I might have to have them made.

They are just flat tapet hydro lifters.

If anyone has found another lifter for a different motor that I could even possibly find a way of working. What would it be? Maybe a set of roller lifters? At this point I'm open to any suggestions...

In need of some assistance with some R&D here. Thanks for any help!

valve float is only caused by the springs not being strong enough to pop the valve back into place in time. i would think you could keep the hydraulic lifters and just get some better springs to fix that problem. besides, i'd take hydraulic lifters anyday over ones that you'd have to adjust. they just seem to be a lot better and less of a headache imo.

i know of the jwt springs but didn't know that ferrea made them. i know ferrea makes some over sized valves and such. are the jwt and ferrea springs a bit stiffer than stock?

The lifters aren't the cause of the valves floating but are a contributing factor. Those little things have to move pretty quick up and down to open the valves and at higher rpm's they don't do thier job very well.

With a nice set of lighter solid lifters, rollers, or something it is less mass that has to be moved and will let the motor rev higher, safer.

The JWT and Ferrea springs are both a bit stiffer than the OEM's (15-20%).

Ferrea doesn't actually make springs for the Z31 but they do carry valve springs in the same dimentions as the Z31. If you call them or a Ferrea dealer with the specs they can find something that will work for your application.