HybridZ

LS1 Car Club! Post yours!

Please include:

1. Year of motor/mods

2. Tranny

3. Kit used or explanation of your custom mounts.

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, including fuel, wiring, etc.

5. Date you started on the project, date finished

6. Other car mods (suspension, brakes, etc.)

Optional:

Pictures and miscellaneous info!

Please include:

1. Year of motor/mods

2. Tranny

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap' date=' including fuel, wiring, etc.

Optional:

Pictures and miscellaneous info![/quote']

OK. Since I jokingly suggested an LS1 Z car club I feel compelled to follow this thread.

My car is a 1972 240Z.

The motor is a 2002 LS1 from a Camaro SS with 20,000 miles. It has the LS6 block. The motor is stock.

The transmission is a T56 6 speed from a 2001 Trans - Am WS6

I used the JCI (Johns Cars Inc.) install components. JCI motor mounts, A/C setup, driveshaft,fuel pump, speedo signal converter, etc.

I used the JTR Trans Crossmember and Air intake system.

I had Speartech make a custom wiring harness and reprogram the computer.

I have the Sanderson Headers.

I started on the swap in May of 2004 and hope to have it back on the road this spring but no later than August in time for the international Z Car Convention.

The car has coilovers on all 4 corners with eibach springs, camber plates, Tokiko 5 way adjustable inserts,strut tower bars,poly bushings, etc.

Brakes are soon to be upgraded along with adding a 4 point rollbar and sub frame connectors.

That's all I can think of for now.

Oh yeah, I am in Maryland near Washington, DC

Lets hear from the rest of you so we can have a good resource for the newbees.

1977 280Z Coupe

1) LS1 from 98 Z28 Camaro with 3,500 miles on it. No internal modifications - only LS1 edit, K&N & headers.

2) T56

3) Prototype for Johns cars kit: http://www.brokenkitty.com

4) Used converter to adapt T56 to stock speedo. All other gauges stock. Used original fuel tank and fuel lines, just new pump and regulator. Also used special Japanese air conditioning compressor to allow mount location-all from JCI.

Project started in July of 2002 and essentially finished in June of 2003. The car has been driven 50,000 miles since then.

5) Techno Toy Tuning coilover upgrade with adjustable KYB struts, urethane bushings throughout, racetep strut tower braces front and rear, 4-pt. roll bar, Willwood brakes upgrade in front, 300ZX rotors & 240SX calipers in back, 3.70:1 300ZX R200 LSD, Spicer "Brute Force" universals on half shafts, 16x7 Centerline Trident II wheels, MSA Aero II body kit, custom paint, MSA window mount mirror kit, and a custom interior.  All Katzskin leather soft surfaces, rebolstered stock seats, House carpet by Wavemaker called "Chivas Regal". 7 speaker 500 watt Alpine sound system. Hurst Shifter.

HID headlight and LED running lights.

image.thumb.png.0804c17fe76e392e89bc67cc75dadbf1.png

IMG_6363.JPG

Edited by Phantom

I kind of went the other way and used mostly Firebird parts because I had the whole car as a donor.

1972 240Z with a Velo Rossa Kit.

1)2001 LS1 From a FTA WS6 with 10K miles. It came with LS6 intake and I run an ASP underdrive pulley.

2)T56 stock with Pro 5.0 shifter

3)Custom cross member welded to the original and bolted to the engine rails. Corvette sytle mounts.

4) I used the LS1 fuel tank, Gauges, brake booster and master cylinder, modified stock wiring harness by Speartech and reprogramming. Small GM alternator and pulleys from Street and Performance. S&P 1 5/8 headers to 2.5 dual exhaust with X-pipe then to 3" Power effects mufflers and tips. I got the 240Z mid '01, and the LS1 about 2/02. Everything but body work is complete, but this may be a never "finished" project.

5) Carrera coilovers in front with Z31 hubs and Toyota 4X4 Brakes. Rear is a complete transplant of 300ZXtt brakes, VLSD R230 with 3.7 gears, custom Moser axles and 240SX subrame and multilink suspension.

First drive impression and exhaust here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96038

Some early build pics here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/maichor75104

Some other photos here:

http://www.geocities.com/maichor75104

75 280Z

-2001 LS1 approx 10k miles

-contemplating LS6 heads & cam

-T56 & Pro 5.0

-300ZX LSD

-280ZXT CVs

-MSA Flares & Airdam

-Complete Camaro wiring harness & accessories

-Camaro instrument cluster

-Camaro gas tank

-Monsoon stereo

-Modern Motorsports coilovers & Tokiko shocks

-280ZX discs all around

-Zed Findings floors

-Triumph Spitfire Vermillion paint

-Ordering carpet, seats, weatherstrip, SS bolt kits tomorrow

-Homemade mounts

Still alot of work to get this on the road. Bodywork is 95% done, suspension mods 60% done, piles of parts in every room of the house. Hope to be on the road in 6 months.

1977 280Z COUPE. (bought off long time customer for song and dance)

1) 00 Camaro

2) Was a 4L60e.... Now a T-56. Aftermarket shifter off E-bay (looks like a chrome rod) Cut down and a 03-04 Cobra shift knob. All fits with the lower boot and upper boot.

3) JOHNS CARS is my kit. Along with the kit I got the fuel pump, speedo box, and tac adapted. GREAT KIT and John is great to deal with!!!

4) Eldebrock f.p. regulator pumped up to 59 p.s.i. LS6 intake, oversized throttle body, throttle body by-pass, Z06 clutch, G.M. master, SLP underdrive pully, Sanderson 1 3/4 headers, 2 1/2 through 18" glass packs to 3" to magnsflo muffler 3 in 3 out. JTR radiator set up(works with john's hoses). JTR air intake (yes that's my car on JTR'S web site) LS1 edit for programming and harness by Dynatec. 2 speed taurus fan.

5) Hummmmm. Well I'll say the 6 months. I work 6 days, 10 hours aday. I only worked on the car only on sundays. Permitting, no nascar, S.F. Giants or Forty Niners Games! I would say if you stayed on it 40 to 80 hours permitting on expierence and work enviroment.

6) Tokito 5 way adjustable and Tokito springs. Oversized sway bars with poly bushings. Strut brace, 4 point SCCA roll bar. European lights, HID headlights. A ton of stereo equipment (i rock). R200 with a Nismo posi. 15x7 HKS Wheels with BFG drag radials. Again I think thats it!

7) WHATS LEFT TO DO?!?!?! Install my cam (same one MAS280 was pulling 11.1 in, q45 rear end with c/v shafts and Brake upgrade.

O.K. GUYS!!! Can I be part of the LS1Z Club!!!! PLEASE!!!!!! I promise to be an outstanding member!! We can bond as one!!! HA HA HA or am I serious?!

JOEY

1. Year of motor/mods: 1999, stock, Speartech PCM edit, currently running open loop (O2 sensor issues)

2. Tranny: T56 with custom "W" mount.

3. Kit used or explanation of your custom mounts.:custom, "K" braced crossmember sans stock towers. my site

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, including fuel, wiring, etc.: Camaro tank and stock Camaro fuel system.

5. Date you started on the project, date finished: About 100 years ago. Finished? Err, I can drive it.

6. Other car mods (suspension, brakes, etc.). Many

• Like 1

1. Year of motor/mods: 1998 stock LS1 soon LS6 intake with tuning

2. Tranny: T56 with custom "W" mount.

3. Kit used or explanation of your custom mounts:maichor style motor mounts...at this time looking at dressing up the motor a bit.

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, Custom fuel level convertion circuit stock fuel guage Camaro tank and Corvette style fuel pressure regulator(Nice reg/filter setup)

5. Date you started on the project, date finished: Bought the car in 94 started LS1 Sometime in 2002. LS1 conversion finished in 2004. The car will never be Finished.

6. Other car mods 4 caliper toyo brakes, cast rear drums Arrow kit with cali wing, Alluminum drive shaft Complete smog legal conversion(who cares?)

Sorry fellas, havent been around much just starting to work on the car again for this years car shows...see ya there

You guys make any licence plate frames for Hybridz yet?

Website is offline..changes isp

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I gotta ring in. Haven't been on this site in awhile. Been too busy with other things.

Started April, 2004

LS1/T56 as removed from O1 WS6 Trans Am with 10,000 miles

John's motor mounts, trans mount, A/C compressor kit

Vintage Air A/C

JTR headers/radiator/ducting

Wilwood front brakes

240sx rear brakes

All bushings/bearings/tierods/ball joints/u joints/suspension etc. replaced

R200 Limited slip

dual 2.25 into single 3.0 using dynomax bullet resonator and Borla Pro XS muffler installed by Craig Muffler (great job).

A whole lot more that I can't think of right now. Runs good but not yet a driver. Still looking for a good paint shop.

thanks for the plug joey!

1. Year of motor/mods-01 from 20k mile ws6 trans am-will be using the sanderson shorty's that jtr has now

2. Tranny-t56 6spd, custom driveshaft

3. Kit used or explanation of your custom mounts. none yet, will decide later this year to use johns or jtr [if they make them]

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, including fuel, wiring, etc.-will be using a custom speartech and reprogram pcm

5. Date you started on the project, date finished. started last fall when i found the totalled trans am

6. Other car mods (suspension, brakes, etc.)-purchased my 1tuffz in october 1984 when i came back from my overseas tour in korea. currently, 6pt autopower cage, recaro's, schrote 4pt harnesses, arizona rear's & mike kelly front suspensoin parts, ground control coilovers, compomotive 17" wheels, nismo lsd in a 3.9 r200, 81 zx n/a 5spd, jim cook racing supercharger "kit" [which i'll pull after the convention this year and sell to help fund the project], ross' big brakes and cv halfshaft conversion parts. my plan is to have my ls1 z running next spring. i did get a gas tank from david in maryland. just had all the nice varnish boiled out! if you do a cut-n-paste with the link in my signature there are pics. also, here's a link to our club site with some video as well, enjoy-

update-finally pulled the engine and tranny from the donor car last week and separated eng from trans. only 20k miles and the clutch looks like it's on the way out, flywheel needs turning. curious is the brownish color residue around the backside of the engine-either side [top/bottom] of the head gaskets. there's also a white powdery residue that looks like remnants of a leak down the middle of the [backside] of the engine. funny, when i drained the coolant it was green. isn't the ls1 supposed to use the funny colored stuff? anyone have any ideas on whether i need to replace head &/or intake gaskets?

http://www.zccr.net/site/modules.php?set_albumName=album26&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

My car is a 1993 300ZX NA coupe.

1. LS1 out of a 2002 Camaro SS with 30,000 mil. (LS6 heads & manifold).

2. T56 tranny with a LS6 Corvette clutch.

3. half custom welded mounts and half '02 corvette mounts.

4. I'm using a performance walbro fuel pump for a TT model, a fuel regulator from a RB26, Painless wire harness, custom welded oil pan from a Z06 Vette, AutoMeter gauges, custom welded headers and exhaust.

5. Started on Sep. 2003. Car is running but with me, will never be all the way done:)

6. still to come...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to throw my 'stats' in followed by a disclaimer of sorts.

Vehicle: '73 shell (and I mean Non-rolling SHELL!)

Engine: '00 LS1/T56 from a TA w/ 48k miles, Lunati cam 225/576/112, ported TB, LS6 Intake, Sanderson 1 3/4" headers (JTR), ported oil pump, JTR radiator & mount, LS2 coil packs, Z06 clutch assembly, Q45 VLSD diff w/ 3.54s, LS1 'plastic' fuel tank, dual 2 1/2" exhaust, dual resonators, Magnaflow X pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, LS1 edit & custom harness courtesy of mas280, keyless ignition, Taurus 2 spd fan w/Volvo relay

Mounts: homemade w/ mas280 as template, redrilled moustache bar, custom front diff mount, custom trans mount, accessory mounts courtesy of mas280 as template

Accessories: double layer peel 'n seal (Dynamat alternative), push button start, RX7 (FD3S) 'suede' seats, JDM 280Z tail lights, Ground Control coilovers, 240SX/300ZX rear brakes (five lug), front brakes (tbd), Autometer Phantom gauges, custom dash center piece, custom 'one-off' hood venting, power door locks (keyless doors), suspension pieces 'in works' (adjustable camber plates, LCAs, TC rods), chassis reinforcing top (engine compartment & rear shock towers) & bottom (subframe connectors, sway bar 'blocks'), Silverstar headlights

Date started: March '04 (Switched 'shells' and drivetrain and started over from initial Jan. '04 start)

Completion date: Nowhere in sight...attributed to funds, unmanaged "A.D.D.", and LIFE!

• 3 years later...
Please include:

1. Year of motor/mods

2. Tranny

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, including fuel, wiring, etc.

Optional:

Pictures and miscellaneous info!

I will add mine.

1. 1998 C5 motor with no internal mods yet. My car is a 77 280Z BTW. I used the C5 harness and the C5 underhood fuse block. I used the 99 and up PCM and had to repin the PCM connectors.

2. Auto trans from Fbody with C5 oil pan and pick up tube.

3. Made my own mount and using the C5 biscuit engine mounts. Right now the engine mount is just a 1x3 cross bar that sit on the frame rails. I will find ways to link it to the crossmember later.

4. I used the original C5 headers and modified them to fit, Honda alternator, C5 air intake duct route over the radiator, Electric water pump, EFI live to program the PCM .. etc... There are plenty of modifications on this engine swap and they are all documented on my homepage.

5. I don't remember when I started the swap but I completed the motor swap in August 2006.

6. Irrelevant to the motor swap.

I've also done an LS1 swap for a friend of mine on his 77 280Z. For this swap I used the JCI mounts and the stock wiring harness. Pictures are on my web site also.

Well, since Vinh put his up I guess I will need to add mine.

Mine is a 75 280z and I am in the middle of putting in an 02 ls1 with the 4l60e. I am using the JCI kit, BTW John is a really nice and understanding guy.

I bought the engine and tranny in December of 07 and started june of 08. MY kids and I have sanblasted the engine bay and por 15 it. Last week I installed the mounts in car . I am hopeing to have it back on the road before Summers end.

Below is a less efficient alternative to an ls1 .

100_8249_thumb.JPG

1. Year of motor/mods

2000 LS1 - small cam, JTR headers, 90mm FAST intake, 90mm FAST TB, 3" exhuast

2. Tranny

2000 T56

JCI mounts

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, including fuel,

wiring, etc.

No 'special' parts per se. I upgraded my entire fuel system though from the pump to the rail. Also used JTR radiator, great unit with Fbody dual fans.

3months give or take

Wilwood front brakes (still to go on), LSD (still to go in), lowering springs, front sway bar, autometer guages, Recaro seats, stereo etc

PS thanks for the way back play back. This thread started before I even owned a Z...lol

1. Year of motor/mods

2006 L33 5.3 aluminum motor w/stock LS6 heads 27K miles on it.

2. Tranny

TBD. Thinking T56 at the moment.

I'll fabricate my own. Considering motor plates.

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, including fuel,

wiring, etc.

Trying to decide whether to go carb or LS1 injection

Heh. Started about 5 years ago, probably another year to go.

You name it it's modified in some way.

1. Motor is '05 GTO LS2, had 3509 miles on it.

2. Tranny is T56 from said GTO

3. Used JCI kit, also fan, AC kit, and drive shaft. JTR radiator, and Sanderson headers.

4. ECU programmed by Diablo Sport and use their tuner. B&M shifter now with my own shift lever with custom knob. Just last night welded in BAD DOG frame rails. R200 clsd on the bench right now installing new R&P, bearings, and seals. Tockico adjustable shocks, and springs. Turn 6 sway bars. 4 point roll bar. All stock guages. New carpet, paint, 18X8 wheels with Toyo T1R's 245/40/18. All new carpet and weather stripping 2 years ago. Retained GTO throttle-by-wire. Currently waiting for RT mount to show up. Leather Corbeau seats were a present from my lovely wife.

5. Have owned this car for nearly 27 years. Second owner. The engine swap itself was started 11/13/06 and finished 12/23/06. This was only accomplished by doing a lot of research on HybridZ, ordering all the parts in advance, and having a lot of very patient HybridZ members answer a lot of questions.

That's all I remember right now.

Mike

1. Motor is 2008 Corvette C6 with less than 2k miles on it.

2. Tranny is T56 from a LS1 Camaro

3. Ill probably make my own mounts since the C6 accessories are closer to the block than the LS1 accessories.

4. Upgraded fuel tank, clutch master cylinder, stainless steal braided lines all the way to the tank, and more

5. Bought the engine a few months ago, hope to finish by the end of summer.

6. Upgraded 4 piston brakes in the front, upgraded suspension, roll cage comming soon.

• Like 1