HybridZ

LS1 Car Club! Post yours!

1. Year of motor/mods: 2001 LS1 pulled from a Firebird Formula1, Engine has a Torquer V.2 Cam / Comp 918's, 243 heads from 2002 Zo6, HPtuners, twin Walbro 255's with 60# injectors, Custom built turbo kit with GT45 turbo built by yours truly.

2. Tranny: Stock T56 with ran power grip clutch / chromoly flywheel.

3. Kit used or explanation of your custom mounts: JCI engine mounts and Trans mount.

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, including fuel, wiring, etc: JTR radiator with mounting bracket, summit fuel cell, Vats removed from PCM, Q45 differential with custom MM axles, Auto meter gauges- RPM, speed, oil pressure, water temp, boost, fuel level, Zietronix wide band controller.

5. Date you started on the project, date finished: Started project Late 2007 and finished late 2007 / early 2008.

6. Other car mods (suspension, brakes, etc.) The car has a 6 point roll bar, soon to be 10 point cage. BomZ racing seats with 4 point harness, custom wheels / tires. Grant steering wheel. Tokico shocks with cosmo coil over sleeves / QA1 springs. Stock brakes :wink: I've also got a set of Mickey Thompson 26 x 8.5 x 15's for the track.

IMG_1449small.jpg

IMG_1439small.jpg

DSC_9834110408.jpg

IMG_2677small.jpg

Please include:

1. Year of motor/mods: 2002 LS1, LS6 intake, HPE S-Cam. Dynoed 411rwhp thru previous 6-speed, Painless Wiring Harness, dope in the future.

2. Tranny: Built TH-350 with 4k stall converter.

3. Kit used or explanation of your custom mounts: All JCI

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, including fuel, wiring, etc.: Haywire 21 circuit Body Harness, putting everything on toggle switches. All Autometer Phantom gauges.

5. Date you started on the project, date finished: Started about 3 months ago. Still cuttin and wrenchin!

6. Other car mods (suspension, brakes, etc.) Just finished the Jegs 8-Point cage today. Very nice kit for the money.

Optional:

Pictures and miscellaneous info!

Will post up pics soon!

Here's my LQ4 swapped Z..

4-20-08003.jpg

1. Year of motor/mods: 2002 LQ4 6.0 - LS1 intake, sand. headers, lightweight flywheel, RAM lvl3HD clutch, B&M shifter, tune.

2. Tranny: 04 GTO T56

3. Kit used or explanation of your custom mounts: JCI

4. Any special accessories or parts needed for the swap, including fuel, wiring, etc.: Nothing too special.

5. Date you started on the project, date finished: October 2007 start, finished = never

6. Other car mods (suspension, brakes, etc.) Still needing suspension, Rota RB-R's on the way!

1. 2000 Camaro Block, 2002 Z06 LS6 Heads, Comp Cam (.595 .598 232 234 112LSA), FAST intake Manifold, Sanderson headers from JTR, Dual 3" Electric cutouts, HPTuners, 420rwhp (100shot of nitrous...yet to be used)

2. Camaro T56, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel

3. Johns cars Kit (JCI)

4. Walboro 255 inline pump, Corvette regulator/filter, steel braided line from tank to rail, JTR radiator and mount, Taurus 2spd Fan, Autometer guages for speedo and tach, Poly urethane bushings all around, all swap wiring by me.

5. Jan 08 - March 08....4000 HARD miles on swap as of Jan 09, averaging around 18mpg, Curb weight 2520

6. Q45 VLSD, MM axles,adapters,

RB-R 17X8.5, BRE wing

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

DatsunDash.jpg

DatsunLaunch.jpg

datsuncanyons.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
OK. Since I jokingly suggested an LS1 Z car club I feel compelled to follow this thread.

My car is a 1972 240Z.

The motor is a 2002 LS1 from a Camaro SS with 20,000 miles. It has the LS6 block. The motor is stock.

The transmission is a T56 6 speed from a 2001 Trans - Am WS6

I used the JCI (Johns Cars Inc.) install components. JCI motor mounts, A/C setup, driveshaft,fuel pump, speedo signal converter, etc.

I used the JTR Trans Crossmember and Air intake system.

I had Speartech make a custom wiring harness and reprogram the computer.

I have the Sanderson Headers.

I started on the swap in May of 2004 and hope to have it back on the road this spring but no later than August in time for the international Z Car Convention.

The car has coilovers on all 4 corners with eibach springs, camber plates, Tokiko 5 way adjustable inserts,strut tower bars,poly bushings, etc.

Brakes are soon to be upgraded along with adding a 4 point rollbar and sub frame connectors.

That's all I can think of for now.

Oh yeah, I am in Maryland near Washington, DC

Lets hear from the rest of you so we can have a good resource for the newbees.

Updates since I posted this so long ago.

Car is 90% or more completed. It has been on the road since August 2005 and I have driven and enjoyed it for about 10K miles.

Can now has a Q45 VLSD with MMS adapters, MMS 13" big Brake Kit, New NOS Dash with speedhut EL lighted stock gauges, Vintage Air AC/Heat system, Leather Recaro Seats and 16" x 7" Panasports.

I have had it on a dyno and it made 340RWHP and 365 RWT. I have run it down the 1/4 mile track 2 times. Both runs were tracktion limited and I ran a 12.88 at 109mph.

I have done 7 track days with the car and it has performed fantastic. The car is extremely reliable and also gets great fuel mileage. I got 30+ Miles per gallon on a 900 mile trip.

I love my LS1 powered Z car. This is the way Datsun should have made them.

2007-zcon-03-0068B.jpg

Studio Photo from the 2007 Z convention

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_053.jpg

Q45_Rear_Diff_Install_002.jpg

New_Evo_Seats_020.jpg

quarter_mile_slip_002r.JPG

• 6 months later...

Beautiful cars Guys!! I guess outta pity because I'm an old guy and the fact that I've owned 3 "Z"s including a Ford 289 V8 73 240Z I built, Davy welcomed me and my little Mongrel Miata to the Forum.

I'm drooling over all the great "Z"s you guys have built, I guess I'll just have to be satisfied though with my little Mazda.:wink:

As you can see I started out with a used LS1 and later bumped up to a new crate LS2:biggrin:

OOpps, forgot to list my specs;

Total project time 3 years, just finishing

No Kit, one off design / fab.

Hella quad headlights, stailess mesh grill

Ron Davis, cross-flow radiator, dual Spal 1850 CFM fans, custom remote fill tank.

F-body accessories, GTO alternator, custom billet front engine mounts (solid)

Crate motor, 2006 Corvette LS2, solid engine mounts (block to K-member)

Fly-by-wire T/B 2005 GTO PCM, custom Corvette program, Corvette pedal

Custom built headers, relocated steering rack (power, GM to Mazda) 7/8 sway bar. Thermal sheilding, wiring & brake lines

2002 Tremec T-56, heavy duty (ZO6, Viper) no skip shift, also solid mounted, with custom shifter

Ureathane bushings throughout, KYB AGX shocks, ground control coil-overs.

MOMO Wheel, custom built Renegade seats, simpson belts, Auto-meter sport-comp II guages. Hard-dog roll-bar, leather padding.

Walbro 255 pump, all braided stainless fuel line, heat sheilded

custom Z-28 drive shaft & u-joints 750 HP capable.

Ford 8.8 SVT IRS 3:73 gears, Detroit True-trac posi.

custom built 300M axles, Mark Williams hubs, ARP ZO6 wheel studs.

Konig wheels, Toyo T1S 225/40 ZR-16

11" power discs, front & rear, EBC green stuff pads.

5/8" rear sway bar

Dual 3" super 44 Flowmasters, with 3-1/2" dual stainless tips

Entire interior was coated with 3 coats primer, 4 coats of thermal acoustic paint, under body with 4 coats also, including trunk area.

Thanks for your interest guys

Finished Miata WALLPAPER_thumb.jpg

15720_thumb.attach

15721_thumb.attach

LS1 Miata, First engine_thumb.jpg

My V8 Z_thumb.jpg

Beautiful cars Guys!! I guess outta pity because I'm an old guy and the fact that I've owned 3 "Z"s including a Ford 289 V8 73 240Z I built, Davy welcomed me and my little Mongrel Miata to the Forum.

I'm drooling over all the great "Z"s you guys have built, I guess I'll just have to be satisfied though with my little Mazda.:wink:

As you can see I started out with a used LS1 and later bumped up to a new crate LS2:biggrin:

LOL, I love you car! Little Mazada, ha!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1. This is a 1975 280z with an LS1 and T56.

2. I used Johns car kit for motor/tranny mounts and driveshaft.

3. I used a camero ls plastic tank and pump. The motor has Patriot 205 heads, comp cams 11-424 cam (558 lift), 85 mm throttle body on a Professional Products manifold. 30lb injectors with 75lbs of pressure. MSD Blaster coils. Sanderson headers 2.5 inch into a single 3 inch.

4. I started on January1st 2009 and just finished in August 2009

5. Other mods include tokico adjustable shocks and springs. Toyota 4x4 front calipers and maxima rear disc brake setup. 2+2 brake booster. polyurethan bushings. Quaife rearend and Wolf Racing cv halfshafts. also bigger swaybars.

IMG_0005_thumb.jpg

IMG_0043_thumb.JPG

IMG_0044_thumb.JPG

IMG_0046_thumb.JPG

IMG_0049_thumb.JPG

• Administrators

Almost there…

’97 BMW M-3 sedan, Daily driver.

LSx M3 build thread...

LM7 w/ported heads, ’00 Vette cam, LS6 springs, LS1 intake, WOLF V-500 Engine management, T-56 trans.

After the initial bugs get worked out, will be building mild 6.0L, seriously considering the single plane crank in the 6.0L block.

Flat crank thread.

DSC_3878.jpg

DSC_3903.jpg

16vM.jpg

DSC_2990.jpg

DSC_2992.jpg

Almost there…

’97 BMW M-3 sedan, Daily driver.

LSx M3 build thread...

LM7 w/ported heads, ’00 Vette cam, LS6 springs, LS1 intake, WOLF V-500 Engine management, T-56 trans.

After the initial bugs get worked out, will be building mild 6.0L, seriously considering the single plane crank in the 6.0L block.

Flat crank thread.

16vM.jpg

Paul,

Love the "16 Valve" emblem. Very true.

Mike

Edited by BRAAP

1. 1986 RX7 -- 2000 LM7 with LS1 intake, oil pan, accessories, LS6 cam, 160# injectors, T-6 76mm turbo

2. Powerglide with brake and 4500 stall converter

3. Granny's engine mount kit, deleted power steering and AC.

4. Twin walbro 255 pumps and Megasquirt ECU

5. Started June of 2007, Finished September 2008 (need a new turbo right now)

6. Ford 8.8 rear mounted with Granny's torque arm kit and watts link.

Link to build thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127466

100_0002.jpg

S_Picture_3208.jpg

S_Picture_3193.jpg

interior.jpg

My car has been running for a couple of months but just had some body/paint work done....In advance like to thank every member, this by far was the most useful site and i am still learning new things everyday.

1978 Datsun 280z

2003 corvette LS6

Heads/Cam/Fast 90/90

Crane Gold Valvetrain

Speartech Harness

Trans am Fuel tank

T56 from LS1 Trans am / PRO 5.0 Shifter

Johns car Mounts

Made my own Sub frame Connectors

Sanderson Headers

Exhaust by Kinneys muffler shop Euless,TX

Stock suspension for now

Tuned by RPM in Lewisville, TX

Car made 422/393 2 days ago...I love it

pan064.jpg

Engine021.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

dyno.jpg

77 280z

1. 2005 5.3 L33 93k, electric corvette throttle body, ls1 intake,

2. 2002 camaro built t56, stage 1 clutch, chromoly 15lb flywheel

3. jci all the way

4. electric throttle body clears the truck water pump outlet, 300lph inline fed from stock tank, aftermarket 3 row stock aluminium radiator, 3" single exhaust with cutout for fun, SSP wiring with drive by wire setup and 411 ecm, more to come

5. Aug 09 til hopefully before the end of this year

LS1 datsun 280z

Getting close to start up !!!

1. 2002 WS6 Trans AM LS1 with some ZO6 stuff :)

2. 4L60E

3. Mounted with JCI kit.

4. Walbro fuel pump, steel braided and stainless steel hard lines.

5. Started Feb. 2007 -

6. Speartech re-work pcm and custom harness. JTR radiator, intake ducting, (Sanderson headers) vent tube. Street and Performance 11:00 alternator only accessory mount. B & M Quicksilver stickshift, Flex-a-Lite Mojave heater/defroster, Longacre 3 toggle pushbutton starter panel, Corbeau seats, Autopower roll-bar, TCI diveshaft loop, Kwikwire 8 circuit electric harness, Ron Francis Closed Loop Ground kit, Tokico suspension and MSA complete bushing kit, Industrial heat and sound mat from Mc-Master Carr, Autometer electric guages, Patriot sidepipes, BAMF ZG flares (still in the Box), Boze wheels (Still in the box). Need to finish wiring, get brakes, get tires and install ZG flares and do bodywork and paint.

trial_fit1.JPG

July_4th_engine_Picture.jpg

dash_pic_1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

1.) LS1 - 2002 Camaro SS

2.) T56 - 2002 Camaro SS

3.) Engine and Tranny- Johns Cars kit (developed on my Dad's car -

Phantom)

Accessories - Custom braketry by Grenade300 for Alt and tensioner

Rear end - Modern Motorsports

4.) 16 gal summit racing fuel cell, Aeromotive Fuel Regulator and Pump, Fast

fuel rails, 8an fuel lines, 6an return line, 2 fast fuel filters

5.) Started a couple years ago by Grenade300 (see sticky on how to install

LS1) -----Purchased by me yesterday! :mrgreen:

6.) JDM R230 from a '91 300zxTT

CV's, 17x9 front and 17x9.5 RBR's

Autometer Gauges (Tach, Speedo, Fuel, Voltmeter, Fuel Pressure)

Eibach Lowering springs

Headers - JCI

Exhaust- True Dual 2.5" Stainless Mig welded with Borla Mufflers

MSA flares

Pro5 shifter

JTR Aluminum Radiator

7.) NEW CATEGORY -GOALS

Fix/replace unbalanced drive shaft

Disk Brakes - AZC?

Adjustable Racing Suspension - AZC?

Interior - Carpet, sound deadening matl, panels, Seats (coming next

Wed),

Exterior - MSA valance, Paint,

Engine - bolt-ons and tune for motor - target 450hp (intake, port

polish, Roller rockers, springs, pin the crank, mild cam shaft)

NOTICED THERE ARE AT LEAST 4 OTHERS GUYS POSTED HERE THAT ARE ALSO IN THE DFW AREA - LETS GET TOGETHER...