HybridZ

04 gto with TREMEC 6 Speed?

This ebay ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7957617697&category=33615

is selling a 350 HP LS1 out of an 04 GTO and says it has a Tremec close ratio 6 speed.

How viable would this be for a Z? Do we now have a good, stock alternative to the T56 weight and gear ratio wise? Anyone know if this trans has the notchy shifter everyone complains about?

The ad also says "The GTO has excellent accessory placement making it a great choice for hot rod applications"

Buy it now for $6300, but only 19 hundred miles

Just got the gear ratios for the GTO Tremec, BUT also says it is a T56

Tremec T56

First: 2.97

Second: 2.07

Third: 1.43

Fourth: 1.00

Fifth: 0.84

Sixth: 0.57

Reverse: 3.28

Final drive ratio: 3.46:1

EDIT

Never mind. answered my own question

These transmissions where first made for GM by BorgWarner before BorgWarner sold them to Tremec who now produces them for GM.

And the ratios above are not very close. A little more tolarent of a lower rear gear maybe.

I check on Ebay ( Particularly F-parts) to see what they have on auction. I wondered about the GTO LS1 accessory placement as well. E-bay also listed this GTO LS1: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=7955919107&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

As I am reading and researching (saving money !!!) and going with carbureted 350 and TKO 500 or 600 was the plan. However, the LS1 and particularly a LS1 from a GTO is very appealing. I will be diving in soon and I can not wait !!!!

SuperDan,

I say go for it !!!! My wife is turning me loose with funds in two-three months, so I am anxious to get working on the swap. I had and opportunity to purchase 327 / and WCT5 and I passed on it -- and I am glad I did because I am leaning more towards the LS1 route.

Again GO FOR IT !!!! Good Luck

You guys dreamin' about LS1 swaps are doing the right thing. Keep watching ebay for that killer deal. Don't be afraid to look at complete cars though. It may be cheeper. And, if you are still a year or so away, the '05 LS2's are going to start showing up. LS1 prices going to get very reasonable!

Trouble is I got looking at the Pontiac site and the 05 GTO is starting to look like a hell of a car. Only $35K, leather, LSD, independent suspension, 400 HP 25 MPG on the highway, and my truck is looking pretty ratty...

Then I got thinking, the LT1 I was planing had a final hot rod configuration that looked a lot like the LS2. 400 HP, aluminum, distributorless, tunable. And that is just the starting point. No name brand parts but who cares?

Gotta get a budget together...

Good morning or Good afternoon gentlemen,

Maichor, you hit the nail on the head !!! My dad suggested I wait because sadly, a few souls will wreck there corvettes, Trans AM, Camaros and now GTO's. There are loss (hopefully not loss of life) are hot-rodders and Z owners gain.

Couple things. Finding an 01 or 02 F body LS1 would be great - especially if it were in a wreck that came with the T56, wiring harness, radiator fans, ECM, etc. The F body T56 has different gearing than the GTO - specifically 1st is 2.62:1 , 5th is .74:1 and 6th is .50:1. All better numbers for the lighter Z car.

Mine had 3,500 miles on it when I got it in 2002. It now has nearly 19,000 miles on it. Gotta love the LS1.