HybridZ

GForce and 5Speeds part company and I'm left without a trans...

Mikelly

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time I talked with Jim, it had puked all its fluids out and JIm was a tad bit upset...

I had a similar problem with my McLeod TOB - I had used Castrol LMA (DOT 4) fluid with mine, in spite of the fact that they called out specifically to ONLY use DOT 3. I had assumed they just meant not to use silicone fluids, since DOT 3 and 4 are supposed to be compatible.

I replaced the LMA fluid with some cheapo STP DOT3 stuff and it's been fine ever since.

?????

I've used the Valvoline Syntech Dot 4 in my McLeod HTOB for 3 yrs now with no bad results. When I first installed it I had a problem with the banjo o rings, they were cut during assembly, but since then it's been trouble free.

(knock on wood)!!!

John

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guys who have completed units, mind tipping ya'lls cards to us who are pricing on what your setups cost you out the door? Given my motors build its looking like i'm gonna need one of these soon :-

• 4 months later...

I'm down to 3 options on doing a G-Force T-5: G-Force (dealing with Mark), Modern Drivelines, and The Gear Shop (see TimZ's post above for the thread with their new location). The latter two come hgihly regarded. I'm betting G-Force is fine to do the work too.

Then again, I'm considering buying the parts and doing it myself, just for the fun and experience. (I have a broken T-5 that Glenn McCoy has checked out and says at least the case is still good!)

Did you guys see this before? http://www.5speeds.com/t5/shims.html

Seems a neat way to home in on just the right shim thickness!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Bruce at Modern Drivelines just let me know that there's at least a 3 week wait on getting G-Force gearsets (to him) so that he could do my T-5.

I hate to say this, but if it doesn't get better in 3 weeks, I will be sending the T-5 to G-Force. It's a shame they can't get better supply to their customers like Modern Drivelines, etc.

• 1 month later...

Well, I buckled under the weight of G-Force's supply tactics to other tranny builders. I sent my T-5 to G-Force a few weeks ago. I'm dealing strictly with Mark, who is a very easy to talk to and seems to know what he's doing.

A guy I know at work just got his T-5 back for his Mustang from G-Force. No word yet on how it works. But he'd been through 3 broken T-5s, so he's happy to have found a probable solution.

• 2 months later...

It took G-Force MONTHS to get the heat treatment on the main shafts done. I just got a call today that mine is finally going together.

Turns out they don't make the other 5th gear options for GM T-5s, since the spline count/size is different than the FURD. So I'm stuck with a 0.75 stock set of gears which they say are very strong anyway. Saved $300. Also, the tapered roller bearing input shaft retainer is a Furd only part, so my regular radial + thrust bearing retainer which was in fine shape will stay. More money saved. It should be finished Monday. I asked them to set it up tight so when it's hot there's minimal play. Coming with a Pro-5.0 shifter. The Spec Stage 2+ clutch is ordered, need to turn the flywheel, and the new smaller blowproof bellhousing and hydraulic TO bearing are waiting. I'll need a new yoke and maybe a driveshaft.

Pete, what ratio did you want for fifth?

I think the 0.75 will be fine; my TKO is a 0.83 and I wish it was a little higher, it only gives about a 600 rpm drop from fourth. It's good for the track, but a little short for highway driving.

jt

• 2 weeks later...

John, I always felt the .68 in the Tremec was a bit "high". But that was with the 327 and the lumpy cam.

So I ended up with the stock .75:1 5th . Bubba, who built the trans (Mark doesn't actually do any from what I can tell) said that the .75 overdrive gears are pretty large and he''s never seen them break. Added bonus: The G-Force gears (synchro type are cut at less of a helical angle and whine compared to T-5, so my 5th gear should be quiet.

.75 is good for me to since I love to be cruising in 5th at 65-70, have some mustang, or ricer come up and stomp it. I ususally leave it 5th and .75 will be pretty well into my 406's torque curve :) Usua;y, in mear 1 or 2 seconds I've caught them and they are getting smaller in my rear view mirror. Hopefully 5th doesn't break, but 5th gears are easy to change, relatively.

• 3 weeks later...

It arrived the other day at my dad's - don't ask ;). I haven't seen the tranny yet, and there's a 406 to put together yet before the T-5 goes in so it will be a while.

A very good friend is buying the Tremec for his Cobra Daytona Coupe , once he buttons up his 383. That car HAD a 383 and an AUTO which was the only way he could get it on the road quick, but now he's doing the right thing - putting a manual trans in it!

RacerX' date=' Got out of my 3rd hospital stay in as many months 5 July. I'm a skeleton of my old self, low energy, but looking forward and working on gaining stamina to get back to work 1 Aug.

Thanks for asking![/quote']

Pete, I was wondering how you were doing. Are you on the road to recovery? When you do start working on the Z, please do yourself a favor, and get someone else to do the lifting, even if it is minor. Good Luck!