A quick FI and ignition 280zxt to S30 turbo swap guide

bumble zee

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cut the wire before it went off into the fuse box, and then just rerouted it into my Fuel Pump Relay. It didn't affect anything. Works fine. I didn't try this, but if you want to. One of the connectors that hangs down under the steering column that gets disconnected from the EFI harness(this is going off my 76' wiring) has a connector with a lot of the necessary wires. Like the wire for the fuel pump, the ignition switched wire, etc. Saves time when it comes to hunting these wires down.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question:

I am doing a turbo swap into my 72 240z, i am swapping in a 82 turbo motor and harness, i have *most of the wiring figured out, but i am vastly confused with the fuel portion of things. my car was originaly carbed so i dont seem to have a fuel relay, so do i need to go buy a relay and make my own and wire it up that way and then run the blue with red strip switch power 5 sec wire to it and then i will be good?

please any help would be very helpful i am very stressed about this at the moment

I have a question:

I am doing a turbo swap into my 72 240z, i am swapping in a 82 turbo motor and harness, i have *most of the wiring figured out, but i am vastly confused with the fuel portion of things. my car was originaly carbed so i dont seem to have a fuel relay, so do i need to go buy a relay and make my own and wire it up that way and then run the blue with red strip switch power 5 sec wire to it and then i will be good?

please any help would be very helpful i am very stressed about this at the moment

The fuel relay is from the 82 so you should have this in your donor car. If you can't find it, you can tap into the blue/red to fire your own generic relay for the fuel pump. You do need to at least find the connector on the other end of the fuel pump relay harness because there's a black/white wire that has to be run to key switched 12V for the EFI relay to turn on (seen on the left side of the last pic of post #35).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

i'm putting in a 1983 280zx turbo engine and trans into my 1978 280z.

i have everything hooked up except the coil ignition harness. it's the one that goes up into the dash on the 280zxt.

could someone tell me where to connect each wire?

here is a picture of the harness i'm talking about.

i need to know where to connect each wire in the picture.

by the way this is the newer version of the harness and coil system.

photo3.jpg

okay im going to tell you where they go from left to right as shown in your picture.

Top Row, first wire I grounded, the next wire over goes to the coil, the next wire over goes to 12v START, and the next wire(green) I grounded.

BOTTOM ROW, I grounded the first one and the next three you dont use.

i cdident have a switched power going to the ecu so i fixed that and then hooked up the wiring and i have a switching at the coil but no spark coming out when i look into the coil where the wire goes i see a litttle bit of oil so i think the coil is bad :(

the little modual that sits next to the coil does any one know what that is or what it does???

thanks

i cdident have a switched power going to the ecu so i fixed that and then hooked up the wiring and i have a switching at the coil but no spark coming out when i look into the coil where the wire goes i see a litttle bit of oil so i think the coil is bad :(

the little modual that sits next to the coil does any one know what that is or what it does???

thanks

My bet is you still dont have the wiring right, but it could be the coil or even more maybe the ignitor.

• 6 months later...

Here is how to wire up for the 83zxt ignition courtesy of jon (in the green Z) on ZCAR.com who made up this diagram.

site1081.jpg

what is plug 3? where is this in the real world? im in the middle of my swap and did everything according to this write up except im not sure what the plug #3 is.

thanks

what is plug 3? where is this in the real world? im in the middle of my swap and did everything according to this write up except im not sure what the plug #3 is.

thanks

Can you trace the wire back from the ignitor to find plug 3? What year harness and ignition are you swapping in?

Hey thanks for the reply bumble zee!

I'm using an 81 harness just like the thread has. Going from the igniter it goes to plug 2, I've got that. Im just not sure what plug 3 is from looking at the pics on the first page. Plug 3 is a five prong plug. The picture makes it look a lot like the fuel pump relay plug

Edited by Krumm

Alright cool. No worries then. thanks! looks like everythings working on my swap, fuel and spark, except the car desnt start :( switched to a 79-83 non-turbo distributor cause mine wasnt workin right so i dont use plug 2 or 3. and the previus owner installed an electric fuel pump already. i dont know any info on the pump thats in it though :/