HybridZ

Fumes In My Car!

TREVTEC

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 260ondubs

I've got a 76 2+2 and I have NO trouble with fumes windows down and i've done nothing from stock here (and even then all my rubbers are cracked and old). My exhaust didn't even protrude past the bumper. Maybe there is something about American delivered Zeds...... (just a theory)

I think our 2+2's might me less prone to exhaust stink. I think the longer lines help smooth the airflow a little better than the reg 280's also the curvatur is a little different. I honeslty think my rear flares cured this. The paint used to yellow up around the hatch from exhaust fumes... now after 3 years running the flares and muffler the paint is barely showing a little exhaust build up.

-Ed

And yes... Silicon is your friend, also check your fuel pump cut through plug

Guys. Guys. Guys.

Take a look at a dimensionally correct drawing of any S30 vehicle.

Pay particular attention to the chrome tip that Nissan has on the stock exhaust system. It exits to the REAR of the bumper.

Many people run performance exhausts, with the tip all nice and sanitary mounted right flush with the body.

No no no no no no no !

This allows fumes to accumulate UNDER the car, and ANY gasket or hole under the car near the spare tire will let fumes enter the vehicle. And the faster you go, with the updraft under the vehicle, the worse it gets. Open the windows and you quickly realize drawing a vacuum inside the car doesn't help!

But put that tip out back of the bumper where fumes are drawn UP and AWAY into the turbulent airflow behind the vehicle, and amazingly all the problems go away.

Take another gander if you can find one of the tips on the Fairlady Z 432. They are cut in a way that the lower pipes fumes are drawn up, and pushed out by the upper tubes' flow....which is convienently to the rear of the bumper!

People have had Performance exhausts on these cars for so long, or bad replacements it never occurs to look back to the factory spec to see just how critical they were on placing the tip.

It's the little things that get you. And on a long trip.... this one could actually GET you, if you know what I mean!

P.S. Extending the tip helps greatly, but is not a substitute for proper gaskets and seals on the rear of the vehicle!

P.P.S. I also own an RHD 77 2+2, and trust me, it infects that body style also! It's not a US Market only problem. You just have to dot your "I" and cross your "T" when dealing with these type of problems. Attention to details and a good nose is all that you need to solve it!

My 1971 240Z stinks to high heaven! It can make you nauseated, especially during the summer months. I have deleted my factory bumpers but have the dual exhaust extended two inches from the body and have all new weather strip.

This stinking car still stinks, crap! Do you think If I extended it 2 more inches it would help? I got to figure it out or I am going to pass out one day.

Mike

how many times does it have to be said that weatherstripping, and extending the pipe is just one of a combo of features. If you guys would take the rear of the car apart, you would see many holes and old dry rotted grommets. There is a 2 inch hole at the bottom of the rear quarter.....hmmm bet that sucks in exhaust fumes.

The rear bumper is almost 6" on an early 240 from what I remember.

If you ever watch a land speed car run on the dry lakebeds, you can see the airflow on the back of the car, and having that tip out that far puts it in a different portion of the airflow that goes up and AWAY from the back of the car.

Anything closer, and you are in the layer of air that turbulates RIGHT BACK TO THE TAIL LIGHT AREA.

THAT causes one hell of a problem with fume re-entry unless EVERYTHING is SCRUPULOUSLY sealed.

Note the 280Z's as well as later cars all had fillers inbetween the bumpers and the body? It's more than astetics... They were doing some blocking of airflow there, also.

Wierd things happen out back, you just have to observe some "dirt studies" or light a smokebomb out a tube under the car at about 30mph and you can SEE exactly what I'm talking about. Once you see it in action you make like Homer J. and go "D'OH!"

Guest babyfacenc2005

i had a 1977 280z junker daily driver i loved that could have killed me from fumes.. i ran 102,103? racing fuel,mixed with 93 premium..$40 tanks. for months and that exhaust got better and better,till i noticed nothing. of course,i could have been so brain-dead by then that i just didn't notice anymore.:burnout:

On my 72Z I thought at first it was exhaust fumes. It was actually gas fumes.

I replaced all vent hoses on tank as well as the filler tube assy.

The car is perfect now.

I run my exhaust flush with end of bumper and no exh. fumes enter car either.

Buddy of mine ran his exhaust out the side of his car, and it didnt cure his exhaust smell issues, but then again he didnt seal up the hatch area very well, just the antenna hole.

My old v8z would make me smell like gas the fumes were so bad, if you have the smells with a 6, I guess when you double the displacement it just gets worse, its something you shoudl take care of, just bad for your health!

for those that have done there gas return lines etc. What did it intale and were the parts (hoses) expensive. Did you get them at msa or victoria british? And what were the parts called? I am figuring that when I corner left I get more fumes in my car it probably is the hoses are bad. I thought I sealed everything else with new rubber and silicone. But man it stinks bad on a hard corner.

Thanks all