HybridZ

Could use some ideas (pics) for IC piping w BOV

Guest sabum

Guest sabum

bastaad525/// You are the man!

Everything helps. Thanks.

Jersey/// you have some really fine looking z cars!

I have been told that I might burn up the engine since I am not increasing the fuel flow while I am increasing air flow...I am running a 7th injector. I guess a nice fuel rail with bigger injectors is in the works next :-)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Saddam, no pictures found. If i get a chance, i'll snap a few off today/tonight. The boot was actually off of a '90 Laser. MC - i'll snap a pic of the VCV.
Thanks Jersey....I'd appreciate that..I was paging thru the Chilton book and sure enough it mentions the VCV[DECELERATION VALVE to control oil use under high vacuum],...IT doesnt have much of a picture though...in the vacuum diagram it shows it on the wrong side of the t/b but gets its vacuum/pressure feed from the correct side of the t/b....i was curious if it threads into the block or bolted???maybe I could adapt to the aluminum elbow that feeds my t/b.

Took some quick pics last night. Funny, never realized that i never solidly mounted (with rubber for flex) the top of the NPR! lol. Both the IC ends and IC piping ends have lips on them which is why the silicon connections don't blow off. I'm sure the BOV helps this from happening as well. Anyway...

MC - The VCV (circled) is threaded into the 4th intake runner...

VCV.JPG

NPR1.JPG

NPR2.JPG

BTW - Sadam, thanks for the props but my current '73 isn't so nice, yet. Just trying to make it fast and then will concentrate on the body. The other Z in the gallery that 525 posted about was my first Z back in 1986. That body was completely redone. Wish i still had that '77! Anyway, good luck, hope the pics helped.

No sweat mc. Yes, from what i remember of the stock setup, it's fed by a hose that comes off of the stock J-pipe right after the turbo.

PrOxLaMuS - I did have to open up the stock rad support holes to get the IC ends through. Also did a little cutting to get the 3" air filter pipe out front as well. The picture you posted is an older setup when i had with the small NPR IC.

Guest sabum

looking at the pictures and reading the past couple posts I wanted to ask this question. I was going to run the IC pipe through the large holes in the above picture. (ya know the hole for the vent)I checked and the large NPR should fit just right through there. Is this what you guys mean?

Sabum ---- not saddam :-) like the guy from Iraq

Guest bastaad525

For my I/C, setup, the inlet and outlets were placed perfectly, lined up exactly with the two stock holes in the rad support. I ran two 90 degree bend silicone hoses (2.5") thru the rad support and it all fit perfectly with room to spare, didn't have to enlarge the holes or anything.

Considering I found the I/C in a pile of junk parts at my job, I think I got pretty lucky that it fit as perfectly as it did!!!

One funny thing in my case which everyone told me I wouldn't be able to get away with... none of my piping has the rolled lip/edge on them, and I'm using the cheapy hardware-store style clamps, running 13-14psi, and I've not once had a problem with clamps loosening or hoses blowing off.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I have a cardomain page

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=635763

some pics there... it's nothing special... it's two different colors, for one (blue painted over orange but door jams, engine bay, etc. still orange), and I never really took any great pics of the engine bay after installing the I/C, was hard to get a good angle with the hood in the way. Anyways the most recent pics are down at the very bottom of the first page and some on the second page as well. You can at least get an idea of the pipe routing and stuff... I actually was able to do it in a way that I was able to get past the stock distributor, stock fan and even the fan shroud.

Guest bastaad525

you suck... I WISH I could get my rims to shine up like that :-P

I MAY, POSSIBLY (read: highly unlikely) be buying a set of the 280zxt 'swastika' 15" rims soon here, another Hybrid Z member thinking of getting rid of them. Now THOSE polish up nice!

I ran 2.25" piping, but having looked at it, I don't see why, if you ran it the same way I did, you couldn't fit another 1/4 in there.

By the way, when you look at those pics of my I/C piping, pay special attention to the silicone coupler attached to the throttle body. This is the one thing I did different from what I saw everyone else doing with the same pipe routing. I ran a 45 degree angle bent silicone coupler off the T/B, pointing downward, to lower that pipe a few inches... most people just run a straight coupler off the T/B and this is why the pipe there usually sits too high and has clearance issues as this puts it right next to the fat part of the dizzy and there's no room to fit it between the dizzy and the fan shroud or fan. With the 45 degree bend coupler the pipe goes UNDER the dizzy, next to the dizzy shaft, instead.