HybridZ

T5 14-spline clutch setup help needed

Guest nwzeeman

Guest nwzeeman

I have an 85 T5 transmission I am wanting to use behind my 350 sbc. The issue is that the t5 is a 14 spline from a v6 camaro and I am having difficulty finding the right combination of flywheel and clutch combo (I don't have either yet) to marry the tranny to the engine. I searched through the old posts and found that a mid-80's Astro van may have an 11" clutch with the 14-spline. Yes, I know that this tranny is not the ideal one to use, but would like to know if anyone has used this setup and would like any suggestions on what flywheel or clutch to buy. For now I will plan on buying a standard v8 flywheel and then finding a 14-spline clutch that will fit to it. Thanks for any advice. -Rod

• 2 years later...

bumpty bump.

I have exactly the same issue with the tranny I just bought. It is pretty hard to find the right t5 here in holland. The tranny I bought is from a 2.8 v6 firebird. It has a 14 spline count on the input shaft. The bellhousing is from a corvette.

I was looking for a decent diameter clutch disc that would fit the 14 spline input shaft and also came across the astro unit. It has a diameter 11" which is 1.75" more than the stocker. I am unsure of which flywheel to get. My tranny is going behind a '93 305 tbi engine out of a chevy van (L03). I believe the engine is internally ballanced. Does anyone know if this might work? I am learning a lot but I am quite new to the SBC scene.

any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

xander

I just checked through my cataloging, and the only 11" 14 spline clutch used by GM is on the '86-'89 4.3L Astro Van. The only other options in a 14 spline clutch are 9.125" for the 4 cylinder astro and the 6 cylinder cars. The LUK clutch part number on the 11" kit is 04-086.

thanks for your reply,

After a lot of searching I came across a 14 spline 10.5" diameter clutch disc made by advance adapters ADD-716104 (summitracing). This one is made to accommodate the v8 swaps in the S10 cars. This is exactly what I need. Now I still need to find myself a externally balanced flywheel for a 1 piece rear main seal. anyone? Ebay is probably my friend in this.

That's the same T-5 I started out w/ but i was warned that it will not hold up behind a V8, not even in a light car. Look up the HP and TQ ratings, they are LOW, even if you had a bone stock 350, you'd be pushing the limits of those transmissions.

The GOOD news is that they are most likely World CLass housings and you can easily upgrade all the internals w/ LARGER and STRONGER gearsets. I was really suprized at how much heavier the V8 gears were. I believe I had at least one thread about what to do and the decisions I made, this would be around Jan 2005 i think, maybe a bit later.

There is an excelent site, http://www.thegearbox.org/page/page/3813499.htm. Kevin (I think that's his name) has everything you need to rebuild and upgrade your T5's. He helped me through several technical questions while I rebuild mine. It's not too difficult, and I encourage you to try it :)

I ended up with a Ford Cobra R gearset and the GM 26 spline hardened input shaft, a complete rebuild kit and carbon syncros.

Enjoy!

I ended up with a Ford Cobra R gearset and the GM 26 spline hardened input shaft, a complete rebuild kit and carbon syncros.

Enjoy!

So you can use the Ford T5 internals? Besides the input shaft and bolt pattern, what other parts issues are there?