HybridZ

Venting the Fuel Cell Without Fumes

mas8230

What is the best way to vent the fuel cell without fumes. Ever since I installed the cell, the fumes in my garage are unbearable, unlike before. I DO NOT have a leak anywhere. I simply have it vented via a 90 degree fitting, to a rubber hose, to under the car. What about venting to a charcoal canister? Or any other way to reduce the fumes? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank You.

Run it to to right rear corner under the car and make sure the end of the vent line points down and is in the air stream. Also, you do have a one way valve in the vent line and you've built a complete, air tight metal cover over the fuel cell and lines separating them from the passenger compartment, right?

Sealing the passenger compartment is not a concern for me. That's no problem. The problem is the fumes migrating throughout my garage and house from it. That is my worry. Would angling the vent line down correct this? Anybody vented to a charcoal canister?

john: confusion about the check valve: one way which way? One way IN would allow air to fill the space of gas that was sucked out, but not vent gas fumes out if it got really hot, so the cell will start inflating. One way out would be the opposite?

What does the one way valve do? Where do I get one? Also, not venting properly, will this create a vaopr lock? Because another goofy sysmptom I'm having now, is when I come to a stop sign I stall. It sometimes is a bear to restart. But after sitting a few minutes, It runs smooth as silk. I never had these problems before the new fuel cell and pump install.

The one way check valve is to keep fuel from spilling out of the vent line if the car rolls over. Geenrally you want to allow air into the tank and not let anything out. There are different kinds of check valves with the more expensive ones allowing air and small amounts of fuel to flow both ways but seal up tight when the car is inverted.

but not vent gas fumes out if it got really hot, so the cell will start inflating

That's not really an issue. Once the fuel pump starts running or you crack the filler cap the pressure is released. I've never had a problem with it at the track.

The problem is the fumes migrating throughout my garage and house from it. That is my worry. Would angling the vent line down correct this? Anybody vented to a charcoal canister?

Park outside or run a tight check valve. You can run to a charcoal cannister but after time it will be saturated and become a fuel saturated bomb. What you're dealing with kinda comes with the territory when you start adding racing parts to a street car. Fuel cells are designed to work best when they vent straight to atmosphere. They don't have the vapor trapping requirements that DOT legal fuel systems do.

Also, not venting properly, will this create a vaopr lock? Because another goofy sysmptom I'm having now, is when I come to a stop sign I stall. It sometimes is a bear to restart. But after sitting a few minutes, It runs smooth as silk. I never had these problems before the new fuel cell and pump install.

Sounds like the fuel cell isn't vented properly. Makes me kinda wonder about the rest of the fuel cell installation.

Look on my site for mine (although I have turned my cell around since).

I just ran a tube from the top vent (-6AN at the top of the cell), looped it twice, then ran it down the side of the cell and placed it next to the cell outlets (venting to atmosphere). No valves or anything, never had an odor problem, or spillage problem either.

Tim

I have the EXACT same cell as Auxilary. Looks Good !! Although I did not encase mine. I mounted mine with the mount kit. I tried re-routing my vent line and angling it straight down. I guess in theory, that should work, similar to a drain trap, considering vapors rise, making the vapors SHOULD be confined to the line angled staight down. I'll know later after I have my garage all closed up.

Auxilary, Have you had any problems with the oultets leaking around the white rings? I had to tighten them down twice.

I have a question. Why are fuel cells are always placed in a box? Why can’t they just be strapped in like production vehicles?

I have a fume problem as well. The tank uses an old style vented cap.

I have a question. Why are fuel cells are always placed in a box? Why can’t they just be strapped in like production vehicles?

I have a fume problem as well. The tank uses an old style vented cap.

From my standpoint, although it is unnecessary to box it, I like the extra protection from flying rocks and stuff....

I tried the JohnC method. I vented to near the right rear wheel, with the end facing straight down, approx. 6" piece on the straight down part. I did this at 11:00 am. I came home from work at 10:30 pm and I went into my garage. And for once, I opened the door to the garage and my eyes didn't cross !!! So I guess I'm in good shape now. Thank for the input !!!

There's some terminolgy confusion here.

The term "fuel cell" refers to the actual container the the fuel is in. That container is usually a Kevlar or high impact rubber bladder that contains foam, the fuel pickup, and a top plate for all the connections. The "fuel cell" itself needs to be in some kind of container (aluminum, sheet metal, plastic, fiberglass) to support the weight of the fuel, help the "fuel cell" retain its shape, provide a mounting solution, and protect the "fuel cell" from road debris.

All fuel cells are in some kind of container already.

Don't know if this is meaningful to you guys or just adding confusion. You guys decide.

When I did my EFI V8 swap I changed the fuel tank for another, added a sump and vented the tank just like GM did in the car my motor came out of. GM used a two way vent valve that lets air in but allows the tank to pressurize up to about 8 or 10 psi then releases any pressure (and fuel vapor) above that to the atmosphere. Works great, but this is in an EFI fuel system with a common steel gas tank. Don't know if it would apply to a plastic fuel cell with a carb.