HybridZ

Brake booster/master cylinder options on a 73' 240z?

Guest 73Turbo240z

According to Rockauto and Autozone, the 8.75" brake booster is on 1995-2001 2WD Tacomas. There's a 96 at a Pick'n'pull near me. I'll see if I can go yank the booster and measure the bolt pattern today or tomorrow and take pictures and what not. Would be neat to have a readily available booster upgrade for 200 bucks that's truely plug and play.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 10:18 AM, PrincePaul said:

Wanna revive this thread a second time?

A couple of you might know the mighty car mods channel on youtube. At he moment they are doing a Fairlady build with an RB26 etc.

They used the booster of a Toyota Hilux and where saying that its 40 years newer... so from a current gen Hilux?

Does anybody know of that swap?

On 7/11/2018 at 9:41 AM, Neverdone said:

According to Rockauto and Autozone, the 8.75" brake booster is on 1995-2001 2WD Tacomas. There's a 96 at a Pick'n'pull near me. I'll see if I can go yank the booster and measure the bolt pattern today or tomorrow a

nd take pictures and what not. Would be neat to have a readily available booster upgrade for 200 bucks that's truely plug and play.

Bumping this because I have the same question. The brake booster on my '77 S30 is shot and I was similarly intrigued by the MCM claim of a plug in option from Toyota. Has anyone tried it yet?

Unfortauntely the lovely people who run Pick'n'pull near me get rid of a single row of vehicles every day at random, and they just so happen to pick the row with the ONLY Tacoma in the entire lot on that day, so I missed out on checking it.

I'm thinking about just buying one at Autozone or something and taking all the measurements and then just bringing it back.

5 hours ago, NewZed said:

They'd probably let you measure it in the store.  I've done that at OReilly.  It's more interesting for them than just taking money.  They're bored.

I've done the same at Oreilly's. Sunday mornings are a good time to ask for special service. @Neverdone The Oreilly's at Johnson Creek and 82nd are great guys.

Just got back from my local Oreilly's, where I looked at a 8.7" booster from a 1997 Tacoma (should be this one). I brought in the busted booster from my 4/77 280Z to compare. The bolt pattern on the firewall side of the boosters are identical! What's not a match is the master cylinder side. The matching master cylinder for this booster is $115 and a 1" bore compared to the stock 7/8". This feels like the simplest solution to me. It'll be a clear upgrade in stopping power, with a bit of an increase in pedal effort. But on the flip side, I'm doing an electric conversion so I get the bonus of regen braking to help alleviate that effort. 

Knowing the 1997 Tacoma bolt pattern is a match, we can look at other options online.

I did not check the rod position so I can’t verify that. Also noticed the same thing 720fast did, a reman original for my ‘77 is $100 so I’m leaning that direction. Especially since I could retain my stock master cylinder.

Edited by bawfuls

That Toyota master cylinder would actually be the main reason to do this swap. Not having to rely on the remaned 15/16th bore 280zx master cylinders which have a history of failure and difficulty getting, or the Wilwood 1" master cylinder which have ALSO failed a few times on some of our members (Miles can chime in here).

The Wilwood is also currently going for $152 (https://zcardepot.com/brake-master-cylinder-1-wilwood-240z-260z-280z.html), so it seems like you'd actually come out ahead by going the Toyota route if you're switching to larger brakes and need more fluid to pump through the brake system.

I do not know for sure that my master cylinder needs replacing though. Oreilly claims to have a new 7/8' masters for the 280z available for order (though not in stock) for only $54

Or are those not actually compatible? I seem to recall reading about people haveing trouble with Oreilly and Autozone thinking they have compatible masters when they really don't.

Edited by bawfuls