HybridZ

Brake booster/master cylinder options on a 73' 240z?

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright i realize there are plenty of offerings in the caliper market for upgrade, but as i was poking about my Z yesterday i noted that my brake booster is rusting, so i figure i'll replace that while i'm in the area.. and i was wondering if there is any better alternatives than stock replacement when it comes to the booster and master cyl for my car... she'll be coming down from high speed frequently, so any upgrade in all departments is always good.

What you can do is install a 15/16" master cylinder out of 79-80zx directly to the stock brake booster. The stock master cylinder is 7/8". But since you want to replace both the brake booster and the master cylinder get the ones for the 81-83zx. The booster is bigger and the master cylinder is the 15/16". In order to install the booster out of 81-83zx into an earlier z you have to flip it upside down since the bolt pattern is offset just alittle bit and then the 81-83 master cylinder bolts right up to the booster. Then you just need to adjust the pushrod lenght and you are good to go. I just finished this on my 260z I bought so you can come over and look at it if you have any questions. The brake pedal feel is alot better and bairly any effort is need to stop the car. Now I just need to upgrade the calipers themselves.

Ted

Guest 73Turbo240z
What you can do is install a 15/16" master cylinder out of 79-80zx directly to the stock brake booster. The stock master cylinder is 7/8". But since you want to replace both the brake booster and the master cylinder get the ones for the 81-83zx. The booster is bigger and the master cylinder is the 15/16". In order to install the booster out of 81-83zx into an earlier z you have to flip it upside down since the bolt pattern is offset just alittle bit and then the 81-83 master cylinder bolts right up to the booster. Then you just need to adjust the pushrod lenght and you are good to go. I just finished this on my 260z I bought so you can come over and look at it if you have any questions. The brake pedal feel is alot better and bairly any effort is need to stop the car. Now I just need to upgrade the calipers themselves.

Ted

cool beans ted, do you know if ya'll stocked parts this old when you worked @ o'riellys? and for that 240z you have, i might be interested in snagging some of the rear suspension pieces cause one of mine seems pretty odd, if your interested in parting it up... i'd grab the whole damn thing if i had room in the garage for it!

When I converted my 73 automatic with the ZX master and booster to manual, the ZX booster would not clear the clutch master in the stock location. I used a 74 booster, which is bigger than the 73 but will clear the clutch master.

John

Yep o'reilly has the parts in the warehouse in stock. The master cylinder is not too bad of prive but the brake booster is way too much. I just went to pinemount auto salavage and picked up another brake booster. I have a early 74 260z and have no problems with the brake booster hitting the clutch master cylinder. Well if you want i'm selling the whole 240z for $100 now. Not this wknd but next wknd if its not sold them off to scrap yard it goes.

Guest 73Turbo240z

Any tolerable black interior tidbits? I want some of the rear suspension cause mine looks like a shop did a less than quality job w/ it back when my dad still drove it 2 decades ago. I'd buy the whole thing if i had another spot in the garage, we filled that one empty space w/ the other project car finally... unfortunately it's not of Dastun heritage and it's twice as big :-

Yep o'reilly has the parts in the warehouse in stock. The master cylinder is not too bad of prive but the brake booster is way too much. I just went to pinemount auto salavage and picked up another brake booster. I have a early 74 260z and have no problems with the brake booster hitting the clutch master cylinder. Well if you want i'm selling the whole 240z for $100 now. Not this wknd but next wknd if its not sold them off to scrap yard it goes.

• 5 years later...

I am a new member here. Not really a NISSAN noob or anything, but new to the realm of the Z. I am in the process of getting a pretty decent 1971 Z. My question is (after searching through the forums) is, which booster and/or MC should I install in my car? The car has a 2.6L (L6?) with the 5 speed tranny in it. From what I can gather this engine is from a 1977+ 260Z? Anyways, my booster is shot, feels like I'm stopping a train with my feet, lol. And I may as well just upgrade the master along with the booster fix. Thanks.

I am a new member here. Not really a NISSAN noob or anything, but new to the realm of the Z. I am in the process of getting a pretty decent 1971 Z. My question is (after searching through the forums) is, which booster and/or MC should I install in my car? The car has a 2.6L (L6?) with the 5 speed tranny in it. From what I can gather this engine is from a 1977+ 260Z? Anyways, my booster is shot, feels like I'm stopping a train with my feet, lol. And I may as well just upgrade the master along with the booster fix. Thanks.

The booster and master cylinder are model specific. The only input from the engine is suction from a vacuum line. So the one for a 1971 240Z would be correct.

260Zs were made in 1974. 1977 was a 280Z. In the states - I think other countries may have had different models available in different years.

Unless you want to re-drill the 4 booster mounting holes in the firewall, use a 70-72 booster. You can get remanufactured ones through Black Dragon. When I built my 71' I had it all apart, so I re-drilled the firewall and installed a 280Z booster for more power assist. It fits (barely clears the throttle post).

PB260055.jpg

Don't waste time and money on a 15/16" MC BTW. If used with the stock brakes all it does is increase pedal pressure, which is not a good thing considering that the 240Z booster has less power assist to begin with. Use a 7/8" MC with stock brakes (as Nissan did).

• 7 years later...

Wanna revive this thread a second time?

A couple of you might know the mighty car mods channel on youtube. At he moment they are doing a Fairlady build with an RB26 etc.

They used the booster of a Toyota Hilux and where saying that its 40 years newer... so from a current gen Hilux?

Does anybody know of that swap?

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 7:18 PM, PrincePaul said:

Wanna revive this thread a second time?

A couple of you might know the mighty car mods channel on youtube. At he moment they are doing a Fairlady build with an RB26 etc.

They used the booster of a Toyota Hilux and where saying that its 40 years newer... so from a current gen Hilux?

Does anybody know of that swap?

+1

Apparently the Tacoma is the closest North American variant.  The HiLux isn't sold here.  Might be worth a side-by-side comparison of the boosters.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux

Seventh generation (AN10, AN20, AN30; 2004–2015)[edit]

The seventh generation Hilux (AN10/AN20/AN30), part of the IMV program, started production in Thailand during August 2004.[17] Three pickup truck body variants were initially produced: a two-door Single Cab (referred to by Toyota as IMV1), a two-door Xtra Cab (IMV2), and four-door Double Cab (IMV3).[26] In September 2008, Toyota released the Smart Cab, a four-door with hidden rear suicide doors.[27] The IMV program also spawned the Toyota Innova (AN40) minivan (IMV4) and Toyota Fortuner (AN50/AN60) SUV (IMV5).[17] The similar Toyota Tacoma pickup truck, introduced in February 2004 for the 2005 model year, is based on the 4Runner chassis, while the AN10/AN20/AN30 Hilux rides on an revamped version of the ladder frame found on previous versions. The Hilux increased in size and then became classified as a mid-size pick up.

Hilux models sold in Asian, European, Middle Eastern, and Oceanian markets are built and assembled in Thailand.

Searching on autozone I'm getting a few different hits.

Some are 11 inches which is way too wide, but some are 8.75 inches which seem more in line with what would fit at least in the early Z's

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-power-booster/duralast-reman-brake-power-booster/232665_633359_7889_32453

They specifically said bolt on, which is very appealing.