HybridZ

280ZX with 8 inch width wheels?

It looks like 8 inch wide wheels will fit in the rear of a 280ZX. The front might rub. Does anyone have wide wheels in a 280ZX and are there any issues?

What tread width is recomended.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=81589&highlight=280zx

This one post above says 15x8 front and 15x9 will fit. 225 width tires on front will be less width than 8 inches, right?

I'm talking about 18x8 so the rim edge is right up near the fender. Yes the car will be lowered the standard 1"

I have 17X7 in the front with -3.5 inch back space and the tire fill up the fender nicely and it has plenty of room between the strut and the tire. You can definitely put up to 8 inch wheel in the front. I have 17X8 in the back and again still have plenty of room between the strut and tire. You can go up to 10 inch in the back if you can find the right offset.

The widest wheel I have heard for a stock 280zx are:

18x8.5 front with 245/40/18 and 18x9.5 rear with 285/35/18

these were from a guy in NY. Unfortunately I don't know the offsets he used. According to him these where the absolute widest he could fit. I believe him:)

That is excellent. I will try the wheels I wanted which are 18x8 on all four corners. They are 30mm offset which gives a decent lip. I will have custom adaptors made once I figure out just what offset I really need.

oh, and I'm doing the 5-lug conversion too so that throws the hub up front out a little.

I have 17X7 in the front with -3.5 inch back space and... I have 17X8 in the back and again still have plenty of room between the strut and tire. You can go up to 10 inch in the back if you can find the right offset.

What is the correct offset on a 280ZX? Is the hub surface exactly centered? Meaning if a 8 inch wide wheel in front is close to rubbing on the inside and outside, do I just need to get the offset set to zero or should I push the wheel a tiny bit to the inside or outside? How about the rear? I know there is more room back there. Should I push the 8 inch wheel outward a few millimeters? 3-4mm maybe? Running stock 14x6 inch wheels doesn't really matter as much because there is so much room on both sides.

I'm planning to buy 18x8 wheels with +30mm offset. (because thats the lowest offset I can get) So basically the question is on the front do I get 30mm, 32mm, 40mm spacers? any other suggestions for front and rear? I can order adaptors in pretty much any thickness I want but I have to know exactly what to have made.

Guest 81na ZX

Stock is anywhere from +10 to +13, I can't recall exactly, on a 14x6 wheel. i.e. 3"+13mm backspace (just over 3.5").

To be safe, on a 18x8, you'll want 4" backspace. So a 30mm spacer. Ofcourse it depends on tire width, suspension, etc, but some people get 4.5" backspacing to work too. Meaning on an 8" wide wheel with a +30 offset, you'll want a 17.3mm min spacer if you can fit a 4.5" backspace.

All this is easily searchable and in threads here already.

All this is easily searchable and in threads here already.

REALLY? Show me. I've ran a few different searches on this subject over the last few days and read thorough many informational posts and got a lot of good info but NOTHING on my exact question. That is why I posted.

The tire I had in mind is not very wide. 225/40/18

From the information I gathered, it looks like zero offset is the way to go. Then if I need to push the wheel out to gain a couple mm on the inside I just throw a 2-3mm spacer ring over the lugs.