HybridZ

VG30DETT vs RB25DET

Guest camaro01bri

I'm no expert on this subject but, the RB25DET is an inline 6 and this conversion has been done more often than a VG30DETT, which of course you know is a V6. For sure the RB25DET will fit in the Z engine compartment, as far as engine width is concerned, easier than the VG30DETT. As far as which conversion is more cost effective.....I can't say. Have you taken the opportunity to search the archives here, on the RB conversion...as it may shead some light on the subject. Someone who has done this conversion may chime in with some answers. Just out of curiousity, where do you young guys get the $$$ to take on such an effort?

If you live in the US then the VG30DETT is more price affordable, and "easier" to find parts for, i.e. forged pistons etc. There are only 3 ways in which I know of on how to install the VG30DETT, one is like already explained, another is leave everything stock and have 3mm of clearance (as told to me in another post) but then you fight working room, and the last way is to make custom exhaust manifolds that run past the front strut towers and have the turbos supported by some sort of stand. The VG30DETT also has one major problem that I've hear of which is the steering column requires a large portion of modification, however i do not know if that still applies with the front mounted turbos.

As for the RB26DETT is slightly easier swap, just because more people have done it. You already have custom motor mounts, custom exhaust manifolds, tons of info on the swap, a little bit more room in the engine bay. Both are going to require custom tranny housing and all the other stuff necessary for a swap. However the largest draw back so far that I have seen to the RB swappers is the cost, very, very expensive for US citizens unless you have connections in Japan like some of them do. I've done price sheets on both for a VG30DETT engine and tranny installation, forged pistons, 2 intercoolers and pipping, boost controller, custom exhaust manifold and stand for the turbos, including down pipes, and a dual 3 inch exhaust is going to run me around $10,000 US dollars. For the same setup with an RB25DET not the RB26 just because its a little bit cheaper was $15,000. Another problem that you will run into unless your doing a crazy awd setup (i think someone on here has done it), is you will have to buy the RB25 transmission seperate the RB26 Engine.

Also one more thing, try to use the search comparisons of the RB26DETT vs. VG30DETT have been discussed thorougly.

Tyson

Any of you more experienced guys want to correct feel free to do so :).

I am currently doing a RB swap into my '72 240z, i am using a RB30DET (RB25DE head on the RB30E bottem end)

Once you know the little tricks and what parts to use etc it is a fairly straight forward swap (don't read cheap)

I am spending my money on good bolt on stuff, but i guess you dont have to.

Costings on parts collected so far, in NZ$

RB30 engine (cheap as chips in NewZealand) $150

modified RB25DE (R33 VVT) head with gaskets

& RBDEoil pump etc $900

Custom inlet plenum $1,250

R33 RB25DET 5 speed box $2,000

Billet alloy 80mm thottle body $500

Custom engine mounts $170

Z200r Rb20de rear sump pan & pickup $480

600x300x100 intercooler $500

Parts still needed

Custom rear gbox mount $200?

exhaust manifold $700?

GT35R or similar turbo $2,000?

New stand alone ECU $1500?

Remote wastegate $750?

Pipe work $500?

Fuel rail & injectors $1,000

Random stuff i forgot $2,000

Not trying to scare you here, but this is what this stuff costs, with the right bits it will all bolt in & with my combo above will make in excess of 600hp no drama. I guess it could be done cheaper as i am putting in some good bits.

Ie you could run factory thottle body, inlet plenum, smaller factory type intercooler, cheaper turbo etc and save some dollars. But hey you dont go to all this trouble to get "just a little more power" than an L series do ya?

From a physical size point of view the RB swap would be heaps easier i'm sure than the VG30DETT.

Hope this has been of some help. Get into it!

JUST REMEMBER!

It takes about an hour to take off the intake plenum on a VG compared to the less effort needed by the RB25DET.

Working on the VG is a freakin BITCH! But power is good no doubt and cheaper.

You also might want to check out these threads that have asked the SAME EXACT THING!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=78021

and

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=93232

Sorry if I sound mean guy, but these are common questions.