HybridZ

15x7 Konig Rewind Tire Size - Need Help

I have a 1978 280Z with Tokico Springs and Illumina Struts. The car is in the paint shop and I have a new set of 15x7 Konig Rewinds sitting in my living room. The car currently sits on 205/70/14's and the speedometer is accurate to a little fast. The speedometer may read a little faster than the car is actually travelling. I am not very concerned with the speedometer.

I would just like to know what size tires I can put on my car. I would like at least 205's. I think 205/65/15's would be within 5mm larger. I think 205/60/15's would be 15mm smaller. Is this the widest I can go on these rims without coilovers? Does anyone know? Any other suggestions?

I have 16 x 7 Konig wheels (Honda offset and Modern Motorsports adapters) with 225/45-17's that fit fine without coilovers. I've heard that some people have issues with going with 225 tires, but 215's will always fit (with the correct combination of offset and adapters).

225/50/15's fit with no problem and those are race tires which are wider tahtn any street tire rated for that width, 9.2" section width and 23.7" diameter, I'd suggest something in a 225/60/15 the stats for most street tires are gonna be in an acceptable range and you can go for the 225/50/15 if you want a smaller tire

Guest iskone

I've got the same wheels. I'm gonna be using 225/50/15 Toyo /RA-1's good for up to 8,000 miles. My car should have the tires on soon if I get mine on first I'll let you know.

BTW: full coils, camber plates, x member 3" off the ground

Isk

225/50R15 all the way.... stay away froim 60 series tires!

I use 205/60/14's on the street, I like them for the ride. My suspension is stiff and the streets are potholed very bad in my home town of Missoula Montana, so I try to offset the patches and pot holes with taller sidewalls. For performance I agree the 225/50 is the way to go. If we had great pavement around here I would run that size or even a 45 series on a 16" wheel but I think the car and I would be shaken to peices here.

• 8 months later...

We generally suggest a 225/50/15 for the 15" wheels.

For the 14" wheels, 205/70/14 works well.

You can go with other sizes in this range, but you do not want to increase the over all diameter to larger than stock sizes.

As far as width goes, anything from a 195 to a 225 fits very well on these 7" wide wheels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

225/50-15=shorter tire sidewalls.looks good but rougher ride than a 60 series tire.in run 215/60-15 on 15x7 wheels.but i run real stiff springs becuase i have a part time track car.the tires are part of the suspension.you have to have a priority.looks or function.my track tires are 225/50-15.car feels like it is on skateboard wheels.

100_0753.JPG

I also have the MSA type 3 front air dam and I'm using Cooper Cobra GT 225-50-15 tires and as you can see I had to take very little off the rear lip of that air dam for turning purposes. As to the ride, it was a nice improvement in tracking and slow speed turning over the 195 tires I had on the 14" old rims....

LARRY

some people have trouble with fitment in the rear upper wheel arches...

I run 225/50/15 Kumho/Toyo on 2 different sets of wheels... I had to roll the top portion of the rear wheel well lip...

This is probably because I have pushed the wheel position out slightly with rear Camber bushings.

Hoosier's DOT track tires are definitely wider than most tires... 225 Hoosier will not fit where most others barely clear....

You know actual tire dimensions differ from each manufacturer, Just check out ' The Tire Rack" website. Not only do they have the prices, but they also have the actual tire dimensions listed for every tire.

Here's what happend to me. I bought 235x40x17 kumho 712's street tires for the front of my car, They fit great in a 17x7 rim, So when I wanted to buy a second set of autocross tires I bought the same size tire, only in kumho v700's.

Guess what? they where too big. Sure enough, I went to the tireracks website and found that indeed the v700's were almost 1/2" wider? So even from the same manufacturer the tire's were NOT the same physical size. Just my 2 cent's.