HybridZ

280zx Rb25?

Hi guys! Glad to see at last a bit of work going on in the 280zx RB domain! :)

I am just about to get started on putting in a RB30DET into my '79 280zx so that should be pretty similar to the rb25. I knew from day dot that it wasn't going to be a cheap swap.

The grand plans are as follows for a ~300rwkw 280zx!!!:

Rb30Det (rb25 head rb30 block)

GT35R Turbo

RB25DET gearbox

200zr (Z31) rear sump and oil pickup (if I can source one from Japan somewhere)

Custom engine mounts

Custom gearbox mounts

R200 LSD Diff + all custom shafts

Suspension upgrades

Seam weld chassis

It won't happen over night and I'm certainly no expert but I'd be happy to share my 'learning experiences' (aka F*$KUPS) along the way. :)

Z-Monster...

I'm very interested to know more about how you've set up your steering package. Currently the power steering in the 280zx is very soggy and I dislike it. My other car RB25DE R33 Skyline has fantastic steering and I'm hoping to replicate that in the 280zx although I must admit I know next to nothing about the steer system in either vehicle.

Also what did you set up for your suspension? Is it for track or road use? An how does it perform. It seems to me that the factory suspension (26 years old!) seems to magnify that bumps but still rolls over on the corners!

you (the experts) act like we are trying to steal secrets or something. all i want is the basic engine swap information. the rest i can do on my own. i just need to know about getting it mounted' date=' and fitted up to the drivetrain which is the main complication here. what i was getting at was there isn't enough info on how to do the RB swap on a ZX. there is plenty of info by searching on the older Z cars, but not much at all for the ZX so that doesn't help me cause a lot of things are different on the newer chassis.

[/quote']

Hey bro, first of all welcome to HybridZ. Please don't get intimidated by those guys with lots and lots of posts, but you do have to understand where they are coming from.

We have posted so much info about the RB swaps into the Z's that it might get annoying to repeat ourselves when the questions you ask have already been asked before you. I highly suggest you search thoroughly, or even PM a few members who have done something similar to what you are doing.

For instance, people have clicked on my link below in my sig before even asking me a single question, because they found the answers that they needed by searching.

As for the motor mounts, I can make motor mounts for the RB Block into L-Series Chassis (Any L-Series Chassis). Just search for "Q's Mounts"

Hey bro' date=' first of all welcome to HybridZ. Please don't get intimidated by those guys with lots and lots of posts, but you do have to understand where they are coming from.

[/quote']

To bad, I think we ran him off.... Maybe he's just layin back for awhile and reading all the posts.

Its good to see the ZX's getting some play. :2thumbs:

:)

Z-Monster...

I'm very interested to know more about how you've set up your steering package. Currently the power steering in the 280zx is very soggy and I dislike it. My other car RB25DE R33 Skyline has fantastic steering and I'm hoping to replicate that in the 280zx although I must admit I know next to nothing about the steer system in either vehicle.

Also what did you set up for your suspension? Is it for track or road use? An how does it perform. It seems to me that the factory suspension (26 years old!) seems to magnify that bumps but still rolls over on the corners!

ok here is what i did. took a complete front crossmember of a cefiro/s13 same including the power steering unit itself. then took my 280zx crossmember and grafted the cefiro's powersteering mounting points onto my 280zx's. that was the end of mounting the rack on. then, the tie rods at both end of the steering rack had to be shortened so i had then cut and rethreaded. thats about it... re plumbed the lines and shrank my oil sump alittle more to clead the new power steering unit that was sitting right on the crossmember. its very good... i have hear of ppl using subaru power steering units so maybe thats the way to go if it bolts on without having to shorten the tie rods... PM me if yall have other questions. i have no free play on my steering.. no oil leaks... nice.

• 2 months later...
Guest datsunRBZ

i also have a 78 280z with a rb25det swap if you have any questions still you can pm me also......dont worry about the swap if you want to buy a car with the swap im selling mine

Okay, I was thinking of swapping an RB25 into my 280zx. After reading all this, I can honestly say that I am utterly confused. It isn't that hard though. I'm not mechanically inclined. If someone break this down so a hardhead like myself could understand it would help.

• 1 year later...
Guest stealthfrenchmen

i have the same questions same as the guy below me... i was just woundering what fab work ill have to do... also like what ill have to do to the rearend... im kinda new with all this.. so any kind of info will help

email me at stealthfrenchmen@yahoo.com

Guest stealthfrenchmen

oh yea i forgot to say i have a 76 280z not a zx... is that still even possible? oh yea datsunrbz how much for your car..

Funny this thread popped up, I just made a new thread on another Z forum asking about a RB25 into a 280ZX. I just came back from my local engine importer and he has a sweet deal...$2500 for a complete RB25DET with tranny, harness, and ECU. I am now serouisly considering the swap, even if not many ppl in the US have done it into a 280ZX. Oh and just for fun I asked a local shop how much for the swap...they quoted me around 4K:shock: but that was including a new high power fuel pump, a FMIC kit and Fluidyne radiator, so ill get some aftermaket goodies too. What you guys think?

Funny this thread popped up, I just made a new thread on another Z forum asking about a RB25 into a 280ZX. I just came back from my local engine importer and he has a sweet deal...$2500 for a complete RB25DET with tranny, harness, and ECU. I am now serouisly considering the swap, even if not many ppl in the US have done it into a 280ZX. Oh and just for fun I asked a local shop how much for the swap...they quoted me around 4K:shock: but that was including a new high power fuel pump, a FMIC kit and Fluidyne radiator, so ill get some aftermaket goodies too. What you guys think?

I was quoted 4000 for a full driveable swap. And they had the engine there so I could actually check it out. Still a definite thought.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest car-zone

After a nice drive on the m1 we decided to head home but first we must go to McDonalds for a Mcfat burger, anyway a bunch of kids standing infront of a EG civic started to yell abuse at us for driving a datsun (take that shitbox home etc) what the kids didnt know is that the old datsun had a RB25det maken around 400 hp, after the little ***** fight we had a little race along mains road and u guessued it thats the kill, not because they were in a less powerfull car but because they were smart arse's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 9 months later...