HybridZ

Z Car weights

A scale?

A car that actually runs?

A V8?

I need all of the above! :lmao:

Been looking at XP and running the 5.3L. Weight would be 2350 lbs, so it might take some ballast.

haha ... while your at it why dont you go widebody so you can fit some 14" rims (wide) and the big rubber Oregon style. You know while your at it ...

So what year is the maiden voyage planned for and what exactly is XP? We had a guy in a late model mustand with NO body panels run XP. His car is a work in progress so I'm not sure he was legal but its funny watching someone drive a sedan without doors.

Cameron

haha ... while your at it why dont you go widebody so you can fit some 14" rims (wide) and the big rubber Oregon style. You know while your at it ...

Got 15 x 12s for the rear. Plan is to stretch some bubble flares to fit. You know, while I'm at it.

So what year is the maiden voyage planned for and what exactly is XP? We had a guy in a late model mustand with NO body panels run XP. His car is a work in progress so I'm not sure he was legal but its funny watching someone drive a sedan without doors.

Car should be running by 2025 at the very latest. I'll be 50 then so I'm just hoping my reflexes will keep up. :wink:

X Prepared is a kind of open prepared class, I think it swallowed up B Prepared. It's in the SCCA rulebook if you want the specifics. The short version is that weight is tied to displacement. With a 5.3 LS engine the weight spec would be 2350 lbs. I think there is a serious advantage to smaller displacement turbo cars because they can weigh A LOT less, but I'm not out for a national championship, I just want to build a really fast Z car.

Finally got a chance to scale it at a track day this weekend. 2347 w/ passenger seat which I dont normally run (late mode RX7 leather 35 lb). Maybe 5 gallon of gas give or take. Surprised it was a bit nose heavy but cross was right on. Also heavy to the left. I'm surprised it came in that heavy.

PS: Still need brakes ... spun off the end of turn one again ... on a different track.

Cameron

What were the weights?

w/out driver

LF 611, RF 650, LR 546, RR 540

w/ ~220 lb driver

LF 678, RF 653, LR 648, RR 595

'72 240Z. LS1/T56 about in the John's Car position fore/aft but ~3/4" offset to the right (custom mounts) - should have shoved it back more but too late now. Stock radiator. Plastic Camaro fuel tank. Kirkey aluminum driver seat. Aluminum driveshaft. R200. Gutted. 15x10 Diamonds w/ hoosier radail slicks. Full SFC. Misc chassis reinforcements. Full size battery on floor behind passenger seat. Dual 2.5" exhaust w/ 14" round Magnaflows. Stock brakes (for now). And a passenger seat.

Edit: To be more precise it was 2347, passenger seat & belts are 35 lb so normal race weight is 2312 lb.

In case you dont want to get out your calculators that's 51.7% front and 51.5% left & within 1/2% of 50% cross w/ driver.

Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

1973 240Z - 2560LBS

-LQ9 V8, LS6 heads, MS3 cam, LS7 clutch/pressure plate. 2.5" dual exhaust.

-T56 transmission.

-R200 diff/LSD

-(2)Kirkey Aluminum seats/harness's

-Dash with autometer gauges

-19gal fuel cell w/6 gallons

-Maxima rear disc

-Ground control coil over/koni 5 way adjustable shocks.

-Sport max 15x8 wheels w/235 tires.

-Reinforced subframe rails.

-Optima batt.

-Autopower Roll bar

2180 lbs with less than 1/2 tank.

'71 with cf hood

AZC 4 wheel disc brakes

AZC big piston coil overs

chrmo control arms

15x9.5 Kodiaks with slicks

14 point cage

PDK FG dash with Autometer ultra-lites

race seats

full interior with all glass (no HVAC)

L28 with triples, crankfire

5-speed

r180

AZC Al radiator

stock bumpers with all holes filled

280ZX coupe two seater.

VG30DET engine, Z32 gearbox, custom adjustable S14 front and rear suspension, R200 diff, CV axles, Stoptech front brakes, stripped interior with stock dash, two seats, half cage, 30 liters of fuel, driver out - 1224kg (2737 lbs).

Weight distribution, driver in - F 52.7%, R 47.3%.

Mates 260Z with a RB30ET engine, similar gearbox, couple of fiberglass panels, full interior, weighs around the same.

• 3 weeks later...

'71 240z:

LF: 271 RF: 271

LR: 404 RR: 392

Total: 1338

F/R: 40.5%/59.5%

This is with no engine, no floors, no transmission, no driveshaft, no interior, w/fuel tank, full suspension, steering, brakes, metal rear bumper, all lights, ZG Flares, IMSA 3 Piece wing, full glass, all metal bodywork. I believe my shell is extremely clean and contains no bondo except for on the hatch (if you care about how much bondo weighs). However, I thought it would be good reference material.

If I remember correctly the early 280z's were lighter, probably similar in weight to the 260z's. The later 280z's eventually ended upa round 2900lbs with heaviest options, once again if I remember correctly.

Gollum and I took his 75 280z on truck scales a while back and weighed his in around 2620lbs IIRC. Put my Explorer which is suppose to curb weight at 4046... weighed in at 4340lbs. When I went on and off the scale it always added 160lbs (I weigh 150lbs, but the scale reads out to the +/- 20). Scale always returned to zero, with just me on it the scale read 160lbs as well. So it was relatively accurate and thus I believe it its readings +/- 40-50lbs if anything reading heavier than actual.

Nissan never made stock 280Z that weighed 2,800lbs. Not even the automatic 2 + 2s.

Obviously JohnC is much more "the authority" on this topic than I am, but I can say that in my hands on experience I can't see a 280Z from the showroom ever being anything close to 2900 pounds. So I can easily see JohnC statement being 100% accurate.

But really, those bumpers ARE heavy though. The bumpers and the doors are the largest chunk of weight difference between the 240Z and the 280Z.

The bumpers on the S130 were pretty freakin' heavy as well. And the S130 2+2 doors in full trim with glass are monsters.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious now. I've been debating on just going the route and building my 76' 280Z 2+2 or trying to sell it and get a 2-seater S30. I saw one person weighed their 76' I believe on one of these pages and it came out 2850 lbs. I'd like to know what it weighs when you drop the bumpers and the A/C. As far as I can tell it looks like the 2+2's really didn't weigh that much more than the 2-seaters in full stock form?