HybridZ

Z Car weights

Well our 78 280z zcar with the roll cage, baddog frame rails, 355 cu. chevy with 6-71 blower, 2 speed glide, lexan door windows, doors gutted, 5 gallon fuel cell, weld rims, slicks etc weighs in at 2745lbs no driver. We are running the 240z front bumper and stock independent suspesion. With driver is 2965lbs.

We have lightened it from the original car, but with the rollbar, blower, adds extra weight. I do think the 280z was heavy compared to the 240Z.

John

The door post on my 77 280Z says it weighs 3203 lbs. Strange, since I know I added weight on my LT1 swap with a 4L60E tranny, AC, baddog frames and a lot of metal added to install the Camaro fuel tank. The only thing that is lighter is the fiberglass bumpers and the Z06 Corvette seats. It weighed in ar 2905 with a fukk tank of gas.

The door post on my 77 280Z says it weighs 3203 lbs.
That's GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) not curb weight. GVWR is how much the car would weigh with the maximum load it should carry (manufacturer recomended). So if the cars curb weight is 2800 lbs and GVWR is 3200 the manufacturer recomends you dont carry more than 400 lbs in the vehicle.

LOL, ya know I knew that. What was I thinking????? I guess thats why it says GVWR right in front of that number.

That's GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) not curb weight. GVWR is how much the car would weigh with the maximum load it should carry (manufacturer recomended). So if the cars curb weight is 2800 lbs and GVWR is 3200 the manufacturer recomends you dont carry more than 400 lbs in the vehicle.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Moving the drivetrain over by modifying the engine mounts was done by BSR to balance out the car by getting more weight on the front right wheel. I'm figuring it might not been in compliance with the rules at that time but it worked.

My 72 gnose with a full interior, L28 w/triples, R200 Quaife, 16x8 Custom Wheels (245/45/16) full tank of gas, tool bag and misc spare parts - 2467lbs

The 72 race car w/cage, L24 w/triples, R180, 15x7F-15x10R BBS wheels, 14 gals 110, 12 qts of oil, accusump, fire bottle, BDP frame rails, driveshaft hoop, duel exhaust - 2208 lbs

IMG_0768_zpskx8qabtt.jpg

1980 base model 280zx with an SR20, lightweight flywheel, stock SR trans, full size lead battery, subaru r180 with stock axles, real urethane whale tail. Interior only has dash (all AC stuff ripped out), center console, door cards, roof liner, and 2 6x9 speakers in plywood boxes. seats are Sparco Ultras with wedge seat brackets and sparco sliders.

Car was weighted with some 16x7 steelies (not pictured) and some  hefty spacers to accommodate. Suspension is s13 coilovers welded on front and adapter made out back, T3 T/C rods. Car had 5 gallons of gas in. Came in at 2470lbs without me. I hope to get it below 2400lbs with proper wheels, a fg hood, and lightweight race battery. Car was also weighed with both bumpers on, I hope to eventually remove and replace them with something else. 

Edited by BluDestiny

Might also help if you could remove some of the bumper support structure when you do your bumpers. I don't know what it's like on the S130, but it's pretty obvious on the S30 since it was just an add-on. I have a '76 shell that I'm going to remove some excess stuff from, and then compare it to my series 1 shell to see what the weight difference is between the two as a bare chassis.

• 1 year later...

Interesting thread, These S30's are a lot heavier than I thought an hoped for. I was hoping for 1100'kgs for my RB-Z. Thats with Carbon bonnet, FRP wings, lighter coilovers, alloy hubs and thats about it for the weight saving. 

Its looking like I'd be lucky to hit 1200 once my half cage goes in (estimating 25-30kg) Bit disappointing. Next car project needs to be lighter. Will weigh mine once current work is complete.

2 hours ago, EF Ian said:

Interesting thread, These S30's are a lot heavier than I thought an hoped for. I was hoping for 1100'kgs for my RB-Z. Thats with Carbon bonnet, FRP wings, lighter coilovers, alloy hubs and thats about it for the weight saving. 

Its looking like I'd be lucky to hit 1200 once my half cage goes in (estimating 25-30kg) Bit disappointing. Next car project needs to be lighter. Will weigh mine once current work is complete.

I think 1200 is perfectly doable depending on what you're willing to do. For yanks that's about 2650lbs and I anticipate my L6 turbo '75 landing in around 2200-2300, and that's with all stock steel body. The main reason you might not reach 1100 kgs (or 2425 lbs) would be creature comforts and sound deadening. A lot of weight people end up fighting is the weight of power escalation running 4 times stock tire, huge brakes, etc. It all adds up. There's some damn light s30 builds out there if you look around.

I have full interior, radio with 2 small speakers, 10kg's of sound deadening, lightweight carpet throughout and thats it for the comforts. But I do have 225/50/16's all round and will soon run 245/45/16's on the rear. I have big brakes all round, but the front setup weighs no more than the stock did and the rear didn't add much either over stock. Other than that its only what the RB added over the L26. Plus beetween removing unused parts, lightweight battery, coil-overs being lighter and some light weight body parts I've removed over 50kg from what it was stock.

I would now be happy with anything under 1200kg with a small half cage. With 490HP and 490LBFT it still makes for a decent power to weight.

I dream of upgrading to a titanium exhaust system at some point down the line.

Edited by EF Ian

RB25DET, Intercooler, Full AC system, Bad Dog rails, Dynamat in the front passenger compartment floors and firewall only, full AZC Suspension, full wilwood brake setup, 17 x8.5/9.5 Rotas, Aftermarket big radiator and twin electric fans, spare tire...2,680

20170305_173309.jpg

Edited by boosted300