aluminum radiator

half cage/ tubular front end/ subframe

no carpet, no under coat, no sound deadener

16 x 8 inch centerlines with 245/45/16 HoosierA3S04 tires

stock seats, full doors, all glass

16 gallons of fuel

Me (190 lbs)

2716 total (53.6% r/46.4% f)

Lets see, 73" z with the following. 383 scb w/ lakewood bellhousing,T56 trans.R200 w/ quaife. 300zxt cv's. Recaro's SRD seats. full interior. Vintage air A/C. 6 point roll bar, subframe connectors. Full roll of brown bread sound deadner. 1/2 tank of a 12 gallon ATL fuel cell. Drum roll please. 2780 lbs. I really thought it was going to be much closer to 3000.

• 2 years later...

Mines a 79 s130, all i have done is your basic wieght reduction, gutted the insides, and pieced everything back together. Went from steelies to factory toyota supra wheels (13lbs a piece) Falken tires, 10.5lbs fidanza flywheel. replaced my fullback seats with momo fiberglass START 2007 seats (18lbs a piece), i cant remember what all i did, but i took the car to my local gravel place and used their scale and wieghed in at 2594lbs, pretty lieght for an s130. Im about to put some 15x8 watanabes on with some wider tires, that will increase the wieght some as well. Im looking into 12 gallon fuel cells.

My 1977 280Z weighed 2800 lbs even with 3/4 tank of gas when it was completely stock except for an '83 T-5. It was 1400 lbs on each end.

After the LS1/T56 conversion it was 2830 lbs - with the extra 30 lbs on the rear. I have not yet had it back on the scale since I aded the roll bar, strut tower braces, the custom interior, and the brake upgrade. Guess I need to figure out where I am now.

My totally stock 1983 280ZX weighed 1430 on the nose and 1450 on the tail for 2880 lbs total. - with 3/4 tank of fuel.

Put the beast back on the scales and it came in at 3,000 lbs even. 1440 on the nose and 1560 on the tail. Extra weight due to sound proofing, 4-pt roll bar, and an extensive stereo system. also noted that driver weight distributes 75% rear wheels & 25% front wheels in my case with the seat all the way back & leaning.

encouraging... i was starting to doubt that i could get my car into the 2000lb range.. it will be a stripped out 240Z, backhalved with a 9 inch, plastic camaro tank, 2 seats, steering column, gauges, LSx motor and 4L60e, with S12+8s up front.. i think i should be in the 2k range dont you guys think?

encouraging... i was starting to doubt that i could get my car into the 2000lb range.. it will be a stripped out 240Z, backhalved with a 9 inch, plastic camaro tank, 2 seats, steering column, gauges, LSx motor and 4L60e, with S12+8s up front.. i think i should be in the 2k range dont you guys think?

What about a cage? I think it might not be easy to get to 2k with all that stuff, ei 4l60e, ford 9 in. Even so, you can easily have a great power to weight ratio, if thats what you are looking for.

This thread is awesome thanks, im getting a 76 280z shell for my l28et I have and was scared they weigh a ton more than the 240z, I think it was because more eltronics and wiring were introduced, and tad bit longer, I know when I pulled all the wiring and I mean all from the car it must weigh 50lbs(and some eltronics).

If I use a 4spd(with the 4spd driveshaft) vs a 5spd(with the 5spd shaft) will the 4spd be lighter?

• 1 month later...

Gosh I'm so overly joyed to be able to contribute to this thread.

75' 280Z. L28ET w/Nissan 5 speed. No carpet-mats instead. Dynomat installed as well. Lots of spare parts in back + my laptop up front. Gas was a bit over half a tank, possibly 3/4. I have yet to put more than 12 gallons in due to the way the guage reads, so reading above half might be 3/4. I also obviously didn't have bumpers on the car. The car also has rear disc conversion.

Weight

=

Weighed by the truck scale at my work. They said it "should be accurate within 50 pounds". Well even if it's off 50 pounds I'm still well under 2700 and might be under 2600 with all the crap removed from the back.

I'll be weighing it more in the future for sure. I can pretty much use it any time I want when leaving work.

'77 280Z LT1 iron block, aluminum heads.

4L60E transmission with cooler.

Aluminum JTR radiator, AC condensor, Taurus fan.

LT1 fuel tank (full 17 gallons).

Complete interior with steel/fiberglass custom dash (heavier than stock) and Miata seats, two layers of sound deadener and full carpet.

Fiberglass front and rear bumpers.

2905 lbs.

1974 260z l28et holset hx30w starion intercooler 280zxt radiator. no ac. 240sx transmission. r200lsd. cv axles. 7-8 gallons of gas. full interior. spare tire. and probably about 30-40lbs of tools in the toll boxes. shaved rear end and sidemarkers no bumpers and bumper shocks removed 2525lbs!!! i think i could get it under 2450 real easy if i removed spare and tools