HybridZ

Z Car weights

Vintage racing 1970 240Z. 12 point roll cage with double door bars both sides, stripped interior except for stock dash, one race seat, 15 gallon fuel cell (1/4 full), fiberglass hood and hatch, lexan rear window, glass windshield, no door windows or mechanisms, L24 with triple webers, 5 speed, R180 w/LSD, 15 x 7 Panasports, aluminum radiator, steel fenders/doors/quarters/bumpers. 2,150 lbs mandated minimum weight without driver (car has about 75 lbs. of ballast mounted on the passenger floorboard).

1980 280ZX....

Here's the basic specs on my car...

*1993 Camaro LT1 Engine (alluminum water pump housing with CSR electric water pump, stock alluminum heads and intake)

*1993 T56 6 speed transmission(stock flywheel)

*R200 with CV's (3.54:1)

*Griffin 26"x19" Alluminum Radiator

*All stock emssions stuff removed(stuff that came with the L28 engine)

*All emissons stuff removed from LT1

*Battery relocated to spare tire area

*All A/C components removed(including evaporator core)

*Stock seats replaced with Corbeau CR1's and Corbeau brackets

*Stock gauges replaced with Autometer gauges

*About 35-40lbs of sound deadening on floor, sides and doors of car(peel n' seal)

*Rear sway bar removed

*Tokico Springs and Struts(lowerd 1.5")

*Sport Max 962's 18x7.5" front with 225/40 tires and 18x9.5" rear with 265/25 tires

*stock braking system

*Autopower 4 point rollbar

*T-Tops in hatch of car

*Half tank of gas

Ok here's the without me in the car....

LF....715 RF....787

LR....775 RR....705

------------------------

1490 1492

Front....1502....50.4%

Rear.....1480....49.6%

Total....2982

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

:::See quote bellow for previous weight and car/engine specs:::

Weighed my car again friday after getting off work. Once again I started by making sure the scale had been zero'd. Drove on, then proceeded to take what little I had in the car out to get a realistic "drag race" weight from the car.

Took out my laptop, jacket, car haynes manual, spare tire+rim, jack, jack stands, tire iron, 2 tools sets, and a few other odds and ends. I still have a few tools I left up in the front of the car.

Fuel was at about 3/8th on the guage, but I don't think that means much. It said almost a half tank after the 20 minute drive home and then 1/4 next time I started the car up. By my guess it was probably about 3/8th though. Definately bellow half, but not a 1/4 yet.

My new stripped weight:

2460 pounds.

Waaaay better than I expected. Rudypoochris is going to come by sometime this week I think so we can check the weight of another car (not a Z car) to help verify the scale accuracy. If it's at least close that sure shows how much crap I had in the car before.

Gosh I'm so overly joyed to be able to contribute to this thread.

75' 280Z. L28ET w/Nissan 5 speed. No carpet-mats instead. Dynomat installed as well. Lots of spare parts in back + my laptop up front. Gas was a bit over half a tank, possibly 3/4. I have yet to put more than 12 gallons in due to the way the guage reads, so reading above half might be 3/4. I also obviously didn't have bumpers on the car. The car also has rear disc conversion.

Weight

=

Weighed by the truck scale at my work. They said it "should be accurate within 50 pounds". Well even if it's off 50 pounds I'm still well under 2700 and might be under 2600 with all the crap removed from the back.

I'll be weighing it more in the future for sure. I can pretty much use it any time I want when leaving work.

1972 240Z time trial racer:

Fiberglass hood, front fenders

modified 6 point cage

12 gal aluminum fuel cell (1/4 full)

no interior

full glass

Fiberglass air dam and rear spoiler

no bumpers

L28 with header, EFI

ZX 5-speed

Nismo R200 CLSD

coil overs

1" front sway bar, none rear

vented 4x4 brakes front,stock rear

rear mounted battery

two seats

working wipers

stock dash and gauges

ZX radiator

electric fan

15x7 Panasports

2250lbs

Early 260 1974 autoxer

Weighed in at 2170 without driver Today

8 gal fuel cell w/ 3gal gas

full 6 point cage

225 15 hoosiers on 15x8 sportmax 002

2 racing seats 12lbs each

6 point harnesses

msa larger front and rear sway bars

3 point strut bars

gutted interior, everything gone.

Aluminum dash with minimal gauges

Gutted doors no glass no anything

No 1/4 windows

Lexan in rear hatch

Stock glass windshield

r-160 subaru differential

4 speed tranny

L2.8 NA EFI

header

2.5" exhaust

glass pack

flowmaster

Fiberglass Airdam

Metal hood and fenders

full wipers

all lights

"street legal"

I need to loose another 105 which shouldnt be too hard

Last year I weighed in at over 2500 with full interior no cage

no cell, glass, basically stockefi6.jpg.w560h373.jpg

• 4 months later...

I just weighed my new Daily, the 1980 280ZX

Factory Trim:

NON T-Top!

Power Windows

Power Steering

Power Mirrors

OEM Interior

A/C

100% Stock Engine

Modifications:

Stereo w/ 6" speakers behind seats

Weight Reduction:

No spare tire (didn't come with one)

No Scissor Jack (ditto)

Fuel Tank Level

Between 1/8 and 1/4. A little under 3/8 I think, but close.

Items in car:

Hydrolic Jack

Jumper Cables

2 Ton Jack Stands(2)

145 Piece Tool Kit

Hammer

Four Way Wheel Wrench

PB & J Fixin's for Lunch

The weight?

=======

2780 lbs.

=======

Remove the tools and I should be nearly down to 2700. I have high hopes that if I was to be using a S130 for a low budget auto-X only type of car I could get it down to 2300 easily enough. With a larger budget I'm sure 2100 pounds is achivable with a cage, though I think we already know that from the S130 race cars from the 80's.

What I think this should show though, is that the 280ZX had almost just as large of a weight spread from 79' to 83' as the S30 did from 70' to 78'. I'm betting a 100% stock 79' with out all the power options nor AC would be down around 2600 pounds, while a fully trimmed out 83' would be around 3000-3100 easily.

I'm still itching to find out what a bumperless 79' base model would weigh though.

Might as well add mine:

'72 240Z built for ITS SCCA class

Full cage, 6 point, fire system, 12 gallon cell with 6 gallons fuel, no driver or cool suit. OEM dash, heater core, etc. Electric fan, oil cooler, etc. Still have the OEM door panels and window glass but will probably lose them and add ballast.

I can add another from a customer car:

1974 260Z - 2,150 lbs. SR20DET swap, big turbo, intercooler, oil cooler, aluminum radiator, no interior, no door windows, fiberglass hood, fiberglass bumpers, steel hatch, steel doors, 17" CCW wheels, 5 speed, R180, AZC big brake kit all around, fuel cell. Weight was measured with the car dry (no fuel, oil, coolant).

Here's another:

1971 240Z - 2,012lbs. Ex-GT2 car now running Vintage. 2.4L, tripple webers, dry sump, 4 speed B Box, R180 with LSD, 15 x 7 wheels, 10 point cage, no interior, aluminum dash, fiberglass hood and hatch with Lexan windows all around, fuel cell, aluminum radiator.

Guest Gr8White
That is truly amazing. This weight figure is the sole key to the advantage of a datsun Zcar in my opinion. Mike

Amen to that, take a Camaro LS-1 drivetrain for instance, swap it in to a 2700 lb. Z car and voila....1 second off the 1/4 mile times... a 12.5 E.T. vs. a 13.5..... Drag that Camaro like a kite in a hurricane....

I could only imagine a stripped 2200 lb car in the same race....:eek2::eek2:

You gotta love these cars!

Guest Gr8White
Here's another:

1971 240Z - 2,012lbs. Ex-GT2 car now running Vintage. 2.4L, tripple webers, dry sump, 4 speed B Box, R180 with LSD, 15 x 7 wheels, 10 point cage, no interior, aluminum dash, fiberglass hood and hatch with Lexan windows all around, fuel cell, aluminum radiator.

This is simply amazing, I couldn't resist so I did the quick math...Say you have a 3600 lb. Camaro with an stock LS-1 putting, say 275 hp to the wheels and running a 13.72 in the quarter. Take this 2012# car, add 200 lbs to it and the car still is capable of running mid 11's (11.65)...wow!!!

Sorry to hijack, but this has me stoked!!!

I could only imagine a stripped 2200 lb car in the same race....:eek2::eek2:

What I can't figure out is why we haven't seen one yet. The red LS1 car was 2500 lbs, I'm not sure what Cameron's weighs, but theoretically a 2200 lb LS powered Z shouldn't be too hard to build. And yes, it would be awesome.

Cameron thinks his is capable of high 11's and his motor is apparently stock: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=137500

• 4 weeks later...

1977 280Z

N42/N47 stock motor, stock intake manifold with ZXT turbo manifold, Holset HE351, full 3" stainless exhaust and Borla XR-1

Monster 4" thick intercooler and 3" aluminum piping with Tial BOV

Megasquirt and EDIS-6 with aluminum dash, simplified wiring, autometer gauges

Mostly stripped interior with Jeg's 10-point cage. Driver's seat swapped to Kirkey seat with 5-point harnesses. Door panels and door innards retained. Aftermarket carpet for front half of interior. Original sound deadening "tar" still there in the interior. Undercarriage was coated by previous owner for rust prevention and sound deadening.

Later Borg Warner T-5.

Toyota non-vented front and 240SX rear calipers

Stock suspension with new struts/springs, Energy Suspension kit

Group Buy 17x9" F and 17x9.5" R Rota RB wheels

Xenon plastic front lip, CF hood, CF BRE-style spoiler, no bumpers

Just filled the gas tank

2500 lbs. even. Scales accurate to +/- 20 lbs.

1971 Series 1 240z

-SR20DET-(Stock turbo/ecu)

-Full interior with 100 sq.ft. fatmat and auto-mat throughout.

-8 speaker system, 2 amplifiers, rear MSA speaker box

-Full Tank

-Factory Heater system

-Aftermarket seats(shed only 6lb's total)

-Rota RB 16x8 +04 w/ 225/50/16 Falken Azeni's(each wheel weighs 16lb's)

-Toyota 4x4 front brakes, 240sx rear disc brake setup. (seriously considering dropping the dough on the front wilwood setup, not because i need more braking power but dropping quite a few lb's of unsprung weight would be the best improvement at this point in the game.

-3" Mild Steel Mandrel bent exhaust

-300zx Turbo CLSD R200 w/ stock halfshafts

-No spare tire(subs are in the wheel well)

-Huge intercooler

-Aluminum radiator

That should be about it I think. So anyways with a full tank of gas this car came up to 2400 flat. I should easily be in the < or = 2200lb region with a completely stripped interior.

Weight update:

71 240Z. Engine/Drivetrain: RB25DE w/ 5-spd, 2 ft exhaust system, double pass aluminum rad, R200. Chassis: SFC, boxed seat mounts, boxed trans members inside tunel, 1/8'' engine compartment frame rails, core support replaced with 1'' round tubing, F&R strut tower reinforcing. Interior: aluminum dash, one fiberglass Recaro with aluminum mounts, Auto power roll bar, stripped wiring harness, 12 LB Oddysey battery, 12 gallon aluminum fuel tank with square tubing fuel cage. Exterior: no bumpers, all stock glass, all metal panels, AZC front brakes, MM 240sx rear, shortened struts w/ koni's and GC coil overs, 1'' front 7/8 rear sway bars, modded control arms with rod ends.

2220 LBS with 5 gallons of fuel.

Shooting for ~2100 after VQ swap.

What I can't figure out is why we haven't seen one yet. The red LS1 car was 2500 lbs, I'm not sure what Cameron's weighs, but theoretically a 2200 lb LS powered Z shouldn't be too hard to build. And yes, it would be awesome.

Cameron thinks his is capable of high 11's and his motor is apparently stock: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=137500

Yes I think I'm close but have yet to scale my car. It sure is quick by my standards. Jon - you need to bite the bullet and get one for yourself.

Thanks

Cameron