HybridZ

Splines?

Roggaman

Does anyone know what spline standard Nissan has used on the stub axle (not sure if it´s caled stub axle, it´s the part connecting the driveshafts to the wheels, running inside the wheel bearings) of the 280ZX?

Sorry for not knowing the exact name of the part, if I had write it in Swedish I would have gotten it right, but then very few of you would have understood anything at all.

I know the number of splines and the outher diameter, but would like to know what module it is.

I am making some new hubs to fit BMW wheels and brakes.

The front hubs are already done, and the blueprints for the rear ones are done exccept for the splines.

Do a search on this forum. This was discussed in great detail within the last month. You will find detailed pictures and discussion of the spline count of the 240 stub axle , the 280 stub axle, Ross's new billet stubs and the z32 TT stubs. You will also find a great deal of interest in a higher spline count stub axle, so if you actually build one you might sell a few.

• 2 weeks later...
Do a search on this forum. This was discussed in great detail within the last month. You will find detailed pictures and discussion of the spline count of the 240 stub axle , the 280 stub axle, Ross's new billet stubs and the z32 TT stubs. You will also find a great deal of interest in a higher spline count stub axle, so if you actually build one you might sell a few.

Pictures and someone telling me how many splines there is gives me nothing...

I need to know the module and/or as many measures as possible of the toots.

I searched through all (I think) the posts on "splines", and came up with nothing!

I´ll send a message to Scotty and Tim to see if they know, or maybe Ross C has the answer!?

Guest JAMIE T

Good luck.

That seems like ALOT of trouble to use wheels. Why not use BMW hubs? Make new rear hub carrier or what ever they're called on 280ZX's. The BMW hubs are probably better anyway. Just get new shafts made with the appropriate ends. I doubt Ross will give you his detailed drawings. He will make you set of stub axles with any bolt pattern you want though.

Unfortunately its going to be difficult to determine what JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) the splines were originally designed to. If memory serves me correctly the first JIS systems were a hodge-podge of non-Japanese design/machining methodologies. It would be hard, therefore, to find any specific, and reliable, information concerning these parts.

There is more to correctly designing splines than just knowing the OD, tooth count, and module. There are pressure angles/flat roots, circular pitch...etc. I'm no expert when it comes to gears/involute splines... there's ALOT to it.

You could probably make something work with the basic information but...

Ordering the Stubs from Ross (Modern Motorsports) would be more cost effective than trying to produce a one-off part that will likely cost you thousands of dollars to develop. Ross' parts are of the highest quality and will achieve the result you require at a fraction of the cost. Just my humble opinion (everyone has one).

Oh, and...

... You probably won't be able to get the spline information from someone who has already taken the time to discern the correct spline dimensions and is currently producing the product you are intending to duplicate. That information could almost be considered proprietary.

If you're determined to do it... bust out a comparator and have some fun! :)

These stubs I´m making will cost me nothing, so I think it´s worth it!

I guess I just have to send the old ones with the drawing and let them make the new splines from the old ones.

BTW, here are some pics from the front hub and a drawing of the rear ones.

http://speedfreak.nu/modules.php?set_albumName=album436&id=Nav&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://speedfreak.nu/modules.php?set_albumName=album436&id=108_0833&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Roggaman,

Looks good. I have a question about something:

Pardon my terminology here (it's 0530)... The center feature, on the face of the hub looks really thin. Wouldn't it be better to make that feature solid like the stock stub?

"Zhadman"

It's only a centering device for the brake disc, and it is that thin to save weight...

"zcarnut"

The Z31 pattern is 5x4,5" (5x114,3), and BMW is 5x120mm (5x4,72"), so they are not interchangeable.

This is taking some time, but the cost is almost nothing.

I will be running 8x17" wheels up front with 312x20mm brake discs,

and 9,75x17" wheels at the back with 300x10mm discs

The Z31 pattern is 5x4' date='5" (5x114,3), and BMW is 5x120mm (5x4,72"), so they are not interchangeable.[/quote']

OK. Then why not drill the Z31 stud axle for the BMW bolt pattern? Seems like this would be a lower risk solution.

If you are determined to make your own axle then you should consider copying the Z31 one and not the 280ZX axle. The diameter of the ZX stub axle is actually smaller (30mm vs. 32mm) than the first generation 1970-78 Z cars. The Z31 stub axle starts out at a 30mm diameter but then it tapers out to a diameter of 35mm where the wheel flange is. It’s a much better design over the ZX one.

• Like 1

OK. Then why not drill the Z31 stud axle for the BMW bolt pattern? Seems like this would be a lower risk solution.

If you are determined to make your own axle then you should consider copying the Z31 one and not the 280ZX axle. The diameter of the ZX stub axle is actually smaller (30mm vs. 32mm) than the first generation 1970-78 Z cars. The Z31 stub axle starts out at a 30mm diameter but then it tapers out to a diameter of 35mm where the wheel flange is. It’s a much better design over the ZX one.

Used Z31 parts don't grow on threes in Sweden, and buying new ones ain't that cheep.

I had plans for doing a completely custom made axle with 35mm bearings and beefier splines, but than I will be forced to make a custom made joint for the CV-axle, and time is somewhat short...