HybridZ

280 vs 280zx stub axle

Hi All,

I need to upgrade my 240 stubs to 280 after experiencing that oh so ugly SNAPPPPPPP !!!!! My local Pick a part has not had a 280 for the last 6 months, but they have plenty of 280 ZX's both NA and a turbo car.... Does anyone know if the ZX stubs will work in a 240 housing. I am buying Russ C's Billett Companion flanges to convert to 280 zxt CV shafts so that side is covered... If not does anybody have a clean set of 280 Stubs they are willing to part with for a reasonable price ???

Thanks much guys,

Tim

Well what differencial are you running, a r180 or an r200?

if you are running an r200 the 280 should fit but you will need the hub assambly I believe, if you are running a r180 then I would just drop the whole rear end and drive shaft of the 280 and bolt it up, doing that with a zx would be more involved. If you just want a quick fix and have a r180, then I can help you. I have 280z that I recently drove and it has a r180. I am currently dismantling it to do a full paint job. I already have an r200 that I'm getting out of my junk 280. so if you are interested then email me ak.mikekim@gmail.com

I'll include the hub assembly if you need it b/c of the difference in splines. you might want to get bearings though.

Thanks For the feedback.. I already have the LSD r 200 in place with the Ron Tyler front mount and the moustache bar raised as high as possible. I have the Turbo 280 CV halfshafts on the shelf ready to go and will order billett 280 companion flages from Ross C at next paycheck.

We know for sure the turbo spline count is wrong.... Does anybody know spline count and dims on NA 280 zx stub Just hoping to find that the NA 280 zx stubs are same spline and dimensions as 1st gen 280, but looks like perhaps not the case... oh well

The 280ZX stub axle (NA and turbo are the same) has 25 splines like the 240Z stub axle but the diameter of the 280ZX stub axle is actually smaller (30mm vs. 32mm) than the first generation 1970-78 Z cars.

I think Nissan decreased the diameter of the 280ZX axle because they went to a larger (increased outside diameter) outer bearing for the 280ZX. In order to use a “standard dimensioned†bearing Nissan decreased the diameter of the stub axle. The smaller diameter of the stub axle would not allow using 27 splines so they went back to 25.

BTW, Nissan basically copied the Datsun 810 stub axle design for the 280ZX which had been in use since 1977.